Room service on Viking river cruise?

Janie1229

Hi, I just upgraded to a veranda stateroom on the Amsterdam-Basel Christmas market cruise with Viking. The Viking rep told me we have 24hr room service available - I think with any stateroom? - what does the room service include, as I thought you could only get food during specific mealtimes at the restaurant? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Hi, I just upgraded to a veranda stateroom on the Amsterdam-Basel Christmas market cruise with Viking. The Viking rep told me we have 24hr room service available - I think with any stateroom? - what does the room service include, as I thought you could only get food during specific mealtimes at the restaurant? Thanks!

Unless this is a new service that none of us know about yet, there is NO room service on a Viking River Cruise.  NONE.

We have sailed a couple of times where someone was too sick to come to the dining room and they will prepare a tray - only at the meal time - but you have to carry it to the cabin, the crew will not.

You have been given wrong information.

Viking Ocean have 24 hour room service.  Not Rivers.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Viking rep was thinking of the Viking Mississippi which does offer room service. (We were on it last year for a Memphis to NOLA cruise.) 

Listen, I am hoping that this might be the case, but I fear it will not be.  There is not the staff to guest ratio to make this possible.  You see the same servers at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and they are not in short supply, but there are not enough of them to run room service too.  In between meals they need a rest time.  Also, the kitchen does not operate full-time all day.  They cook for each meal, which also means that if the sick passenger needs a meal in their cabin, it is produced when the rest of the meals are coming out of the kitchen.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

No room service on Viking River boats. 

You can order breakfast room service on the Explorer Suites as mentioned above

Edited by Mitina

On 7/31/2024 at 11:19 AM, Mitina said:

You can order breakfast room service on the Explorer Suites as mentioned above

That is all well and good for the 2 Explorer Suites on a Viking River Ship.

Effectively for 99% of us on the ship, there is no room service.

As I said, it really is fine with me with no room service. I was just surprised that the Viking rep mentioned it - I'm sure she was mistaken and was thinking of either ocean cruises or possibly the Mississippi cruise since someone here said they had it on their Mississippi cruise. 

I was just curious.