Airline Melt Down Past Week

Hello all - what would a "decent" policy have paid either going or coming from a vacation. Would hotels either at the departure or stop over points be covered while working out alternative transportation to destination?

That is if the delay time exceeded the policy would cover. What about car rental to the destination?

TIA 

Posted (edited)

Good question.  Problem was not weather or mechanical failure.  I wondered the same thing. Is it even covered?

Edited by Walfam

The policies that I have read would cover a delay i.e. hotels, meats and transport.  They would not cover a cancellation of the trip - i.e. the cost of the cruise....

Would be nice to hear actual experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I can speak from experience that the cruise travel insurance I booked through Princess for the week of July 20th was TERRIBLE.  It was through AON and when we weren't able to make our cruise due to the Crowdstrike/Delta meltdown, they quickly denied my claim and told me it wasn't covered.  They were virtually impossible to get a hold of, took a ridiculously long time to get back to any of my questions, and suggested I book another cruise to Alaska in December (the AON agent, not Princess Cruises).

However, for my plane tickets, I had an Allianz Travel policy and they were great to work with.  They were easy to get a hold of and actually ended up giving me the maximum benefit for my missed cruise and all other expenses.  And of the two travel insurance policies I had, they were by far the cheaper option.

Bottom line - read ALL the fine print in the policies and you are probably better off booking a separate insurance than going through the cruise line.

• Thanks 1