Flight time question

2 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Can we make a 10:20am flight out of san juan? We are in the Haven and will carry off our luggage. 

If you have been cruising since 1982 I would think you already know the answer. I would not feel comfortable with that flight time. Flying is becoming more and more a crap shoot.

Take the next one and relax .

53 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

If you have been cruising since 1982 I would think you already know the answer. I would not feel comfortable with that flight time. Flying is becoming more and more a crap shoot.

Take the next one and relax .

We have never sailed out of San Juan, hence the question. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

San Juan is a pain to fly out of. First you have to go to the agricultural inspection with ALL of your luggage. Then you have to stand in line to check your bags. Then you have to clear security. For a 10:20 flight all of this has to be completed and you need to be at the gate by 10:00 - no later.  Can it be done? Sure. Is it stressful? Probably. 

One tip to speed things up is to get a porter before you even enter the terminal, and tip him well. 

On another point, if you have time buy liquor after clearing security. You can carry it on the plane since you don’t have to clear security again (assuming your final destination is in the US).

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

We have never sailed out of San Juan, hence the question. 

It would be a very tight connection.  It is possible to do, but as others have indicated, I think you would find it much less stressful if you could schedule a later time.  Assuming you are flying from San Juan to somewhere in the USA, you probably would need to be at the airport by 9:20.  If you are flying to another country, however, you would be expected to arrive by about 8:20.  Assuming you are able to exit the ship and make it through the cruise terminal to your waiting ride by 8:00, that leaves very little transit time.

I never cruise home before noon.  

I have a true story… we cruised out of Long Beach on a weekend cruise.  Mom looked out the window and says “this looks different”… we docked at San Pedro due to mechanical issues at Long Beach.  

They had buses waiting and it was a mad dash.   Some people were screaming they needed to get to the airport.  Luckily, we picked up the phone and called a friend who lived 6 blocks away.  She picked us up and we had a great visit.  We did not have an early flight.  

stuff happens.