Bordeaux and Paris post cruise out of Barcelona

11 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

EU Regulation 261/2004 (Regulation - 261/2004 - EN - Flight Compensation Regulation - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)) applies to all airlines that are leaving the EU to any destination not just EU airlines to EU destinations

(it only applies to EU airlines when arriving in the EU).

If you were delayed arriving by more than three hours then AA (American Airlines?) owe you €600 each - Air passenger rights - Your Europe (europa.eu)

Our flight from Venice was delayed 2.5 hours which cause us to miss our connecting flight in Chicago. The new flight they put us on in Chicago was delayed 6 hours. 

11 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

The drink drive limits in France is 0.05%, so lower than the USA which I believe is 0.08% and the penalty is generally a fine.

However... if you exceed 0.08% the penalty is the car being seized, a fine up to €4,500, and up to two years in prison.

Yeah, he won’t drink and drive there. 

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

You are right. AA had to compensate us when they canceled our flight from Lisbon. Nothing to fo with US regulations. They have to comply wit EU rules.

That flight was only delayed 2.5 hours. Our flight from Chicago was delayed 6 hours. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our flight from Venice was delayed 2.5 hours which cause us to miss our connecting flight in Chicago. The new flight they put us on in Chicago was delayed 6 hours.

If it was a through ticket to your destination via Chicago, and not two tickets (Venice to Chicago and then Chicago onwards) then it still applies and they owe you €600 each.

Edited by 9265359

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

If it was a through ticket to your destination via Chicago, and not two tickets (Venice to Chicago and then Chicago onwards) then it still applies and they owe you €600 each.

I believe it would have been considered a through ticket but I’m not sure. It looked like it on my app. It was booked by NCL air. 

48 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I believe it would have been considered a through ticket but I’m not sure. It looked like it on my app. It was booked by NCL air. 

It costs nothing to claim, and nothing to appeal!

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

AA had to pay us $2000 for the flight delays.  That includes 600€ each plus expenses. It took a while and many emails insisting they pay us according to EU Regulation 261/2004 instead of the 5,000 frequent flyer miles they offered. But they paid.

Ours was also a through ticket booked through the cruise line. 

Read this:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/eu-261/

• Like 2

Sounds like a win then.

24 minutes ago, marazul said:

It took a while and many emails insisting they pay us according to EU Regulation 261/2004 instead of the 5,000 frequent flyer miles they offered. But they paid.

That's the response from many non-EU airlines - deny, deny, deny, and hope that the complainer goes away.

There is an 'extraordinary circumstances' get out for the airlines, but the EU courts have ruled on a number of occasions that what counts as 'extraordinary circumstances' is quite limited - for example there was a recent case where the pilot was sick, and the judgement from the court was 'tough, you should have spare pilots available'.

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We have no intentions of keeping the car in Paris!  We like to be chauffeured around on vacation. I see the answer to my question above. Which would be easier?  Driving it to Paris to turn in or to Chartres, then train and taxi?  

Sorry, I gave you bad info.  There is no longer a car rental place at the Chartres station.  Probably the easiest would be to return it at the train station in Versailles and take a taxi in.  Or at one of the train stations in Paris.  Montparnasse, is probably the most direct route.

https://www.autoeurope.com/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, marazul said:

@NCteacherlovescruising

Here is the initial claim form for AA:

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/topics/CR/Complaint/DL_CNCL_FLT

Make sure you start everything by saying:
"This is a claim under EU Regulation 261/2004" 

I've been trying to do this for quite some time.  We don't have our tickets numbers so I can't get it to go through.  I've tried calling twice and have got disconnected both times.  

edited:  it finally went through without our ticket number. Now it’s a waiting game. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising
  • Like 1

Lets talk about driving into Paris vs dropping a car outside and using the train to get to a Paris location.  We have been faced, with exactly that issue, on a few trips.  As much as we dislike driving in Paris, we still found it preferable to drive to our destination (i.e. hotel, apartment, etc) drop our luggage, and immediately return the car to the nearest drop location.  Without luggage, we probably would have opted to drop the car outside the city and take a train/RER but, when we have luggage, we find dealing with trains, stations, taxis, etc. to be more of a pain than just driving into the city.  

