Ocean Cay Snorkeling

carmi0018

Sailing the Meraviglia on the 4th of next month .Does anyone know what the snorkeling situation is on Ocean Cay? Do i need to pay for an excursion off island ? Can i use my own equipment and swim to the reefs or coral formations off the shore? We  have our own gear. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

I saw plenty of people snorkelling on their own with their own equipment. I also went for it briefly, but didn't see much, so I didn't snorkel a lot. MSC does have a snorkel excusion to a sunk ship that you have to take a boat to. It looks super cool, but it's pricey. On my sailing it was $120 for the ~2 hour excursion. I went scuba diving in some ports on this trip, and I paid around $120 for full day, small group scuba excursions, so I just didn't see the value at the time. But it does look super cool and I'd love to hear from people who've done MSCs sunken ship snorkel excusion.

Thanks!! Yeah, I'm not spending that kind of money for snorkeling. It is a reserve so there must be some seaside there. Ill probably have to pay for a boat trip to snorkel in Nassau where I will get more bang for my buck than a shexcursionion.

Thanks so ,much for your response. I saw that excursion and even if i wasnt a budget traveler a 2hr snorkel excursion is a rip off by any standards! We will just save the snorkeling for a Mexico or Island cruise. Thanks again!

Posted (edited)

You can take your own snorkeling gear and snorkel on your own, husband did it once but did not see anything remarkable, still a fun thing to do on your own. 

On 7/23/2024 at 10:51 AM, carmi0018 said:

Sailing the Meraviglia on the 4th of next month .Does anyone know what the snorkeling situation is on Ocean Cay? Do i need to pay for an excursion off island ? Can i use my own equipment and swim to the reefs or coral formations off the shore? We  have our own gear. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by cellfree

The shipwreck itself is cool, but the water was pretty rough out there which meant you were spending a lot of the time making sure you weren't about to go in a no-zone or rub up against coral coated rusted metal.

I'd also say at least half of that time of the excursion was taken up in the preparation, boating out, and securing the boat and the reverse.

Lots of people, my spouse included, spent most of the time on the boat rather than in the water.

Well thanks very much for your reply. $120  pp is a bit too steep for me (we're 3 people) for a 2 hour excursion.  I guess I'll just wait for the next cruise to one of the caribbean islands.

Thanks!

Was just at Ocean Cay yesterday and I had my own snorkeling gear. The water was to murky to see more than 2 feet in front of you, plus the jellyfish and sea lice issue make me never want to step foot in that water again. Everyone in my family was very itchy while in the water and there were jellyfish all over the place. I wish I would have known about these issues before getting in the water there.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 10:22 AM, carmi0018 said:

Thanks Cellfree. I think we will go for the self snorkel option. Even a few fish is better than what we have at home. Thanks!

There’s a guy on YouTube called Snorktastic and he has a great video with good areas to snorkel at Ocean Cay. His channel focuses on shore snorkels in places with no excursion needed. 

We've been to Ocean Cay several times and enjoyed snorkeling on our own, but our last visit at the end of July wasn't very successful. The water was too murky, possibly due to the renovations MSC is doing around the island. The water was clear at the end of the island, at Bimini Beach, but it's usually windy and wavy there. We were still able to see a stingray and some fish.

On 8/3/2024 at 7:10 PM, Abaddon said:

Was just at Ocean Cay yesterday and I had my own snorkeling gear. The water was to murky to see more than 2 feet in front of you, plus the jellyfish and sea lice issue make me never want to step foot in that water again. Everyone in my family was very itchy while in the water and there were jellyfish all over the place. I wish I would have known about these issues before getting in the water there.

what beach did you snorkel at Ocean Cay?

As with anywhere snorkeling is always a no guarantee situation.  I have my own equipment and have been to Ocean Cay in two cruises.  

On my first visit the first day we were at Ocean Cay was great for snorkeling. 

However day two was terrible the sea was like milk couldn't see anything.

Next trip was just the opposite.  Day one we couldn't see anything but day two while not great we were able to see some good sea life.

We had our best experience at the lighthouse Beach area right off the ship.  We have seen a sea turtle, sting ray, small barracuda and several nice fish inside the netting.  We found that the best places to view fish is the left hand side of the bay as you are facing the water.  There is a rock wall starting about 2/3 of the way out and lots of smaller fish will hang out there.  We also found that there was good viewing if you swim along the netting.  Several fish appeared to hang out along the netting line.  Also we saw a shark that was easily 8 feet long who was hanging out just outside of the netting.  Made me feel good that that net was there.  We also saw some pretty good barracuda outside of the net as well.

Since Ocean Cay is still in the early stages of restoration don't expect to see any developed coral formations anywhere.

Overall Ocean Cay isnt my favorite snorkeling location but since I have my own gear it's worth a look whenever we are there.

• Like 2

Thank you all! Unfortunately I didn't get your info in time.vwe went to Bimini and saw a few smaller fish by the jetty between the beach and the kayak rental area(west end of Bimini).

Next time!!!