Daniel Johnson Tour??

HodgeNNicole

I am thinking about using Daniel Johnson monkey/snorkel tour.  However, I have tried to reach out to them with questions and it has been about a week with no return e-mail.

Has anybody had any recent experience with them?

Or can anyone answer where they go to snorkel on the trip?

I have read that there are some shallower places near a reef and there is also a short boat ride to a location.  My wife and younger son are a little tentative in deeper water so I was hoping to contact them about the shallower reef??

Posted (edited)

@HodgeNNicole I wouldn’t book with anyone who doesn’t respond for a week.

We had an amazing private tour of Roatán last month booked via Rony’s Tours. Saw & learned a lot from our guide, a gentleman named Cardy (like the rum or the rapper).

He’s a scuba divemaster & worked as an EMT of sorts amongst other things in the past. He had so much interesting info to share & was much more than just a nice guy who drove us around to see sloths & beaches. He got us into a resort for free that normally charges $20pp for the day. We didn’t really spend time there but we walked around… very nice resort.

He would have gone anywhere we wanted & I’m sure he could take you to a snorkel spot that fits your preferences.

***FYI, Cardy doesn't normally work for Rony, he just picks up extra tours if Rony is busy. You can contact him directly at youthwithmission@gmail.com.

Needless to say, I highly recommend him. We’ve kept in touch over the past month. He’s such a nice guy.

Edited by OCSC Mike

• 2 weeks later...

@HodgeNNicole, we are booked with Daniel Johnson for October. Our beach stop is at Brady's Cay. I made our booking back in January and had excellent communication with them. Just 5 minutes ago, I did send an email with a question to them. Hopefully they will reply, and if so I'll come back here and let you know. I agree that not hearing from them for a week is concerning.

We did a tour with DJ when we were in Roatan last time, and communication was excellent then too. We only did transportation and The Hangout, so I don't have previous experience with the beach break/snorkeling.

We are looking to do something different than going out to the West End to places like Bananarama.  Like the idea of getting someone like Cardy for a tour around the Island, Im sure that theres a lot to see.  Maybe 1 beach stop for a little but not wanting to do the typical all day West End thing again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, miss_rach said:

We are looking to do something different than going out to the West End to places like Bananarama.  Like the idea of getting someone like Cardy for a tour around the Island, Im sure that theres a lot to see.  Maybe 1 beach stop for a little but not wanting to do the typical all day West End thing again.

It will depend on what you do and don't find interesting but the beauty of it is you can organize it however you want and even make changes on the fly. We had a few definite stops planned (sloths and a school to drop off donations) but the rest was mostly us asking to see as much of the island as possible and leaving it in his hands.

Private tours are also quite affordable on Roatan.

I had no idea we'd check out a resort for free (even if we just walked around for a little and left) or stop at another resort known for diving and swimming with dolphins where Cardy showed us a hyperbaric chamber used to treat divers.

We find random stuff interesting like seeing a bunch of American fast food restaurants, learning how the island is governed compared to mainland Honduras, etc., but there's obviously time for beach, shopping, pictures, a bite to eat, etc. on top of the cultural stuff. We did drive through the West End, we just didn't stop to spend time there.

Edited by OCSC Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 9:34 PM, JustUs275 said:

@HodgeNNicole, we are booked with Daniel Johnson for October. Our beach stop is at Brady's Cay. I made our booking back in January and had excellent communication with them. Just 5 minutes ago, I did send an email with a question to them. Hopefully they will reply, and if so I'll come back here and let you know. I agree that not hearing from them for a week is concerning.

We did a tour with DJ when we were in Roatan last time, and communication was excellent then too. We only did transportation and The Hangout, so I don't have previous experience with the beach break/snorkeling.

I think we are going to do the same thing you did with just the transportation and The hangout.   

Can you let me know more about it....Did it go smoothly?  Where did you meet them?  Was the pick up about an hour after the ship ported?  How long were you there?  What about tipping?  Who do you tip, besides your driver?  

4 hours ago, elsplace2 said:

I think we are going to do the same thing you did with just the transportation and The hangout.   

Can you let me know more about it....Did it go smoothly?  Where did you meet them?  Was the pick up about an hour after the ship ported?  How long were you there?  What about tipping?  Who do you tip, besides your driver?  

It's been several years so I really don't remember specifics. I do remember it was storming/windy while we were there so that put a damper on things. Other than weather, the excursion itself went very smoothly. We met them outside of the port and yes about an hour after porting sounds right. The driver pointed out things of interest as we drove to The Hangout. I'd say we were there about 1.5 hours maybe? We tipped our driver well. We had brought (for a friend) a supply of jewelry making items to donate to a local shop. It was storming so badly that shops were closed, but the driver actually knew that shop owner and offered to deliver the items herself the next day. My friend did reach out to the shop and the items had been delivered. I thought it was nice that she did that for us. Anyway, we enjoyed the Hangout experience and the excursion as a whole! We are looking forward to our upcoming excursion with them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:28 PM, JustUs275 said:

It's been several years so I really don't remember specifics. I do remember it was storming/windy while we were there so that put a damper on things. Other than weather, the excursion itself went very smoothly. We met them outside of the port and yes about an hour after porting sounds right. The driver pointed out things of interest as we drove to The Hangout. I'd say we were there about 1.5 hours maybe? We tipped our driver well. We had brought (for a friend) a supply of jewelry making items to donate to a local shop. It was storming so badly that shops were closed, but the driver actually knew that shop owner and offered to deliver the items herself the next day. My friend did reach out to the shop and the items had been delivered. I thought it was nice that she did that for us. Anyway, we enjoyed the Hangout experience and the excursion as a whole! We are looking forward to our upcoming excursion with them.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it....too bad it rained...I hope it doesn't when we go.

• Like 1