When I do drive in Paris, even though we have GPS (our phones) and know the city, we still do some pre-trip homework *usually on Google Mapas" finding the best routes to our destination and later onto a rental drop location.  

Hank

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Lets talk about driving into Paris vs dropping a car outside and using the train to get to a Paris location.  We have been faced, with exactly that issue, on a few trips.  As much as we dislike driving in Paris, we still found it preferable to drive to our destination (i.e. hotel, apartment, etc) drop our luggage, and immediately return the car to the nearest drop location.  Without luggage, we probably would have opted to drop the car outside the city and take a train/RER but, when we have luggage, we find dealing with trains, stations, taxis, etc. to be more of a pain than just driving into the city.  

When I do drive in Paris, even though we have GPS (our phones) and know the city, we still do some pre-trip homework *usually on Google Mapas" finding the best routes to our destination and later onto a rental drop location.  

Hank

I know.  We drive in too, but thought they might find it easier to train in.  But you are right.  The only problem with going to the hotel first would be the location - too many narrow streets.  Up to them.  They can always return at the station in Paris and taxi to the hotel.

Edited by marazul

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

I know.  We drive in too, but thought they might find it easier to train in.  But you are right.  

It occurred to me that there are some interesting driving issues between the various generations.  Many of we "ole folks" know how to drive sticks because they were relatively common in the very "old days."  A few days ago I was out to lunch with a few fellow retirees, and one was telling us about helping their grandson plan a driving trip in Europe.  The problem was that this young person (in his late 20s) does not know how to parallel park!  It is not a requirement for a license in our State, and it is just something he does not do!  A far cry from when DW took her drivers license test in NYC, and had to do the test by driving on the streets and showing the examiner that she could park.  My lunch friend is now giving her grandson "lessons" on how to park since he will likely need that skill in Europe :).

Hank

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

This is a possibility. 

2 hours ago, marazul said:

I know.  We drive in too, but thought they might find it easier to train in.  But you are right.  The only problem with going to the hotel first would be the location - too many narrow streets.  Up to them.  They can always return at the station in Paris and taxi to the hotel.

All of the location I’ve selected would have narrow streets getting to them?  I don’t think dh would like that. They made us nervous just as passengers. Lol

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It occurred to me that there are some interesting driving issues between the various generations.  Many of we "ole folks" know how to drive sticks because they were relatively common in the very "old days."  A few days ago I was out to lunch with a few fellow retirees, and one was telling us about helping their grandson plan a driving trip in Europe.  The problem was that this young person (in his late 20s) does not know how to parallel park!  It is not a requirement for a license in our State, and it is just something he does not do!  A far cry from when DW took her drivers license test in NYC, and had to do the test by driving on the streets and showing the examiner that she could park.  My lunch friend is now giving her grandson "lessons" on how to park since he will likely need that skill in Europe :).

Hank

We both know how to drive a stick and parallel park. I’m 57 and dh is 60. 

Once we book our flights and accommodations, I will let y’all know and see what you think would be best to do with the vehicle. If we rent a vehicle, that’s not a certainty yet. The more I research Paris the more interesting it appears. I may want to take an early train there to get the most out of our first day, and skip the castles. Would it be a pain to take a train to Paris if we caught it in Bordeaux early in the morning?  We can book assigned seats, right?  With room for our luggage? We’re planning on just having a carry-on and personal bag each, but we shall see. I found on my trip this summer, I really just needed dresses and they don’t take much room. And I traveled in linen pants and my Brooks. Issue is, I came home with way more than I went with, as I’m sure most women do. 

Looking at the train schedules from Bordeaux to Paris, I see several options. Is this something we would need to book in advance or just buy tickets when we get there?  I also see it’s much cheaper to take a 3 hr train ride than a 2 hour one. I assume one is high speed and the other isn’t since they both show zero changes. It seems confusing. Is this a huge train station where we could have difficulty finding the correct train?

