Yokohama port to Tokyo Disney

jabrown40

1 hour ago, jabrown40 said:

Planning a three night stay at Disney following our cruise.  What is the best way to get there, especially with all of our luggage?  Thanks!

When luggage is an issue, I would think about spending the big bucks (probably close to $150) on a taxi.  Plenty of taxis at the port and they do generally take major credit cards (but always ask before getting in the taxi).

When I looked online, I noticed the mention of a direct bus from Yokohama Station to Tokyo Disney.  I have no first-hand info on that bus (which apparently runs every 15 min) but it might be worth checking out as to whether it has space for luggage.  With luggage, you would probably want to take a taxi from the port directly to Yokohama Station, unless you are comfortable lugging your bags a few blocks and onto the metro (that would take you to Yokohama Station).

There are also options using the rail system.  But unless somebody knows something I don't (which is very possible) I think this would mean changing at Tokyo Station, which is not fun if one needs to drag lots of luggage.

Hank

• Like 1

Keisei Bus operates a bus from Yokohama Station East Exit to Tokyo Disneyland every 15 minutes from 6:45am - 10:45am. Tickets cost: 1,500 yen and the journey takes 60min. Bus allows 1 luggage per person to put on the carrier underneath. Alternatively, take a train from Yokohama Station to Tokyo Disney Land via Tōkyō Station and Maihama Station around 90 min.

https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/highway/y-disney/
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tds/access/railway_bus.html

• Like 3

If trying to keep costs down, after 10:45am, it is possible to take a bus from Yokohama Station to Haneda Airport and then another bus to Tokyo Disney Resort (which would drop off directly at resort hotels). 

1 hour ago, john bowtie said:

If trying to keep costs down, after 10:45am, it is possible to take a bus from Yokohama Station to Haneda Airport and then another bus to Tokyo Disney Resort (which would drop off directly at resort hotels). 

After 10:45am, you take Haneda airport bus from YCAT (Yokohama City Air Terminal) in Sky Bldg (not Yokohama Station), get off at Haneda T2 for the bus to Tokyo Disney

https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-disney/

6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

After 10:45am, you take Haneda airport bus from YCAT (Yokohama City Air Terminal) in Sky Bldg (not Yokohama Station), get off at Haneda T2 for the bus to Tokyo Disney

https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-disney/

Thank you for the clarification. I am learning that one has to be very, very specific to avoid wandering aimlessly around these huge transportation hubs. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, john bowtie said:

Thank you for the clarification. I am learning that one has to be very, very specific to avoid wandering aimlessly around these huge transportation hubs. 

If you do your homework, you shouldn't have problem navigating in any major hub. The complex ones are Tokyo Shinjuku Station, Osaka-Umeda Station. Most foreigners thinking Google Map online will do the station navigation, unfortunately cell phone reception inside a station is weak and google map does not display 3D station mapping on multiple levels.

Taxi fare from Osanbashi cruise terminal to YCAT is about ¥2,200. The terminal taxi stand dispatcher knows English will translate to the driver.

Below is YCAT floor map: taxi will drop off at southside taxi stand, luggage carts are available nearby. To access the building, go to the right follow the orange cart way line, up the ramp and through a secret automatic sliding door to YCAT terminal. Tickets to Haneda airport must purchase through a vending machine (select English instructions). Go to Y3 to board the bus, tell the curbside porter that you travel to Terminal 2 and he will load your luggage to the correct underneath storage. Bus will drop off on T2 departure level (2F), take the elevator down to arrival floor (1F) to purchase bus ticket to Tokyo Disney (board at bus stop #6 in T2).
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/floor/terminal2/index.html
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/access/bus/index.html

image.thumb.png.a5b2af8b73a56cc6c7fdb17b72fc3629.png

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:57 AM, jabrown40 said:

Actually hoping to disembark quickly and head to Disneyland, but thank you.

You'll also want to figure out timing for your arrival at TDR, and if rushing makes sense. Speaking from experience, if you can be in-line at the parks around 7:30ish, you'll be in the park quickly enough to do all of your bookings/priority access. Admission lines seem to be the worst from 8-9:30 am. 

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately we're looking at the same 18 months.  We're hoping to get a hotel reservation only for one night, then do a Fantasy springs hotel package the next two nights.

Edited by jabrown40
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 7:26 AM, jabrown40 said:

Unfortunately we're looking at the same 18 months.  We're hoping to get a hotel reservation only for one night, then do a Fantasy springs hotel package the next two nights.

