Help! is this even possible?

We are flying to Miami from the UK. We being myself, my daughter and 2 teenage granddaughters 19 & 18. Sailing out of Fort Lauderdale next January. I have lived in Canada for 10 years I am very familiar with Fort Lauderdale and a little of Miami. My girls have never been to either so I am keen for them to see a little of each place if possible. 

So, do I book a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for the night before the cruise and show them what I can while we are there and try and do Miami when we get back the following week or the other way around? We land at 2pm and fly out at 5.15pm the following week so not too much time really. Who know when and if they can get back to this part of Florida again so I want to make it worth their while, while we are there.

Luggage storage when we get off the ship is also a worry. Any advise or experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

I would head straight to Fort Lauderdale, spend the night there and show them what you can while you're there. All other considerations aside, accommodation will probably be cheaper and it means you can get to the ship in 10-15 minutes the next morning rather than having an hour's drive from Miami.

For the way home, check out your cruise line's offerings of post-cruise excursions with airport drop-off. These are very convenient when you have 5 pm-ish flights. Your luggage is taken care of because it stays in the bus the whole time and your transport from the ship to the airport is also included so that's something else you don't have to worry about.

Typically, excursions offered would be along the lines of a Miami city tour with 2-3 stops at iconic places such as South Beach, Little Havana or Bayside; or, as an alternative, there will almost certainly also be one that goes to the Everglades and includes an airboat ride. Either of these would allow to make the absolute most of your available time before your flight.

I hope this helps and you have an amazing time. ☺️

• Like 1

The suggestion of city tours is a good one.  The younger women are undoubtedly familiar with South Beach (of Miami Beach). Some tours will drop you at one end of the area, and guide you to the other end. Gianni Versace's house, the beach, the clubs, the 1930s art deco buildings, etc.

• Like 1

Also, bear in mind that if you are landing at 2pm, thats 7pm UK time which means you prbably got a 11am flight, so probably have been up since at least 7am. By the time you get through immigration (took us 2 hours at Houston earlier this year as only one officer 'on duty' for 4 plane loads! In my experience, MIA isn't much better), get you bags, get to hotel, its gonna be like 9 or 10pm. Trust me, you will be knackered!! I'd advise a bit of a re-think.

The cruiseline city tours are usually pretty good. Have done them in Ft. Lauderdale and Cape Liberty before a flight home.

Simon

sddsddean - good point. It is going to be a very long time given the time difference.

I have looked at the tour Princess offers and I have done most of them on previous visits. There are some tour companies that are doing Miami tour that will take luggage and drop us at the airport so that might be an option.

Thanks everyone for you replies. - Food for thought.

• Like 1

I would stay in Hollywood Beach or Ft Lauderdale. You could take the Dolphin Expressway from airport into Downtown Miami, past the Port of Miami and into Miami Beach (South Beach). Lots of good options there depending on what they're interested in seeing. From there take the slow but scenic route up A1A to Hollywood Beach or Ft Lauderdale. 

In Ft Laudy or HB you could take the Water Taxi around to some of the fun spots (Las Olas, Bahia Mar, Bokampers,15th Street Fisheries, Margaritaville). The water taxi goes through Port Everglades so you get a different perspective of the cruise ships.HWatertaxi.thumb.jpeg.7a20f9e212d2b11c31f4713427f73795.jpeg

• Like 1