Posted (edited)

Looking at the train schedules from Bordeaux to Paris, I see several options. Is this something we would need to book in advance or just buy tickets when we get there?  I also see it’s much cheaper to take a 3 hr train ride than a 2 hour one. I assume one is high speed and the other isn’t since they both show zero changes. It seems confusing. Is this a huge train station where we could have difficulty finding the correct train?

It will be real easy to take the train to Paris. Do take the 2 hour TGV (high speed) train. The 3-hour can also have stops along the way. You can book seats and there is plenty of luggage storage. It is always useful to have a retractable lock chain to lock your luggage together if you sit a little far from it.  Just for your peace of mind. 

The station is not huge.  The train tracks are posted clearly. And there will be helpful people around. By the way, Hank has posted a lot on this forum about trains.

Make sure you book on the official website: 

https://www.sncf-connect.com/

For everything about train travel in France, look at this website.  It includes pictures of the stations and the interior of the trains. You will be an expert after you read it:

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-france.htm

And come back when you have more questions.

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The more I research Paris the more interesting it appears.

You are going to love it! And want to go back. Paris is a gorgeous city.  Rome is huge and imposing and there are wonderful monuments in different places.  Paris was designed to be beautiful.  In the 17thC, Louis XIV had entire parts of the old city razed to rebuild it and gave us the wonderful boulevards, squares and buildings that we see today. He also built the eyepopping palace of Versailles and its gardens. 

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, marazul said:

It will be real easy to take the train to Paris. Do take the 2 hour TGV (high speed) train. The 3-hour can also have stops along the way. You can book seats and there is plenty of luggage storage. It is always useful to have a retractable lock chain to lock your luggage together if you sit a little far from it.  Just for your peace of mind. 

Would our luggage be unsafe in 1st class?  

The station is not huge.  The train tracks are posted clearly. And there will be helpful people around. By the way, Hank has posted a lot on this forum about trains.

Make sure you book on the official website: 

https://www.sncf-connect.com/

For everything about train travel in France, look at this website.  It includes pictures of the stations and the interior of the trains. You will be an expert after you read it:

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-france.htm

Thank you very helpful!  I also watched a couple videos after reading this. It reminds me a bit of an airport with the screens and terminals. 

And come back when you have more questions.

We're thinking about booking a guided tour of the Louvre. Any recommendations?  And possibly at Versailles Palace. Do you think it would be worth it here or just enjoy it on our own?  The rest we plan to DIY. 

You are going to love it! And want to go back. Paris is a gorgeous city.  Rome is huge and imposing and there are wonderful monuments in different places.  Paris was designed to be beautiful.  In the 17thC, Louis XIV had entire parts of the old city razed to rebuild it and gave us the wonderful boulevards, squares and buildings that we see today. He also built the eyepopping palace of Versailles and its gardens. 

I’m very much looking forward to it. Nothing will top the one we just had, but this may be second best. 

20 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We both know how to drive a stick and parallel park.

I always remember a colleague, on meeting me on my first visit there, describing parking in Paris as "like putting a library book back on a shelf"!  His other piece of advice was - as long as the street was on the flat - to leave the handbrake on only very lightly so that your car would move relatively easily when the next car arrived and repeat that same squeeze-in manoeuvre. 

Would our luggage be unsafe in 1st class?  

You never know. If you are not near your luggage and someone grabs a piece during a station stop, it's gone. However, 1st class carriages usually have large overhead racks where you can get your carryon. Just get one of the retractable chain locks and be ready to secure them if you are too far from them.

We're thinking about booking a guided tour of the Louvre. Any recommendations?  And possibly at Versailles Palace. Do you think it would be worth it here or just enjoy it on our own?  The rest we plan to DIY. 