We just got back from a Tokyo trip a few weeks ago, including a vacation package for fantasy springs, staying at MiraCosta. We had a third night booked at the Fantasy Springs hotel but ended up switching to the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, since the FSH is so bare-bones right now.

The new hotel is oddly devoid of lounges, shops, restaurants or public spaces... which I have to assume were budget cuts during the pandemic? Hopefully they get fleshed out more in the next year or two, but I'm assuming with the hotel running at full capacity there won't really be an incentive to. 

That said, I can't recommend MiraCosta enough. Absolutely one of the best hotel experiences we've ever had.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad I read your post.  I was as considering FS hotel, but after really getting a handle on the packages, realized I'd like to stay at Disneyland hotel for two nights, then Miracosta.  Do you have advice on what type of room to try for?  We're just two adults, but need two beds.  (Traveling with my son).  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 10:13 AM, jabrown40 said:

I'm glad I read your post.  I was as considering FS hotel, but after really getting a handle on the packages, realized I'd like to stay at Disneyland hotel for two nights, then Miracosta.  Do you have advice on what type of room to try for?  We're just two adults, but need two beds.  (Traveling with my son).  Thanks!

The good news is that in Japan, king beds are rare. You’re much more likely to find multi-bed rooms at Tokyo Disney hotels than any other type. That won’t be an issue.

Re: room types, I’d recommend looking through each hotel’s website. They list every single type of room, with diagrams, in detail, so you can get a handle on what you're booking. They also have diagrams of the hotel layout and what each view/section of the hotel faces.

For miracosta, we splurged and booked a Venice side terrace room, which got us into the suite lounge. Nice but not necessary, but a great view of the canals and NY section of the park. I’d say the quintessential MiraCosta room would be a Porto paradiso view, but you’re absolutely paying a premium to look into the park. At the Disneyland hotel, we had a corner room looking out towards the Resort Line monorail with the park beyond it. 

TBH, especially as a first-timer to TDR, you probably won’t spend that much time in your room. I’d go with the least expensive room that fits your needs and gives you the perks you want, unless you absolutely want to look out your window at 6 am and see the volcano. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll look into it.  I'm not that worried about the view or using the lounges, it's not where I plan to spend much time at all!  Any restaurant recommendations?  In the vlogs we've watched, the food hasn't looked great.

19 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

Any restaurant recommendations?  In the vlogs we've watched, the food hasn't looked great.

With food, you'll need to have a bit of a brain reset coming from the US, and go in with an open mind. 

In general in Japan, you can't customize food: asking for them to make something without X ingredient, or to cook something differently isn't a thing. Also be prepared for set menus instead of a-la-carte ordering. Portions will be smaller than you're used to, but if the dollar is strong against the yen it can be very inexpensive (since Japan doesn't really do inflation as a cultural thing). Buffets are always a great option in Asia: they tend to be expansive and high-quality. 

At Tokyo Disney especially, they really focus on rotating new food/snacks/beverages/merch through the parks seasonally. Snacks are a big thing here... think steamed buns, sausage on a bone, etc. If you do a vacation package, you'll get a beverage ticket that includes unlimited sodas, and specialty/limited time drinks. Make sure you try all of these, since they're included. That said, a majority of what you'll see on vlogs and blogs will be out of date weeks later, so it pays to check the TDR website a month out to figure out what's going on before your trip. 

As for specific restaurants, Magellan's in DisneySea is an incredible venue. We also love the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge on the SS Columbia. In Fantasy Springs, we enjoyed the counter service Royal Banquet Hall in the Frozen section... but again this is a set menu with either a beef pot pie or a seafood pot pie as the entre option. In DL, Hungry Bear has amazing Japanese curry, and Grandma Sara's is inside of Splash Mountain. Especially now that the TDR website has English language menus, you can easily sort through options and figure out what the vibe of each restaurant is, even if the specific items might change. 

My best advice is to remember that you're in a foreign country, in a park not owned or run by Disney, and the food is targeted at the Japanese market. It's a great opportunity to try new things!

Posted (edited)

Fortunately, I do like quite a few Japanese dishes, sushi, ramen, etc.  I think breakfast might be the hardest.  I know the buffets have some of the  usual WDW breakfast buffet items, so that's a possibility.  I'll definitely try anything.  Magellans and the Teddy Roosevelt were definitely on our list.

Edited by jabrown40
  • Like 1