Costa Maya or Yucatan Progreso ?

We like Costa Maya.  The port has built up quite a bit. We enjoy taking an excursion to Mahahaul.  We did a Segway tour through Jaguar Truck Adventures.  We stopped for shopping and ate at a local beachside restaurant.  The port has many shops and restaurants if you are not adventurous.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kaz828 said:

Never been to either, what do most prefer and why? 

IMG_20210923_081327976.thumb.jpg.bc8df8db39cb8003d04652b1524165e7.jpg

I've been to Costa Maya several times.  These days, I don't always get off the ship there.  The port area has some drinking, dining, and shopping opportunities in the immediate area.  I haven't been to the little nearby town or visited the beaches.  There are some Mayan ruins some distance away that I thought were interesting.  

Costa Maya has a really long pier, but it's not as long as the one at...

IMG_20230412_154527.thumb.jpg.5a1bcc06c092e352f669a6c0f421a756.jpg

Progreso!  I've only visited here once, last spring.  It has a 4-mile pier, so you have to take a shuttle to get to Progreso town or take an excursion.  There are basically three choices here if you want to get off the ship - 1) go into town, 2) go to one of the Mayan ruins sites (Chichen Itza is the best known and most developed, but it's at least 2 hours away from the port, so there won't be much time to explore if you have an 8-hour stop), or 3) head to Merida.  I made the latter choice, and I'm glad I did.  I'm one of the weird ones that likes the thump-thump-thump of the big city, and Merida is pretty big by Caribbean standards.

I have two visits to Costa Maya early next year and I'm trying hard to stifle a yawn.  I don't have any visits to Progreso scheduled, but I wouldn't mind going back.

At Costa Maya with four ships you will be shoulder to shoulder with people, best to take a Mayan tour. The good point is how beautiful the water is there compared to Progreso. In Progres we took a nice city tour and then spent the rest of the day at the beach. Find a spot near a restaurant and you will have chairside service. 

If you like all inclusive beach resorts this is a good one to experience at Costa Maya:

https://costamayabeachresort.com/

We have been there several times and it is owned and operated by an American family who does a very good job providing a pleasant way to spend the day.  We have never been to Progreso so I can't answer for there.

Haven't been to Progreso, but was recently at Costa Maya. I really enjoyed it. The port is your standard cruise port. Shopping, bars, and even a pool, etc. We went over to Mahahual Beach. I want to say it was a $4 taxi each way. It was a small beach town. Beautiful beach, taco cart vendors, a lot more small business overall. I look forward to going back. 

• Like 2

We have been to both ports.  Not a big fan of Costa Maya.  A taxi to town will get you all of the venders that you could ever want.  A few beach clubs are decent. Maya Chan, Hayhu, and Yaya come to mind. We did a good tour of Chacchoben with Native Way.

Progreso has access to several ruins, and Merida.  We have taken a couple of trips to AI resorts, Reef Yucatan and Tecnohotel were nice.  Both were booked on line.  Just loafing on the Malecon is fun and don't pass up the local food.  You will find better bargains a few blocks off of the Malecon, but it helps if you know a little Spanish.

• Like 1