14 day Alaska cruise on the grand, but it also looks each leg could be done separately

Posted (edited)

We are doing a 14 day Alaska cruise on the grand in august(Vancouver to Whittier then back). I just notice on the web site that you can do the northbound, and the southbound legs separately. Can someone explain what happens when we get to Whittier? Do we have to get off and get back on? I assume the night before people will be putting out luggage, then the next day people boarding. We did not book a b2b cruise, we booked the 14 day cruise.

Thanks in advance

Don

Edited by diverdon48371

Posted (edited)

For those who booked as 14 day or B2B, Whittier is a ‘port day’ and because you will not be going to a foreign port till Vancouver, this is one of the few US ports you will not have to get off the ship and go thru immigration/customs, because you already do that at Canada Place when you embarked.

You can stay on the ship or go out and explore, take a shore excursion. I have done this 14 day trip a few times and the ship does get quiet until the first buses and trains start arriving with the newly embarking passengers.

Edited by wallyj

In your case you will be processed through U.S. immigration when boarding in Vancouver. There is no further Customs/Immigration required in Whitter. Whitter will just be another port day for you. Stay on board, book a tour, whatever you wish. Yes, there will be passengers embarking and disembarking.

How the cruise was booked is not relevant. 

• Like 1

Not much to do in Whittier except the 26 Glacier cruise. There is a nice small museum in the store/hotel down near the ferry terminal. I also love the first few hours after sailaway from Whittier, IMHO some of the best on the cruise

1. We did this cruise last month, June 5-19.  It was wonderful.  Our 5th time to Alaska.  Never gets old.  We liked going to the ports twice.  Once we would do an excursion and the other time we would just explore on our own.  Have fun.  

Cheers

• Like 1