Viking Grand European Tour?

Cardinal30

We did ours in June to take advantage of the longer days, so more hours of sunlight. Water levels can vary at any time of the year but seem to be more susceptible to early spring and late summer/fall. But water levels are always a crap shoot. Enjoy your cruise. It was spectacular.   

15 hours ago, Cardinal30 said:

What time of year is the best to take the Viking Grand European Tour?

We are doing this cruise late November this year as we want to visit the Christmas Markets and we don't mind the cold snowy weather.

I think that you will find that folks go at different times of the year for many different reasons.

We often book our European River Cruises early spring or later in the fall as we don't like the heat and rather travel in the off or shoulder seasons.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 6:22 AM, CDNPolar said:

We often book our European River Cruises early spring or later in the fall as we don't like the heat and rather travel in the off or shoulder seasons.

I did this cruise late October/early November last year in large part because the various ports were much less crowded with other tourists than they would be in the summer.  We had a couple of rainy days, but that could happen any time of year, and it was chilly at times but never cold enough to freeze or snow.  I much prefer travel during shoulder or low season.  (I liked the cruise a lot!)

• Like 1

Painting with a broad brush, the better the weather, the bigger the crowds.  For me, my only thing to try to avoid is the very hot weather.  You can always put on a coat if it is a bit cold, but it is hard to escape intense heat.  My sister is taking this trip in November--she doesn't mind iffy weather, and the prices were better.  Have a great trip!

Posted (edited)

I’m doing Avalon’s “Magnificent Rivers of Europe” itinerary in the first half of October starting in Budapest and ending in Amsterdam. Very similar to Viking’s “Grand European Tour”. We chose the sailing date specifically to avoid the heat of summer and the cold/damp of late fall. Early Fall in Europe can be quite beautiful with clear temperate to cool days mixed with occasional rain. We are also hoping to get some fall color along the rivers. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

On 7/22/2024 at 7:51 PM, Cardinal30 said:

What time of year is the best to take the Viking Grand European Tour?

Best for what?

Heat/cold - I like the heat so prefer mid-summer when tables are set up on the prow and I can eat outside, but on our August Rhone cruise many found it too hot and ate in the air-conditioned (i.e. chilly)  restaurant.

Best for water levels?

Best for sightseeing?

Best for Christmas Markets?

Best for etc ?

• Like 1

We went around May 20th. Our ship made the whole trip with some modifications in drop off and pickup sites due to low water levels. The next ship couldn’t get through. 

I would go in Europe summer - I much prefer warm weather and even summer is not hot compared to what I am used to at home

We went in late September/Oct , (similar 14 day trip with Scenic)  was bit cheaper then compared to July/August, weather was still quite warm, short sleeves every day, we were lucky we had no issues with water levels and the only place that was crowded was Rudesheim, they had some festival on which ballooned the crowds