Debarkation excursions in Barcelona?

Posted (edited)

We will be on the Europa round trip from Barcelona (Marseille, Genoa, Naples, Messina, La Valletta, sea day, Barcelona) in June 2025. Just wondering if MSC will offer an excursion on our debarkation day where they will take us to a tourist attraction (perhaps a Gaudi house or something), hold our luggage and then drop us and our luggage off at the airport?  Or if we should just try to book an early-ish flight. We will be flying to Bordeaux post cruise. 

Also, how late will they let us hang out in the YC lounge that day?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

You'll be able to stay in YC pretty late, depending on when the ship is set to depart from port. We've stayed past lunch, until close to our hotel check in time of 3ish. You still get food and drink, just like any other YC guest. You do need to vacate your room in the morning though. The concierge desk held our carry on luggage until a butler walked us off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

You'll be able to stay in YC pretty late, depending on when the ship is set to depart from port. We've stayed past lunch, until close to our hotel check in time of 3ish. You still get food and drink, just like any other YC guest. You do need to vacate your room in the morning though. The concierge desk held our carry on luggage until a butler walked us off.

Great, thanks!  I was aware of vacating the room. This will be our second sailing with them. Just didn’t know how long they would let us just hang out on the ship, specifically the YC lounge.  It’s good to know we will have a comfortable place to hang out until it’s time to head to the airport. 

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Just didn’t know how long they would let us just hang out on the ship, specifically the YC lounge.

You can hang out at the pool as well. Or the YC restaurant. Or any other place you want. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Although I wouldn’t want to get hot and sweaty at the pool before getting on a plane.

We had lunch there the last day. It was a nice peaceful few hours and we could linger over the food longer than in the YC restaurant. We were on Fantasia, which has a nice amount of shade by the bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Just wondering if MSC will offer an excursion on our debarkation day where they will take us to a tourist attraction (perhaps a Gaudi house or something), hold our luggage and then drop us and our luggage off at the airport?

Yes, MSC will definitely offer a lot of these excursions. And yes, unlike celebrity and others, you can stay on board quite long. Only thing is that your luggage will stand"alone" outside for hours, which in some ports is not a save thing. 

On europa in june 2023 in Genoa, I asked if we could stay on in YC till checkin time at hotel in town. I was told we could stay onboard till 11am but had to be off ship by then. Concierge told me they were doing me a favor by letting me stay onboard so long.

Now the week before on Davina we were able to stay onboard till it was close to our train departure time in Civitecchia. As with all things YMMV.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Yes, MSC will definitely offer a lot of these excursions. And yes, unlike celebrity and others, you can stay on board quite long. Only thing is that your luggage will stand"alone" outside for hours, which in some ports is not a save thing. 

I wouldn’t want to do that. 

4 hours ago, frank808 said:

On europa in june 2023 in Genoa, I asked if we could stay on in YC till checkin time at hotel in town. I was told we could stay onboard till 11am but had to be off ship by then. Concierge told me they were doing me a favor by letting me stay onboard so long.

Now the week before on Davina we were able to stay onboard till it was close to our train departure time in Civitecchia. As with all things YMMV.

interesting. It’s not the first I’m hearing of inconsistencies with MSC. Flights should open in a week or so at which time I will know the timing. Hopefully we can catch a morning flight to Bordeaux and won’t need to worry about it. 

MSC usually offers excursion packages for debarkation days, but it’s best to confirm directly with them as they can vary. Booking an early flight is a good backup plan. As for the YC lounge, they typically let you hang out until about 30 minutes before your disembarkation time

• Thanks 1

Hello

I disembarked with MSC in Barcelona recently (and I was not in YC)

I was able to leave my hand luggage in a specific place while I had breakfast. I think that if I had not left luggage for them to take there would have been no problem disembarking with the things except that I would have to move the suitcases myself.

Since I had to catch a train at 12:00, we waited for something on the boat. When we disembarked there were almost no suitcases left but we had no problem removing ours and no one had touched them.

Visiting the Sagrada Familia in one day taking into account that you have to take a later flight may not be the best idea

I invite you to take a walk through the Gothic Quarter. You can take a taxi from the terminal to the beginning of the neighborhood. MSC is going to offer you a bus to take you there but for two people... a taxi is cheaper and more comfortable.
It is very close. It is the old area of Barcelona next to the port.

In these posts I commented on a long tour of the Gothic quarter of Barcelona. Maybe it's too much for you to do if you have to take a flight later. Take a look and plan a walk through that area.

When you finish, you return to the boat, collect your things and make the final disembarkation.
From there, a taxi to the airport in 15-20 minutes