Did HAL Sell the Prinsendam?

iceman93

One could say that the "Signature" name reflects premium status. Hence, one of the line's "signature" (but currently unused) names should be used: "Nieuw Amsterdam."

If you know your HAL history - the original intended name for the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1936 was Prinsendam...

...how much more premium can you get?

:)

Taken in that context, a new Prinsendam would be more likely... and by the time they get around to the third or fourth Signature class the Amstersdam will likely be gone and Nieuw Amsterdam would fit right in.

Although there wasn't any relationship among the names for S and R class ships, the grouping of names within a class of ships that also had a name instead of just a letter has probably established a trend that will continue. I'm thinking perhaps former flagship names as a group could be fitting.

Thanks Grumpy for the encouragement -- there is little that woud keep us (short of the cruise not happening) from that sailing. Not only do I look forward to the cruise, but the chance to sail Prinsendam II before there is a Prinsendam III!

We notonly covet the itinerary, but the opportunity to once again sail a smaller ship. Most of the smaller ships that we loved have either gone down to the cost of SOLAS or are out of range of our pocket book.

It will be interesting to watch as events unfold -- I only hope they don't do so too rapidly.

Arzz- We are with you totally on this. I am just praying that we will be able to cruise her one more time on 8/25/07. The Celtic Kingdom itinerary is unique and the Prinsendam, my favorite of the fleet!:cool:

...and by the time they get around to the third or fourth Signature class the Amstersdam will likely be gone and Nieuw Amsterdam would fit right in.

Most unlikely. The 2nd Signature would be due in 2010, if I remember the press-release correctly. The current Amsterdam will only be 10 years old by then. It would be more likely -- though I would certainly hope that this would NOT be the case -- that the other Signature ship might be called "Statendam." The current Statendam will be 17 years old in 2010. Personally, I don't think that's too old ... not with the kind of TLC provided by the HAL staff and the upgrades she's had (and will have) between now and then. But, industry pressure might say otherwise. :(

I agree ... "Prinsendam" would be an excellent name for either of these ships based upon the idea of a "Signature name" theme.

HAL should pay us for thinking for them! :D

Let me try this again. I tried posting and my computer failed.

I like to go back in history a little and show that both the R-Class ships and the S-Class ships did have some names that are simular back in history. First of all I believe it was the Maasdam and Ryndam that were sisters back in the day, and once again they are together as sister now. Then their comes along the old V-sisters, VOlendam and Veendam, this is where I don't understand where HAL came up and split them they could have been grouped together. Both the old Nieuw Amsterdam before the sister of Noordam, and Rotterdam were flag ships of the fleet in their time. Now the share the title of flag ship again. In the 1970 and 1980s there was a small HAL ship that was smaller and every other in the company and you know the name of that one,??? If someone guessed it was the "Prinsendam" 1000 points for the people that got that right. LOL. My opinion is that is why they gave that name to their smallest ship. Luckly the "Star" had a better outcome than the old Prinsendam.

HAL has many names of ships that they have that they can use. Some are names of frighters that can be changed just like they did with the Oosterdam. Their are even tugs that HAL had back in the hay day. Remember HAL is a company that is over 125 years old. Rumor has it that one of the ships that try to come to the rescue of the Titanic was the Rotterdam.

As you can tell in todays cruising climate once a ship is old, and not making enough money it is sent off for another one. I think this is a bad practice. I know I will get a yelling at this, HAL is still selling out most of their ships, but I can see why they would want to have a bigger ship to bring in more income. One thing people don't remember is that their is a cooperation that runs HAL. HAL is not like it was before. When this cooperation which is one of the biggest in the world feels that a ship doesn't fit they will get rid of it and put another one in its place. Remember if people demand something and they can fill the rooms of that ship or a bigger ship then most likely they will put a bigger ship on that route.

One thing right now that is saving some of the smaller ships and HALs plans for ships is that they want to be able to get their ships from the East coast to the West coast when Alaska season comes. And they fastest way to do this is the Panama canal and there is a size restriction of the Locks. I hope this day never comes when HAL decides to go like some other companies and makes ships bigger and the locks (Post Panamax) stations ships on the East and West coast.

Geoffrey

24 cruise on HAL in 26 years on Earth

Rumor has it that one of the ships that try to come to the rescue of the Titanic was the Rotterdam.

Actually, it was the first Noordam en-route to NYC who sent the ice warning that Titanic received. I believe Rotterdam (IV) was at her pier in Rotterdam at the time...

Now if I recall my history correctly, wasn't Rotterdam(III) renamed Maasdam (II or III) so that the name would be freed up for the 'new' Rotterdam(IV) of 1908? Although unlikely, who's to say that couldn't happen w/ the current Amsterdam in favor of one of the Signatures?

All very interesting suggestions but my money for the name(s) of the Signature class is still on one (or more, depending how many will be built) of the historic names and HAL has still a few of those to chose from:

Edam

Leerdam

Potsdam

Spaarndam

Probably the Princess ship that was afire last week. Me thinks you were up too late, Doug.

That would depend upon how you interpret "better outcome." No one died during the fire and sinking of the old Prinsendam.

Sooooo...if one were interested in the 14 Night Prinsendam for Christmas 2006 would you still consider it?

No one would want to book a Christmas cruise only to have it cancelled. The number of cruises for greater than 7 nights during the holidays is extremely limited. Many categories on all the lines are already sold out.

Sooooo...if one were interested in the 14 Night Prinsendam for Christmas 2006 would you still consider it?

