QM2 short 2 night Southampton to Hamburg

richarduk

Hello.

I've cruised quite a number of times, but not Cunard.

The only reason I'm using Cunard this time is that I'm doing a short 2 night Southampton to Hamburg, but I realise it's the last part of a transatlantic from NYC.

Yes, my questions are mostly regarding dress code! I'll be quite mobile after arriving, so want to pack as light as possible. I'm in Queens Grills accommodation, but I don't think that makes any difference to my questions.

In no particular order...

1. Will there be a formal night the first night? I assume so as they never seem to be on the last night.

2. On the non-formal night, will trousers and a collared SHORT sleeve shirt (without jacket) be appropriate? for any restaurant and bar.

3. Is the dress code for breakfast in Queens Grill casual? Are smart shorts or jeans and deck shoes allowed for example?

4. This question is a bit more tricky. I have a restricted diet for medical reasons. If I choose to have dinner from the Queen's Grill in my suite, do I have to pre-order early in the day if I require gluten free? I ask, as there are some items marked suitable, but I've only noticed that on the Britannia restaurant menus so far.

Thanks for any clarity. No matter what anyone says, the published dress code never go into too much detail.

Th

33 minutes ago, richarduk said:

1. Will there be a formal night the first night? I assume so as they never seem to be on the last night.

The sailings on August 4th and October 13th this year show a gala for the second night in bluemarble's "Dress Code and Theme Schedules for 2024" sticky at top of page. That isn't always the case.

However they may be regarded as "optional" because some passengers will have put their main luggage out in the early evening ready for disembarkation in Hamburg.

51 minutes ago, richarduk said:

Hello.

I've cruised quite a number of times, but not Cunard.

The only reason I'm using Cunard this time is that I'm doing a short 2 night Southampton to Hamburg, but I realise it's the last part of a transatlantic from NYC.

Yes, my questions are mostly regarding dress code! I'll be quite mobile after arriving, so want to pack as light as possible. I'm in Queens Grills accommodation, but I don't think that makes any difference to my questions.

In no particular order...

2. On the non-formal night, will trousers and a collared SHORT sleeve shirt (without jacket) be appropriate? for any restaurant and bar.

3. Is the dress code for breakfast in Queens Grill casual? Are smart shorts or jeans and deck shoes allowed for example?

4. This question is a bit more tricky. I have a restricted diet for medical reasons. If I choose to have dinner from the Queen's Grill in my suite, do I have to pre-order early in the day if I require gluten free? I ask, as there are some items marked suitable, but I've only noticed that on the Britannia restaurant menus so far.

Thanks for any clarity. No matter what anyone says, the published dress code never go into too much detail.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. I would talk to the Maitre d at lunch as soon as you embark, and explain what you envisage. They are usually very efficient. I assume you have filled in the special requirements form.

1 hour ago, richarduk said:

It looks like we are on the same trip(s).  In addition to the comments already made, the issue of being "optional" due to disembarking at HAM (and thus leaving your luggage out for disembarkation the same night as the Gala) is in itself a movable feast. So I expect it to be formal on night 2, and there may, or may not, be a note in the Daily Programme about it being optional for those disembarking. My QA last week for SOU-HAM did not say optional, my QM2 a few weeks before did say it was optional. On the night, the overwhelming majority of people make an effort of some sort, even if disembarking. I follow the dress code to the letter, though I am down in steerage and disembarking since I would feel out of place to do otherwise.

2 & 3: yes that's OK, but we aware that August in the German Bight isn't like August in the Med. So personally I would never wear shorts in the Grills (since unfortunately I'm over 30 years old) and there won't be many others doing so, but some may and to be clear it is well within the dress code.  Jeans, polo and deck shoes for breakfast would be totally fine, on the other hand. But bear in mind the outside and a/c temperature may make you grateful to have a jacket of some sort handy, even if you may end up not wearing it.

4) Cunard is very used to Gluten-free. Actually it's very easy in Britannia cabins, since in the Kings Court they have a Gluten free counter on one side of the rest of the buffet, to avoid contamination. So the toaster there has a big sign on it saying "gluten free bread ONLY", for example. I'm sure the Grills will look after this very well, but have a look at Kings Court if you want a GF cookie at some point. And speak to your maître d'hôtel at an early stage and he will walk you through the options. You are right that the more notice the better, but a GF diet isn't unusual going to Hamburg, probably second to Vegetarian I would imagine. You can also talk to your butler about this too.

Once you book your sailing, you can go into your booking and request a gluten free diet.  If you used a travel agent, just give them a call and they will take care of it.  Enjoy your trip.