Currently on Magnifica - questions?

cellfree

After 12+ MSC cruises we are on Magnifica out of Miami, embarked Friday the 12th for seven nights. 
We are enjoying ship and cruise and all that goes with that. 
If anyone has questions I will do my best to answer. 

Are you going to try the Oriental Palace restaurant?   Interested as to differences between Galaxy/Kaito Sushi on other ships.

31 minutes ago, Até said:

Are you going to try the Oriental Palace restaurant?   Interested as to differences between Galaxy/Kaito Sushi on other ships.

We are experiencing the Oriental Plaza Restaurant this evening. Will eventually report back. Typically we enjoy Butcher’s Cut on MSC ships and this is first ship we have been on not to have one. Husband loves/favors steak so we will see how it goes. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alli_Shoes said:

What are the nightly shows/entertainment like?

Nightly Shows in Royal Theatre are fine, last about 30 minutes, two male singers excellent, somewhat more variety than shows we have seen elsewhere. Of course everyone has their own preferences. 

Oriental Plaza Dining - the reason we ate there is because we are diamond level and receive a free specialty restaurant meal. We much prefer Butcher’s Cut on other MSC vessels.  It was just okay for us, not sure if we would even do it again should we sail on Magnifica again. The two appetizers were good. Entrees - I chose salmon which was good but only came with a few vegetable sprigs and husband had steak choice which also just came with a few veggies and although the steak was good it was a smaller portion than I would ever serve to anyone. At the same time as you get your entree you also get chef’s choice of sushi which was a very decent amount and a variety but we are not sushi people so whether the sushi was good or bad I cannot say. We have the beverage package but choices were limited so if you are drinking something specific that you prefer it is best to take it in with you.

All this to say everyone has their own preferences in food, for us this was a little underwhelming. Husband’s comment as I write this is “it was okay but we wouldn’t do it again.”

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Até said:

You had asked about comparing sushi on other ships. Interestingly enough we often eat at the Sushi Restaurant at least once on Mera and other MSC ships (and Carnival ships) when onboard. Those times however I can choose the sushi I like and husband enjoys the soups and salads and noodles. To be honest we did not study menu other than what was offered for the Diamond dinner. 

Your description of the food was helpful, seems similar to the food on the other ships.  Did you like the overall restaurant atmosphere better than the ones on MV and SS ships?  Was it ever busy? 

1 hour ago, Até said:

Your description of the food was helpful, seems similar to the food on the other ships.  Did you like the overall restaurant atmosphere better than the ones on MV and SS ships?  Was it ever busy? 

Specialty restaurant this week seems very quiet. Atmosphere nice. Still prefer Mera and SS ships. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:05 AM, cellfree said:

Oriental Plaza Dining - the reason we ate there is because we are diamond level and receive a free specialty restaurant meal. We much prefer Butcher’s Cut on other MSC vessels.  It was just okay for us, not sure if we would even do it again should we sail on Magnifica again. The two appetizers were good. Entrees - I chose salmon which was good but only came with a few vegetable sprigs and husband had steak choice which also just came with a few veggies and although the steak was good it was a smaller portion than I would ever serve to anyone. At the same time as you get your entree you also get chef’s choice of sushi which was a very decent amount and a variety but we are not sushi people so whether the sushi was good or bad I cannot say. We have the beverage package but choices were limited so if you are drinking something specific that you prefer it is best to take it in with you.

All this to say everyone has their own preferences in food, for us this was a little underwhelming. Husband’s comment as I write this is “it was okay but we wouldn’t do it again.”

I think they changed the menu for this meal.  It used to be seaweed salad for appetizer, main platter with sushi/sashimi and small bowl of Asian noodle, banana wrap for dessert.  What appetizer do they have now?

3 hours ago, dns20 said:

I think they changed the menu for this meal.  It used to be seaweed salad for appetizer, main platter with sushi/sashimi and small bowl of Asian noodle, banana wrap for dessert.  What appetizer do they have now?

It definitely was not that. 
For Appetizers I had lettuce wrapped vegetable roles (sorry don’t know official name) and a vegetable tempura and husband had crunchy wrapped spring roles and shrimp/vegetable tempura.