Train from Southampton to London Waterloo with Luggage

I am doing a Sun Princess cruise that ends in Southampton in Sept. I am planning to take the train to London Waterloo. My husband and I will each have a full sized suitcase. Can luggage be brought on the train and stored somewhere?
Second question is how long does it generally take to get a taxi from the port to the train station on disembarkation day? Is Uber an option as well at the Port?

2 hours ago, Ocean Mouse said:

Train should have luggage racks at one end of each carriage for large suitcases 

That's not obvious from this walk-through video.

But the usual advice is just to keep your luggage with you (you have to carry it onto the train yourself anyway) and improvise with whatever space there is around you. You may end up taking up more than two seats, but everyone understands that that's sometimes necessary.

To make things a bit easier, take the train a bit later in the morning, and sit further back where it's likely to be less busy (particularly as the train gets closer to London).

Took the train, three of us.  One large suitcase fit into the overhead.  Other two took up one seat.  No issues.

Southwestern Trains do not have luggage racks at the end of the carriage. They are primarily designed for fitting a lot of commuters in. However, the overhead racks take quite large suitcases. If you avoid the rush hour, you should have space for your luggage. But if you take up a seat with your luggage when someone has to stand, you will not be popular. But outside peak times this will not be a problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Globaliser said:

You may end up taking up more than two seats, but everyone understands that that's sometimes necessary.

They don't.

I commuted into London for many many years, and if someone tried to use seats for luggage when people were standing then they would be be very firmly told that was not acceptable.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:16 PM, Ocean Mouse said:

Train should have luggage racks at one end of each carriage for large suitcases 

Not on the class 444 units used on Waterloo - Southampton (as per the video Globaliser posted). They are ideal for long distance commuting, but SWR use them heavily on holiday routes, and lack of luggage space is a well known issue.

12 hours ago, 9265359 said:

I commuted into London for many many years, and if someone tried to use seats for luggage when people were standing then they would be be very firmly told that was not acceptable.

Anyone who commutes on these services will be well used to this issue!  

7 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Anyone who commutes on these services will be well used to this issue!  

And will be well practiced in telling the tourists to shift the bags so they can sit down!

10 hours ago, 9265359 said:

And will be well practiced in telling the tourists to shift the bags so they can sit down!

If you are lucky, the guard makes an announcement if it is necessary.

45 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

If you are lucky, the guard makes an announcement if it is necessary.

A guard! The trains I used to use had no such thing, just a driver up front, hence the passengers needing to be assertive themselves.

14 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

A guard! The trains I used to use had no such thing, just a driver up front, hence the passengers needing to be assertive themselves.

The last time I went up to Waterloo which was a few Saturdays ago, when it was really full of smartly dressed people going to Ascot, as well as lots of others, the guard, actually I’m not sure they are called that, made a couple of announcements about making sure seats were free. Trains from Weymouth always have such a person on board, and the more assiduous ones are busy checking tickets.