No more unlimited Elite BP non-alcoholic beverages??

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So, we have several posts showing screen shots of the wording on the website. We also have a member on a HAL ship stating that the "Elite" beverage package does indeed include unlimited non alcoholic drinks. For the member who said one of the posted screen shots didn't say "unlimited" soft drinks...you didn't look hard enough. Now can we put this to bed, until member, actually on a ship encounters something different. And yes you are spreading rumors when you say "someone on another forum said..."

Clearly you have not read the entire conversation as the conflicting information originates with the HAL website. HAL should be the source of truth concerning what the Elite package covers and does not cover, but it is not. Also, one ship and one bartender indicating the Elite package allows for unlimited soft beverages is a single point of data and not authoritative. What is authoritative is HAL clarifying the package benefits. Also, no one is forcing you to click into this topic. Nothing is stopping you from putting it to rest on your device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

Clearly you have not read the entire conversation as the conflicting information originates with the HAL website. HAL should be the source of truth concerning what the Elite package covers and does not cover, but it is not. Also, one ship and one bartender indicating the Elite package allows for unlimited soft beverages is a single point of data and not authoritative. What is authoritative is HAL clarifying the package benefits. Also, no one is forcing you to click into this topic. Nothing is stopping you from putting it to rest on your device.

Ah yes but I did read the whole thread. Post #9 shows the information clearly from the website. In post #36 @POA1 posted a pdf of the information and it shows unlimited drinks in that brochure. And in post #42 @BBQ Bacon posted a screen shot showing unlimited drinks. As other members have said good luck getting a response. Also don't forget that one individual's answer from HAL is no more "authoritative" than the written information posted by several members. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

HAL is very consistent about being inconsistent. After reading this whole thread I am more confused than ever.

In reality, they are probably intentionally inconsistent. Since one person’s interpretation of the package is different than another person’s, it makes it very easy to change what the package includes. We have several examples of this in the thread: fresh squeezed OJ included or not included depending upon whom you speak with, soft drinks count or are not counted, et al. The wording is intentionally vague. It is also the mark of a poorly run and less than ethical company. The reason I booked this cruise with HAL is the size of the ship and my last experience with them in 2013. It would seem they are not the same. I mentioned earlier I was considering canceling this trip, but decided against it. What I will do in the future is never book with any CCL line again. There are too many companies, too many boats and too many choices to have to put up with this nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Also don't forget that one individual's answer from HAL is no more "authoritative" than the written information posted by several members. 

If they respond to me, I’ll post if for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

We have several examples of this in the thread: fresh squeezed OJ included or not included depending upon whom you speak with,

A perfect example - they started the fresh juice exclusion on the ships BEFORE changing any of the written sales and marketing. I remember because I experienced it onboard. This is how it happens. Changes first in the onboard practices, followed by eventual updates in the written sales and marketing materials. Thus the concern that the onboard reports are harbingers of official policy changes in writing to come. The issue for many of us is that Elite with the unlimited zero proof drinks makes a lot of sense for no/low alcohol drinkers while without the zero proof exclusion, may as well have the downgraded SBP. 

A related question from a HAL newbie, if I may...

How do you keep track of your 15 beverages (Signature plan through Have it All, if that matters)? Does the count show up in your app? Do you keep your own count, somehow? 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, redyellownow said:

A related question from a HAL newbie, if I may...

How do you keep track of your 15 beverages (Signature plan through Have it All, if that matters)? Does the count show up in your app? Do you keep your own count, somehow? 

Thanks!

I keep my own count. But any beverage staff can look it up for you in the system. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

A perfect example - they started the fresh juice exclusion on the ships BEFORE changing any of the written sales and marketing. I remember because I experienced it onboard. This is how it happens. Changes first in the onboard practices, followed by eventual updates in the written sales and marketing materials. Thus the concern that the onboard reports are harbingers of official policy changes in writing to come. The issue for many of us is that Elite with the unlimited zero proof drinks makes a lot of sense for no/low alcohol drinkers while without the zero proof exclusion, may as well have the downgraded SBP. 

Who are these onboard reports people? I'd give the reports some credence if it happened to be someone from this board whose reputation I knew. But, when I hear it's some rando from FB, my BS detector starts making the whoop-whoop sound. (You know the one... with the flashing yellow light.)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Who are these onboard reports people? I'd give the reports some credence if it happened to be someone from this board whose reputation I knew. But, when I hear it's some rando from FB, my BS detector starts making the whoop-whoop sound. (You know the one... with the flashing yellow light.)

