Cunard upgrades -- will you always be notified?

I can't recall whether or not I opted out of upgrades. Does Cunard ever upgrade you without prior notice, so you can choose whether or not to accept? We booked a specific room and would not like to move. But for the life of me I can't remember if I opted out when I booked and don't see an option anywhere to refuse automatic upgrades.

If your booking does not specify "Do Not Upgrade", then Cunard may give you a complimentary upgrade without notifying you and without offering you the chance to decline the upgrade. Since they have started a bidding process (called "Cunard Upgrade") where guests can bid for a paid upgrade, I suspect the number of complimentary upgrades has decreased. But the complimentary upgrade process does still exist. Quoting from the FAQ:

"(Q) What is the difference between the Cunard Upgrade program and the complimentary upgrade I opted into at the time of booking?

(A) The Cunard Upgrade program gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a higher-grade stateroom at a price you are willing to pay. Once all upgrade offers have been considered and assigned, complimentary upgrades will be reviewed and guests who have booked a Cunard Fare will be given first priority for these."

If you want to make sure you won't receive a complimentary upgrade (which you can't decline), call Cunard Customer Service (or contact your travel agent if you used one) and have them make sure your booking is marked "Do Not Upgrade". There is no online way to verify your current setting or make that change yourself using "My Cunard".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At least on the UK screens, if this is a direct booking, there is a one time only screen, right at end of the booking and payment process, where you set your dining and table preferences (which you can alter later) and a tick box for upgrades/decline upgrades - that one vanishes as soon as you move away from the screen. I think I was told that for the UK market this only shows / has an impact on Cunard Fare, since for Saver and Early Saver fares you don't have a fixed cabin to begin with. So Saver passengers effectively have an upgrade flag permanently enabled. The text suggests that Saver fares are not prioritised for upgrades (but I've have had more upgrades from Saver than Cunard fares).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pushpit said:

At least on the UK screens, if this is a direct booking, there is a one time only screen, right at end of the booking and payment process, where you set your dining and table preferences (which you can alter later) and a tick box for upgrades/decline upgrades - that one vanishes as soon as you move away from the screen. I think I was told that for the UK market this only shows / has an impact on Cunard Fare, since for Saver and Early Saver fares you don't have a fixed cabin to begin with. So Saver passengers effectively have an upgrade flag permanently enabled. The text suggests that Saver fares are not prioritised for upgrades (but I've have had more upgrades from Saver than Cunard fares).

You can have the upgrade option turned off by phoning Cunard as they have the ability to turn it off after booking.

• Thanks 1

On our cruise on QM2 last year we received auto upgrade even though we had asked for no upgrade when booking. We didn't know until we checked in and printed off luggage labels and boarding pass was different

cabin than luggage label. Initially wasn't happy rang TA confused which cabin was right luggage label or boarding pass. TA rang Cunard who confirmed we had been upgraded even after asking for no upgrade on booking. After checking upgraded cabin accepted because it was such a good upgrade.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

On our cruise on QM2 last year we received auto upgrade even though we had asked for no upgrade when booking. We didn't know until we checked in and printed off luggage labels and boarding pass was different

cabin than luggage label. Initially wasn't happy rang TA confused which cabin was right luggage label or boarding pass. TA rang Cunard who confirmed we had been upgraded even after asking for no upgrade on booking. After checking upgraded cabin accepted because it was such a good upgrade.

I see! Did you get the impression that they’d move you if you insisted? My concern is ending up in a balcony visible from above. We are currently booked in a balcony but privacy is essential for us. A larger balcony, but not private, isn’t an upgrade for us. I don’t usually fuss but as it’s our honeymoon, and being a lady, I’d be heartbroken if we had to spend the time hiding from view! Must spend many afternoons relaxing in my robe! :)

41 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Did you get the impression that they’d move you if you insisted?

A lot will depend on how soon you are aware of the upgrade and if the original cabin is still available. It can be done but it is hard work .

Also what the cruise line consider an upgrade is not what you may necessarily an upgrade - you are not going to be going from an inside to a suite, more like the same category of cabin in a different location.

The only time I would consider an automatic upgrade is if I was in the top grade of a cabin category as that would mean that I would be getting a better category of cabin.

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

A lot will depend on how soon you are aware of the upgrade and if the original cabin is still available. It can be done but it is hard work .

Also what the cruise line consider an upgrade is not what you may necessarily an upgrade - you are not going to be going from an inside to a suite, more like the same category of cabin in a different location.

The only time I would consider an automatic upgrade is if I was in the top grade of a cabin category as that would mean that I would be getting a better category of cabin.

Though even then, on a TA, you might not consider a full balcony on the North side of the ship preferable to a sheltered balcony on the sunny side.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I see! Did you get the impression that they’d move you if you insisted? My concern is ending up in a balcony visible from above. We are currently booked in a balcony but privacy is essential for us. A larger balcony, but not private, isn’t an upgrade for us. I don’t usually fuss but as it’s our honeymoon, and being a lady, I’d be heartbroken if we had to spend the time hiding from view! Must spend many afternoons relaxing in my robe! 🙂

I hadnt got a clue of upgrade and neither had my TA until I checked in and downloaded boarding passes and luggage labels and noticed cabin numbers were different. TA phoned Cunard and confirmed upgrade but there was no mention of whether I had a choice or if I wanted to keep original booked cabin. As it was it was upgrade from inside cabin to highest balcony cabin so was happy to accept.

