Question for Eurocruiser - trains

erby2283

I don't know why but I am just so confused with the Trenitalia website. 🫣

Still debating on how to get to the port from our VRBO - which is located near the Colosseum on Via Labicana.  Seems it is close enough to get a taxi - or our hosts may even offer a ride to Termini for us. But then do I select tickets to Civitavecchia Port or a different stop? When I did Termini to Civittavecchia port it said there was one transfer - was I misreading that? I'd rather pay for seats so we can keep an eye on our luggage. Also, I thought I read somewhere that you could pick up a shuttle from the train to the port for an additional fee - but it may have been from a particular train stop.  

We are three middle-aged women - do you personally feel we'd be ok with this option knowing pickpockets are a plenty in Rome or would you fork out more money for a private transfer?  

TYIA.

33 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

But then do I select tickets to Civitavecchia Port or a different stop?

Just select Roma Termini to Civitavecchia Tutte Le Stazioni on the Trenitalia website-- it should then show all nonstops. 

35 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

I'd rather pay for seats so we can keep an eye on our luggage.

You can reserve seats on the Frecciabianca in either 1st or 2nd class which is the "high speed train"-- in this case it just means its just newer and nicer. Its only 10-20 minutes faster than the regional.

The regional trains you can't reserve seats on. The Frecce is only a few Euro more-- I would just book a 1st class ticket. If done in advance it's literally a difference of 5 Euro per person from regional train to 1st class Frecce. 

37 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

We are three middle-aged women - do you personally feel we'd be ok with this option knowing pickpockets are a plenty in Rome or would you fork out more money for a private transfer?  

The train is perfectly safe-- you just need to keep your eyes and ears open like any major city. Obviously the private transfer saves you from getting to and from each train station. 

• Thanks 1

Let's take this step by step.

First, getting from your apartment to Termini, I would pay for a taxi if your host doesn't offer a ride.  It won't be much, and with luggage it will be easier.

Next, the train.  There are three different types of trains between Rome and Civitavecchia, two capacity controlled and seat assigned trains, and one regionale.  Again, with luggage I think the capacity controlled, seat assigned options are better and safer.  There is the IC and the Frecce.  The ICs usually make one stop en route and the Frecce makes none.  I would pick among these options the time that is most convenient for you.

As for the ticketing, if you choose Civitavecchia Porto as your destination, the ticket will include an additional 6 euro to cover the cost of the bus from the train station to your ship.  

The one with a change might be for the Civitavecchia Express train, that leaves from Rome Ostiense.  If you want this train, just take the taxi to Ostiense and the train from there.  It's out of the way and complicated to take a regional from Termini to Ostiense only to change at that point.

• Like 1

I just want to make a a comment on princeton123211's post.

If you select Civitavecchia Tutte Le Stazioni it's more confusing.  Just decide if you want the bus or not, if so use Civitavecchia Porto.  If not, use Civitavecchia.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@euro cruiser Thank you.  Do I book the Frecce using the Trenitalia website? I search Rome Termini to Civitavecchia Porto and all I get are options with one stop? I clearly am not smart enough to do this.... SMH. (For Sept 6, 2024).

Ah...think I figured it out.  I think the "one change" refers to the bus you board to take you to the port. 

Edited by erby2283

Posted (edited)

You got it, that's the change.  You know more than you think you do, it's just so confusing at first that it takes a minute to settle down and make sense.

And yes, book through Trenitalia.  That's your greatest source of protection (purchasing directly from the supplier) if anything goes wrong.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1