QA upgrade Bid question

jrmende63

I put in a bid to move up to Princess Grill. Today I was looking at something else in my reservation and noticed that my original cabin number was gone and replaced with the following :  your cabin will be allocated closer to sailing. Does this mean I was successful in bidding? IMG_2332.thumb.jpeg.3acfab52c65318e6f4be93becdaa793f.jpeg

13 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

Well never mind, it is back to the original cabin. Must have been a Cunard glitch. 

Yes, what I think is happening here is that when you open the page the initial loading will default to the "allocated closer to departure" even if you have a confirmed stateroom/suite number from the start and clicked "do not upgrade" on the final booking screen. The screen then refreshes with the correct and personalised data for you, and that refresh can be quick or can take a few seconds. I am on satellite broadband (and not as good as Starlink) with significant latency so I usually see that default and maybe 10 seconds before it updates to whatever I've booked. It may time out without refreshing but usually it does refresh in due course. So in short, it's normal.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Yes, what I think is happening here is that when you open the page the initial loading will default to the "allocated closer to departure" even if you have a confirmed stateroom/suite number from the start and clicked "do not upgrade" on the final booking screen. The screen then refreshes with the correct and personalised data for you, and that refresh can be quick or can take a few seconds. I am on satellite broadband (and not as good as Starlink) with significant latency so I usually see that default and maybe 10 seconds before it updates to whatever I've booked. It may time out without refreshing but usually it does refresh in due course. So in short, it's normal.

No. That’s not it, because it has always shown our cabin number. And this is a bid to upgrade. 

Edited by jrmende63
Phone likes to spell words differently.

4 hours ago, transatlantic fan said:

May I ask what grade of stateroom did you book before bidding on the upgrade?

Thanks

Balcony. Which I am totally fine with if not successful. 

37 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

Balcony. Which I am totally fine with if not successful. 

Good attitude! Never book a category below what you'd like, hoping for an upgrade. 

I think it's a glitch in their IT. (I know, what a shock!)  If your upgrade bid is successful, they will send you an email saying so. 

Here's what I was sent, with personal details edited out:

Your offer has been accepted
Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for your offer to upgrade your stateroom for your upcoming voyage. We are pleased to confirm that you have been successful.

Departure date
24 May 2024

Offer
$xxxx USD per guest

Ship
Queen Anne

Number of passengers

Booking reference
XXXXXX

Amount due
$xxxx USD

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2024 at 8:15 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Good attitude! Never book a category below what you'd like, hoping for an upgrade. 

I think it's a glitch in their IT. (I know, what a shock!)  If your upgrade bid is successful, they will send you an email saying so. 

Here's what I was sent, with personal details edited out:

Your offer has been accepted
Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for your offer to upgrade your stateroom for your upcoming voyage. We are pleased to confirm that you have been successful.

Departure date
24 May 2024

Offer
$xxxx USD per guest

Ship
Queen Anne

Number of passengers

Booking reference
XXXXXX

Amount due
$xxxx USD

Just curious how soon before your sailing did you get your email? 

1 hour ago, jrmende63 said:

It was five weeks, but the cruise had a lot of availability. The time I didn't get it, I was notified about 10 days prior, but I didn't really expect to get it as that cruise was well booked.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

The way it works with Plusgrade (and there's more details in this thread and this one) is that you will typically hear within a few days if your bid was over that day's marker price for upgrades. There is then a clearing process which goes on until about 4 or 5 days to departure. So this is where your bid is either below the marker or there simply isn't a stateroom/suite to give you. If that is sustained, then at 4 - 5 days to departure (approx) you will then get an emails saying that your bid was unsuccessful. If however there is spare inventory and your bid is sufficient, then the marker price comes down and you get a late upgrade. From what I can make out - and this is fairly similar to the system for Lufthansa and TAP Air Portugal - most successful bids clear early rather than late.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pushpit said:

The way it works with Plusgrade (and there's more details in this thread and this one) is that you will typically hear within a few days if your bid was over that day's marker price for upgrades. There is then a clearing process which goes on until about 4 or 5 days to departure. So this is where your bid is either below the marker or there simply isn't a stateroom/suite to give you. If that is sustained, then at 4 - 5 days to departure (approx) you will then get an emails saying that your bid was unsuccessful. If however there is spare inventory and your bid is sufficient, then the marker price comes down and you get a late upgrade. From what I can make out - and this is fairly similar to the system for Lufthansa and TAP Air Portugal - most successful bids clear early rather than late.

The only communication I received was confirmation that they received my bid, and then the email telling me if I was successful. I was never told where my bid was with respect to any marker or to other bidders. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The only communication I received was confirmation that they received my bid, and then the email telling me if I was successful. I was never told where my bid was with respect to any marker or to other bidders. 

Yes, that's normal. You don't get any communication about markers and other bidders, just "bid received" and then "bid successful" or unsuccessful. I've dealt with Plusgrade for many years so I know their systems fairly well now. With some airlines such as TAP, Plusgrade does give some hints, via colour coding, as to where the marker is, just to nudge some more cash out of people, but the Cunard version is more stripped back than that, just a speedo dial on the right of the screen.

Edited by Pushpit

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Yes, that's normal. You don't get any communication about markers and other bidders, just "bid received" and then "bid successful" or unsuccessful. I've dealt with Plusgrade for many years so I know their systems fairly well now. With some airlines such as TAP, Plusgrade does give some hints, via colour coding, as to where the marker is, just to nudge some more cash out of people, but the Cunard version is more stripped back than that, just a speedo dial on the right of the screen.

When I got the upgrade email the markers were set at what had been bid already. I bid at the top. But as I said, I am perfectly happy with our cabin that we currently hold. 

31 minutes ago, jrmende63 said:

When I got the upgrade email the markers were set at what had been bid already. I bid at the top. But as I said, I am perfectly happy with our cabin that we currently hold. 

Did it say that they were showing you what had been bid? I simply saw a range of prices. What I believe is the lowest they would accept (as it didn't change over the time before I chose to bid) to the highest bid, which IIRC, was close to the price on the website to just purchase the fare.

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Did it say that they were showing you what had been bid? I simply saw a range of prices. What I believe is the lowest they would accept (as it didn't change over the time before I chose to bid) to the highest bid, which IIRC, was close to the price on the website to just purchase the fare.

If I moved the markers lower all returned to the middle or further toward highest. I thought it meant that the bidding was at least that much. 

That's just schematic in my view. On TAP the markers change colour from red to orange to green, as you increase the bid, and experience tended to show that green would get near instant acceptance, as did most orange. 

• Thanks 1