I have always wandered around by myself so I can't recommend a company.  You can spend a couple of days at the Louvre before you begin to scratch the surface.  A tour would take you to the highlights quickly - Nike, Mona Lisa, etc. which is not nearly enough. If you take a tour, make sure it is a tour that spends at least two hours there so you are not only flying by a few things.  It is not only the treasure trove of art that's important, but the buildings also.  This was the Royal palace of France. 

For Versailles, book the "Passport" admission ticket through their website and go there on your own. A tour company that takes you there, would also take you away at the end of the tour.  But you need the time to stay to walk the garden and visit some of the "smaller" palaces on the grounds such as the Trianon.  Give yourself this flexibility.  You can add an audioguide to the Passport or at add a guided tour of the Private Apartments of the kings.  You can also buy a Passport ticket that includes a "return" (round trip) ticket by "little train" to the Trianon, and I would advice you to do it.  It is a hike and you travel through the gardens comfortably. 

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices?visite-tid=1

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices?visite-tid=2

The tours meet at the North Ministers Wing which is the first building on the right inside the entrance to the grounds, just where a taxi would leave you.

I’m very much looking forward to it. Nothing will top the one we just had, but this may be second best. 

Enjoy the coverage of Paris and France during the Olympics.  NBC is bound to have a lot of tourist things and there will be venues all over France.  It's a good time for your research.

And wait until you get back to decide what's second best.  Maybe neither. 😉

3 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I always remember a colleague, on meeting me on my first visit there, describing parking in Paris as "like putting a library book back on a shelf"!  His other piece of advice was - as long as the street was on the flat - to leave the handbrake on only very lightly so that your car would move relatively easily when the next car arrived and repeat that same squeeze-in manoeuvre. 

I think we’d prefer another mode of transportation. 

3 hours ago, marazul said:

You never know. If you are not near your luggage and someone grabs a piece during a station stop, it's gone. However, 1st class carriages usually have large overhead racks where you can get your carryon. Just get one of the retractable chain locks and be ready to secure them if you are too far from them.

Can do. 

I have always wandered around by myself so I can't recommend a company.  You can spend a couple of days at the Louvre before you begin to scratch the surface.  A tour would take you to the highlights quickly - Nike, Mona Lisa, etc. which is not nearly enough. If you take a tour, make sure it is a tour that spends at least two hours there so you are not only flying by a few things.  It is not only the treasure trove of art that's important, but the buildings also.  This was the Royal palace of France. 

It would be great if we could find a private tour guide, like in Rome, that was reasonably priced. 

For Versailles, book the "Passport" admission ticket through their website and go there on your own. A tour company that takes you there, would also take you away at the end of the tour.  But you need the time to stay to walk the garden and visit some of the "smaller" palaces on the grounds such as the Trianon.  Give yourself this flexibility.  You can add an audioguide to the Passport or at add a guided tour of the Private Apartments of the kings.  You can also buy a Passport ticket that includes a "return" (round trip) ticket by "little train" to the Trianon, and I would advice you to do it.  It is a hike and you travel through the gardens comfortably. 

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices?visite-tid=1

https://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices?visite-tid=2

The tours meet at the North Ministers Wing which is the first building on the right inside the entrance to the grounds, just where a taxi would leave you.

Thanks!

Enjoy the coverage of Paris and France during the Olympics.  NBC is bound to have a lot of tourist things and there will be venues all over France.  It's a good time for your research.

And wait until you get back to decide what's second best.  Maybe neither. 😉

I don’t know that anything can live up to our last one, but I should never say never. However, I still feel like it was the trip of our lifetime! Good idea about the Olympic coverage. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marazul said:

They are messing with you.

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

That's the 'sucker' offer.

The law says 600 euro (around $650) each for a delay over three hours for a journey over 3,500km - Air passenger rights - Your Europe (europa.eu)

I responded. I will let you know if I hear back from them. 

24 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

They came back with another $50 credit, so a total of $100 each.  I responded again but have not heard anything more.

You must quote the regulation in your reply. Also, say that their refusal to comply will cause you to complain to the EU commission.