First cruise with my 9 year old

Tina80

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

That's what I get for being lazy and not going back to see what has already been discussed, to put the question in context.

Not at all.  At that time the OP Tina80 was entirely focused on Positano and nowhere else, but as she now appears to be wavering a little,  your mention of Vesuvius and Herculaneum may  reminder her that it wasn't the first time that same suggestion was made.😀

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I read and read so many posts, watched so many youtube videos, it's just not worth my time or my kid to sit in the van for nine hours and not be able to enjoy the trip while risking getting car sick too. So I went back and looked at your suggestions for a ferry ride to Positano, or maybe to Amalfi coast. Going there as @euro cruiser had mentioned could be done via ferry but coming back has to be done via the train. It's a really hard decision to make, maybe I pick a closer destination with great scenery, no ruins or volcano. Something like Capri, Sorrento maybe? Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

OK, I read and read so many posts, watched so many youtube videos, it's just not worth my time or my kid to sit in the van for nine hours and not be able to enjoy the trip while risking getting car sick too. So I went back and looked at your suggestions for a ferry ride to Positano, or maybe to Amalfi coast. Going there as @euro cruiser had mentioned could be done via ferry but coming back has to be done via the train. It's a really hard decision to make, maybe I pick a closer destination with great scenery, no ruins or volcano. Something like Capri, Sorrento maybe? Any suggestions? 

Capri would be a great choice.

Posted (edited)

The high speed ferries to Capri depart from Molo Beverello, which is adjacent to the cruise port located at Molo Angioino.

You can see the ferry schedules here:   From Naples to Capri - Ferry Schedules & Prices 2024

Look for ones that depart from Beverello.  There is no need to buy tickets in advance but, if you decide to do so, don't buy from the site above.  They charge high fees, buy directly from the ferry companies.

The trip there and back is simple.  Once on Capri you have some transportation challenges to deal with, but it's all quite doable.

For example, one of the places on Capri many folks like to check out is the seggiovia, the chair lift up to the highest point on the island, Monte Solaro.  If you'd like to do this, I would head up there first.  You can get a local bus from the port to Anacapri, or you can take an open-air taxi.  I would opt for the later and share with others in the line to get up there faster.  The bus is fine, it will just take a bit longer.

Seggiovia:  The Chair Lift Monte Solaro (capriseggiovia.it)

Capri transportation info:  Getting Around Capri | Funicular, Bus and Taxis Info

Edited by euro cruiser

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

The high speed ferries to Capri depart from Molo Beverello, which is adjacent to the cruise port located at Molo Angioino.

You can see the ferry schedules here:   From Naples to Capri - Ferry Schedules & Prices 2024

Look for ones that depart from Beverello.  There is no need to buy tickets in advance but, if you decide to do so, don't buy from the site above.  They charge high fees, buy directly from the ferry companies.

The trip there and back is simple.  Once on Capri you have some transportation challenges to deal with, but it's all quite doable.

For example, one of the places on Capri many folks like to check out is the seggiovia, the chair lift up to the highest point on the island, Monte Solaro.  If you'd like to do this, I would head up there first.  You can get a local bus from the port to Anacapri, or you can take an open-air taxi.  I would opt for the later and share with others in the line to get up there faster.  The bus is fine, it will just take a bit longer.

Seggiovia:  The Chair Lift Monte Solaro (capriseggiovia.it)

Capri transportation info:  Getting Around Capri | Funicular, Bus and Taxis Info

Thanks much, looking at the schedules looks like if I really want to visit Positano (which I care mostly about seeing the beautiful scenery not shopping as much), I can take these same ferties there and back. From the port of Beverello. That gives me like 1.5 hrs in Positano but I get to see thr view. What do you think? 

IMG_2613.jpeg

Tina, I feel like we're playing ping-pong here, bouncing back and forth from location to location.

It looks like you're checking a consolidator's site for ferry info.  If you are going to purchase tickets in advance you have more safety if you buy directly from the ferry operator, not to mention avoiding the consolidator's fees.  If there's an issue the ferry people won't even talk to you with a consolidator's ticket, they'll just tell you to contact them.

Your data is correct, NLG does have a crossing to Positano at 8:35 (32 euro):  NLG » Official website

Positano Jet has the return at 12:30 (20 euro):  Positano Jet Ferries - Lucibello

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Tina, I feel like we're playing ping-pong here, bouncing back and forth from location to location.

It looks like you're checking a consolidator's site for ferry info.  If you are going to purchase tickets in advance you have more safety if you buy directly from the ferry operator, not to mention avoiding the consolidator's fees.  If there's an issue the ferry people won't even talk to you with a consolidator's ticket, they'll just tell you to contact them.

Your data is correct, NLG does have a crossing to Positano at 8:35 (32 euro):  NLG » Official website

Positano Jet has the return at 12:30 (20 euro):  Positano Jet Ferries - Lucibello

No, I wasn't planning to purchase from them, was just posting their schedule 🙂 Regarding the ping ponging, I have not decided which location to visit yet so bouncing ideas. After all, we would like to make the best decision and have so much fun!

Edited by Tina80

I will get 1.5 hrs in Positano, hopefully that will be enough for trying some lemon pastry and a walk around as well as being able to visit Amalfi coast. Still exploring other options and researching the close by areas.

Posted (edited)

@euro cruiserI will get 1.5 hrs in Positano, hopefully that will be enough for trying some lemon pastry and a walk around as well as being able to visit Amalfi coast. Still exploring other options and researching the close by areas.

if I followed everything you mentioned correctly, these would be the two trips I should select, correct? 

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

Edited by Tina80

If you decide on this AC trip, be sure you have a detailed backup plan for Capri that you can immediately turn to in case the weather is rough. Its a long time to be on the water with a kid (or you) who' may get seasick 

My last cruise started Sept 28 and the weather was horrible....very windy and rainy, for 5 of the 7 days. We even missed Kotor due to the weather. So have a backup plan.

14 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

If you decide on this AC trip, be sure you have a detailed backup plan for Capri that you can immediately turn to in case the weather is rough. Its a long time to be on the water with a kid (or you) who' may get seasick 

My last cruise started Sept 28 and the weather was horrible....very windy and rainy, for 5 of the 7 days. We even missed Kotor due to the weather. So have a backup plan.

Thank you for your reply, very well said. Last night I was trying to explore the RC app and noticed an activity that was sold out the entire time has now two spots! It takes us to Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii! So I booked it immediately. That way, I don't have to worry about missing the ship at least 🙂