Edited by majortom10

5 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I see! Did you get the impression that they’d move you if you insisted? My concern is ending up in a balcony visible from above. We are currently booked in a balcony but privacy is essential for us. A larger balcony, but not private, isn’t an upgrade for us. I don’t usually fuss but as it’s our honeymoon, and being a lady, I’d be heartbroken if we had to spend the time hiding from view! Must spend many afternoons relaxing in my robe! 🙂

My Goodness ! Appreciate it's your honeymoon , but what on earth are you planning to get up to out on the balcony . 

You are worring far too much, very few of balconies are in full view to other guests , unless you are 'almost close up' to the glass/metal front.

You mention relaxing in your bath robe  - I think that's more preferable and modest than a 'Teeny Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini'. 😉  

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Though even then, on a TA, you might not consider a full balcony on the North side of the ship preferable to a sheltered balcony on the sunny side.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the north side of the ship?  

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the north side of the ship?  

As the ship goes east-west or vice versa across the Atlantic, the North side is the side facing away from the sun. So colder and gloomier.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

As the ship goes east-west or vice versa across the Atlantic, the North side is the side facing away from the sun. So colder and gloomier.

I'm sailing on QM2 from Southampton to New York in July 2025 via Norway, Iceland and Canada in a port side balcony cabin.  I noted all starboard side cabins were already taken when I booked, so I assume I'm on the cold side then!

Edited by Megabear2

Just now, Megabear2 said:

I'm sailing on QM2 from Southampton to New York in July 2025 via Norway, Iceland and Canada in a port side balcony cabin.  I noted all starboard side cabins were already taken when I booked, so I assume I'm on the cold side then!

Surely, if you are going basically West, the port side will mainly face South?

Just now, exlondoner said:

Surely, if you are going basically West, the port side will mainly face South?

On a straight Southampton run we are indeed going West but I'd never heard of a "cold" side although thinking about it that's quite logical.  So assumedly coming back from New York we will be "cold".

The Norway/Iceland bit threw me though. I had thought everyone booked starboard for the New York views perhaps.  Fingers crossed.  Selecting this cabin 8008 has been a work of art trying to avoid deck 12 overhangs etc.  I took this one after seeing Host Hattie's 8009 photograph she kindly posted.  I never thought about sunny side on the Atlantic crossing to be honest, more for the Norway bit as I hope we can enjoy the scenic sailing from the balcony.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I think you are on the Queen Anne, and I guess until we've all had a chance to check out the new ship then there is an element of doubt here. But in general terms the balconies on the other vessels give a fairly good level of privacy. There are a few balconies that wrap around the shape of the ship, which means those balcony owners can perhaps see a bit more, but I wouldn't want to over-state this. In any case, if you want your stateroom and no upgrades, then a quick call to Cunard or TA should put that out of contention. It's not at all unusual to want a particular stateroom, the reason really doesn't matter and is no-one else's concern  - there again unsolicited upgrades aren't that common either. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

I can’t remember if this is your first cruise or not. But do remember the entire ship is on camera except for inside the staterooms. This means private balcony or not, you may be on camera. ( they have to be this way so footage can be had if a person were to go overboard) 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks all for your comments! Re: balcony privacy, I fear I’ve made things sound racier than I intended to. 😂 I really mean that as a woman who covers her hair, I’d love the chance to let my hair down in the wind! And as it’s my honeymoon, feel more entitled to do so freely on such a once in a lifetime trip. 😊 And I did see on the deck plans for Queen Anne that there are some balconies on the fourth deck I believe, which are visible from above (noted as such, at least). I will need to keep that in mind about the cameras though…

Edited by abdullahhoneymoon
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Thanks all for your comments! Re: balcony privacy, I fear I’ve made things sound racier than I intended to. 😂 I really mean that as a woman who covers her hair, I’d love the chance to let my hair down in the wind! And as it’s my honeymoon, feel more entitled to do so freely on such a once in a lifetime trip. 😊 And I did see on the deck plans for Queen Anne that there are some balconies on the fourth deck I believe, which are visible from above (noted as such, at least). I will need to keep that in mind about the cameras though…

Hopefully this won’t be a once in a lifetime trip, in terms of Cunard. Honeymoon, yes. Once in a lifetime. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

There are some ship we have seen or were on that there was sort of a slope effect you were able to view the balconies below.

Don't remember the name but yes could view down..

Happy Marriage and Honeymoon....

11 hours ago, jrmende63 said:

I can’t remember if this is your first cruise or not. But do remember the entire ship is on camera except for inside the staterooms. This means private balcony or not, you may be on camera. ( they have to be this way so footage can be had if a person were to go overboard) 

And it enables them to notice anyone smoking, with luck before a fire starts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abdullahhoneymoon said:

Any balcony is visible from above if the inhabitant is leaning on their balcony and sticking their head out. On the other hand, that is only the front part of the balcony. Stand a little further back and you won’t be seen, and, unless it is an unusually calm day, be well able to feel the wind.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And it enables them to notice anyone smoking, with luck before a fire starts.

I would imagine that the smoke detectors would respond quicker than somebody monitoring several hundred cameras

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would imagine that the smoke detectors would respond quicker than somebody monitoring several hundred cameras

I imagine a cunning and dedicated smoker would manage to direct their smoke away from them, but obviously the same applies to cameras. 😀 Probably the most effective detection system would be someone like me on a nearby balcony, who is quite sensitive to the smell of smoke, ringing up to complain about it.

• Like 2