This thread below, post #16 by @Cruising Is Bliss:

1 hour ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

they started the fresh juice exclusion on the ships BEFORE changing any of the written sales and marketing. I remember because I experienced it onboard. This is how it happens.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Considering your previous experiences with HAL “sliding” in changes, it would not surprise me if this is what they are doing once again.

My guess is the more HAL squeezes, they more likely they will have last time cruisers. There is too much competition out there to have to tolerate what can be considered a contempt for their customers. In contrast, I had an issue with a smaller cruise line last year, but it was beautifully handled by them and I am booking again during Christmas of 2025. HAL was my second choice and the only reason I did not book with the other line was timing. Good CS and management does keep customers 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

What I will do in the future is never book with any CCL line again. There are too many companies, too many boats and too many choices to have to put up with this nonsense.

CCL isn't the only company with "nonsense". It's a common theme for all cruise lines. Try NCL some time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I keep my own count. But any beverage staff can look it up for you in the system. 

We mostly ended up for a nightcap in the Ocean lounge at end of the evening, so the servers got to know us.  If ordering something like a cognac/scotch/spirits they would often say "would you like that as a double, as you have room left".  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, greensprout said:

We mostly ended up for a nightcap in the Ocean lounge at end of the evening, so the servers got to know us.  If ordering something like a cognac/scotch/spirits they would often say "would you like that as a double, as you have room left".  

Many people may not know that your bartenders and beverage servers, I’m reliably informed, make the vast bulk of their compensation as commission from the drink service charge on every beverage you buy, whether on package or not. Good sales tactic - use it or lose it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Many people may not know that your bartenders and beverage servers, I’m reliably informed, make the vast bulk of their compensation as commission from the drink service charge on every beverage you buy, whether on package or not. Good sales tactic - use it or lose it!

Of course!  And re the 15 drinks, I easily consume 6-8 cans of water daily so if not included it would be an issue for me.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Everyone does know that the tap water is drinkable and included in your cruise fare whether you have a drink package or not, right?

I suppose this varies from ship to ship, even desalinated batch to batch (is that where they get it?  or is it from shore?  shows what I know), as well as on one's individual sensitivity to chemicals and chlorination, but I find the tap water to be not palatable, putting it politely.  I'll drink it in Lido if I don't want the eternal wait for a bottled or canned water and have forgotten to pick one up on the way in, but it does not please me.  This, I suppose, is a matter for one's own tastes and desires.  I'm not saying it is not drinkable, just not for me if I can help it...

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I suppose this varies from ship to ship, even desalinated batch to batch (is that where they get it?  or is it from shore?  shows what I know), as well as on one's individual sensitivity to chemicals and chlorination, but I find the tap water to be not palatable, putting it politely.  I'll drink it in Lido if I don't want the eternal wait for a bottled or canned water and have forgotten to pick one up on the way in, but it does not please me.  This, I suppose, is a matter for one's own tastes and desires.  I'm not saying it is not drinkable, just not for me if I can help it...

The tap water tends to be awful. I live in Philadelphia and the water is clean, but unpleasant, thus my filter. The water onboard is worse than Philly water. Besides, the point of this thread is understanding what the Elite package covers and not whether the tap water is drinkable. The previous mention of the tap water is a straw-man argument or a logical fallacy.

Anyway, if and when I get a response, I will post it. If what you noted is correct, HAL will not answer because they do not want to put anything into writing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

I am trying to determine if you are putting your liver up for the test or if you just mean the limit? 😝

I'm training the liver now so that it's ready for the cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

This thread below, post #16 by @Cruising Is Bliss:

I reread that whole thread. It appears the person who posted it had gotten info from some confused employees. Also, "posting from the Crow's Nest" would be more helpful with a ship name included.

A couple of points: First, the HAL Guest Relations email deals with post cruise issues for the most part. I've had to email them in the past. As soon as  I sent them an email, I got a case number auto reply. This happened on a couple of occasions.

Second point: The Beverage Package logic is programmed into the ship's POS system. It would be super easy, barely an inconvenience, to check. If you have the Elite Beverage Package, buy an alcoholic drink. (Maker's Mark on the rocks works best for this kind of research.)  Then, ask how many alcoholic drinks you have left. Next order a can of water or other non-alcohol drink. Now, repeat the question about how many alcohol drinks you have left. The answer should be the same if the boozeless drinks don't count.

I spoke to a friend on the Nieuw Amsterdam who had the EBP as part of HIA+ Friday afternoon. I asked him to run the experiment for me. He agreed, but refused to order the reference drink of science.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

About a half hour later, I had an answer. The water did not count toward the total. I also found out that they have printed versions of the the Beverage Package handout on the ship. That's the PDF I posted earlier in the thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10