Whogo Live from Odyssey, 14 Nights Alaska July 12, 2024

On 7/27/2024 at 12:54 PM, seahill said:

I guess while you were playing trivia you missed the young children urinate in the pool showers, I was also on the 14day and was surrounded on deck 6 by all the family members whose kids ran up and down the halls barefoot, yelling and screaming all hours of the night, play in the elevators

The 40 some members of this family took over the pool and hot tubs daily.  In 14 days I saw only one older adult tryin to exercise in the pool only to be surrounded by screaming yelling running unsupervised children. No other adult member of this cruise would dare use the pool or hot tubs.

Complaints to upper staff of the ships crew went to deaf ears. They did tell me the showers by the pool were sterilized after i first witnessed it and made a complaint but no one stopped it from happening time and time again, This while passengers were tryin to eat.

Yes as daily activities were announced for adults none were listed for children.

This might be because Seabourn is not a cruise for children.

Once Jan had the children under control by a pizza making class which  took one hour out of their activities for 14 days.

Yes Alaska and Canada are beautiful  and no I did not sit by the pool. I also did excursions and got off the ship on port days.

Please don't make it sound as if these unsupervised children were well behaved because that is far from the truth. 

on the bright side, they probably didnt pee in the pool as much if they were using the showers instead! always look for the silver linings.

Remember, life is like ice cream, Enjoy it- before it melts!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@whogo 

Wonderful review!! I am usually someone who is held captive by photographs of a voyage more than what they are writing about their experience. You held my attention with your witty and informative writing style, Thank you for your honest and fun review. We are lowly Royal Caribbean cruisers for now but Seabourn is on our bucket list. 

• Like 1

Whogo, thanks for the blogging. I found it intriguing, as we took this same 14 day itinerary on Odyssey in 2023. It was one of our favorite cruises ever. Reasons: Southeast Alaska is beautiful. We took every zodiac ride available, and all were excellent. We stayed in a penthouse spa suite, extraordinary suite and 270 degree views, wall of windows. We enjoyed the included cocktails and wines daily. Unlike you, we attended the evening shows and every pool deck performance. Great performers. Amazing sail-away singing performance at Misty Fjords that indeed made us misty. Fun dance parties in the Club. 

So, to each his own.

• Like 5

On 8/17/2024 at 2:47 AM, kahuna21 said:

Whogo, thanks for the blogging. I found it intriguing, as we took this same 14 day itinerary on Odyssey in 2023. It was one of our favorite cruises ever. Reasons: Southeast Alaska is beautiful. We took every zodiac ride available, and all were excellent. We stayed in a penthouse spa suite, extraordinary suite and 270 degree views, wall of windows. We enjoyed the included cocktails and wines daily. Unlike you, we attended the evening shows and every pool deck performance. Great performers. Amazing sail-away singing performance at Misty Fjords that indeed made us misty. Fun dance parties in the Club. 

So, to each his own.

@kahuna21 we are booked on this same itinerary late June/early July next year and have also booked all the zodiac rides. Do you have any tips on clothing, what to do, what not to do on these rides as we've never done it before?! Thank you in advance for any advice

4 hours ago, Kensington-cruiser said:

@kahuna21 we are booked on this same itinerary late June/early July next year and have also booked all the zodiac rides. Do you have any tips on clothing, what to do, what not to do on these rides as we've never done it before?! Thank you in advance for any advice

Nothing to do on the rides except look and listen, and take photos if you like. Our zodiac drivers were knowledgeable about the wildlife and good at finding otters, seals, eagles, whales etc. Clothing: Seabourn will give you a jacket. It’s not heavy.  We wore the jacket on the zodiac, covered by a raincoat. Plus a layer or 2 below. And stocking caps, gloves. It will feel significantly colder in the zodiac than on the ship deck.  We had no difficulty keeping our feet dry. If you like nature/wildlife, you should love this cruise. We have been on 2 other Alaska cruises (Regent Seven Seas, Holland America), and Seabourn was way, way better than those. 

Kensington-cruiser, our Inian Islands zodiac ride was in steady rain. Most everyone wore the Seabourn lightweight breathable hooded jackets, I think Seabourn likes to take pictures of zodiacs full of Seabourn jacket wearers for marketing purposes. I was an outlier in black Gore-Tex. We both wore breathable waterproof pants. I wore a light wool sweater and knit gloves. Mrs. Whogo wore a stocking cap. I wore these cheap shoe covers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CW9QZZNG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 (Not really black, they were ugly translucent.) I did not see anyone else in boots. The laundrette's dryers were in demand after that excursion.

I wore the same on our second zodiac tour in Misty Fjords in good weather, I would have been happy in just a light jacket. I was ready to layer up with long underwear, a heavier sweater and waterproof gloves, if needed. Things would have been worse had we encountered wind or rough seas.

2 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Nothing to do on the rides except look and listen, and take photos if you like. Our zodiac drivers were knowledgeable about the wildlife and good at finding otters, seals, eagles, whales etc. Clothing: Seabourn will give you a jacket. It’s not heavy.  We wore the jacket on the zodiac, covered by a raincoat. Plus a layer or 2 below. And stocking caps, gloves. It will feel significantly colder in the zodiac than on the ship deck.  We had no difficulty keeping our feet dry. If you like nature/wildlife, you should love this cruise. We have been on 2 other Alaska cruises (Regent Seven Seas, Holland America), and Seabourn was way, way better than those. 

Thank you so much for the advice. We are very much looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, whogo said:

Kensington-cruiser, our Inian Islands zodiac ride was in steady rain. Most everyone wore the Seabourn lightweight breathable hooded jackets, I think Seabourn likes to take pictures of zodiacs full of Seabourn jacket wearers for marketing purposes. I was an outlier in black Gore-Tex. We both wore breathable waterproof pants. I wore a light wool sweater and knit gloves. Mrs. Whogo wore a stocking cap. I wore these cheap shoe covers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CW9QZZNG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 (Not really black, they were ugly translucent.) I did not see anyone else in boots. The laundrette's dryers were in demand after that excursion.

I wore the same on our second zodiac tour in Misty Fjords in good weather, I would have been happy in just a light jacket. I was ready to layer up with long underwear, a heavier sweater and waterproof gloves, if needed. Things would have been worse had we encountered wind or rough seas.

Thank you for the advice. It's really useful. Ive been looking at LOTS of packing advice for Alaska and I'm comfortable with what's needed for walking around the ports and on board, but there's not much advice out there about what conditions might be like when you're more exposed, out on the water on a zodiac excursion...... Thank you too for taking the time to write the live blog from your trip - I followed it with interest every day!

• Like 1