No one would want to book a Christmas cruise only to have it cancelled. The number of cruises for greater than 7 nights during the holidays is extremely limited. Many categories on all the lines are already sold out.

Absolutely! It will be the first sailing after her drydock, so there may be a few little glitches the first day or two, but we are looking forward to boarding as the Holiday cruisers depart. I have no question in my mind as to whether or not she will sail as planned.

ArubaLisa-

I would also book her in a heartbeat!:) If you have a concern aout cancellation, how about joining us on the Amsterdam for it's 14 day Panama Canal/Southern Caribbean cruise???

That cruise includes 3 days in the paradise of the ABC Islands!!! It would be great to have more CCer's aboard!:D

ArubaLisa -- are you planning on cruising with your children at Christmas on the Prinsendam? It is my understanding that this ship has no real accomodations for children's programs -- before booking, if you would want to use Club HAL at all, you should check to see how HAL handles Christmas on the Prinsendam.

I very much empathize with your desire to sail on her before she disappears from the HAL fleet. Good luck with your plans. Seven days is not long enough.

localady- thanks so much for the invite. That is very sweet of you. Unfortunately the Itinerary is the same as we did this past Christmas on the Galaxy. Also leaves a little too early. Dh is a teacher and his break runs 12/23 - 1/7. He could get out 2 days early with personal days, but 3...

arzz- that is a VERY huge "heads up". Dd would never speak to me again if there was not a kids club on board.

So I guess right now it is looking like the Summit with Celebrity or the Maasdam. If it is the Maasdam, have to decide whether to leave from Norfolk or Lauderdale. My mom thinks leaving from Norfolk is going to be too rough getting past Hatteras. This is the same woman who does not think it will be too rough crossing from Los Angeles to Hawaii at the end of December :rolleyes: There was no "Christmas" on Celebrity's Galaxy last year, but that is a story for another forum. I'm betting the family will decide it is going to be the Maasdam!

Probably the Princess ship that was afire last week. Me thinks you were up too late, Doug.

Ah, got it now! I should have been able to figure that out :o ...

(Up too late again, you'll notice ;) ...)

Absolutely - even if she is sold it would be very unlikely that she would leave the fleet that soon.

As I said, the fact that she is for sale should not concern anyone. Just go and enjoy her while you can!

Absolutely - even if she is sold it would be very unlikely that she would leave the fleet that soon.

As I said, the fact that she is for sale should not concern anyone. Just go and enjoy her while you can!

You're right! At this point, it's all just posturing with the usual rumor control added;)

If it is the Maasdam, have to decide whether to leave from Norfolk or Lauderdale. My mom thinks leaving from Norfolk is going to be too rough getting past Hatteras.

While the seas are indeed rough in that spot of ocean, I would advise against Norfolk because of the very poor boarding experience there. I have no doubt that the exceedingly long delay in getting the new cruise ship terminal built is at least one factor causing HAL to pull out.

Grumpy, I'm glad to see that you are so confident that you are going on the SA trip - as - I'm confident that I'm going on the 56 day Africa & Med the day you get off !!

Over on our Roll Call - Judy & I just hate this thread - I wish HAL would say what's what and end this speculation. I want to be on the trip in '07!!!

I don't care what ship - just so they don't cancel the whole thing !

MaryAnn

I wish HAL would say what's what and end this speculation.
What would there be to tell? At this point, unless it's a "done deal," HAL doesn't know what's what. While I would believe they'd hold onto the ship through the currently-published itineraries, if a buyer offered enough money for it to be worthwhile for HAL to cancel all future cruises then I'm sure they would. But that is highly unlikely. I guess I'm just trying to say that if HAL were to say anything now it wouldn't be any more than speculation on their part, either.

Arubalisa -- before you give up on the Prinsendam do check with HAL about their Christmas plans

If you do the Maasdam, you will have a truly great trip. We were on the Maasdam this Christmas (and the Zaandam with you a year earlier, though I did not "come out" to CC'ers on that cruise). (We are teachers also -- I just retired last year and my DH is done this June -- that is how we can schedule 24 days on Prinsendam in Janurary '07 -- Oh...the freedom to travel when we wish.....)

The Maasdam is an R class ship and if you liked the Zaandam you will find the Maasdam even better as it is a bit smaller -- and it has some of the most incredible art and antiques on display. Their classical string players in the Explorers lounge were among the best that we have encountered. The whole experience was really excellent. We did not share Iceman's poor boarding experience in Norfolk. We spent the pre-cruise night in town, taxied over to the pier and were on board and munching in the Lido in just a few minutes.

The staff on board were incredible -- we did not suffer significant seas on our way South or in the Caribbean but we really got hit the last sea day going North. My DH and I are seasoned cruiser and know what to do to avoid significant discomfort so we enjoyed the day, but many on board stayed in their cabins most of the day -- and this is where the staff really shined -- they kept it all going even though many of them were not as well as they could have been, and with the sounds of breaking crockery from the pantry on our floor as well as the dining room and kitchen, the seas certainly did provide them loads of extra work.

We also appreciated Norfolk as for us it was MUCH easier to schedule air (and much less expensive) than to got hrough Florida. Whatever you choose you will have a great trip.

Somehow, this thread evolved into seeming to ME that 'it was a done deal but we don't know when,' and, also, 'we're still going on it in '07 '- very confusing.

Then some of you guys are already naming ships !! So I asked - what's what !?

I'll just have to wait until I hear it from the horse's mouth.

M.A.

Archived