Can you get on ship wifi in the terminal on embarkation day?

KKB

Recent answers have been "no" and "yes but spotty."  For me, it was "no in Miami and Barcelona" but we moved thru the terminal quickly.  Easier to wait till on board, and I didn't play with locations within the terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

Not in San Juan. But I saw people frantically running all over the place, trying to get reservations …which I found to be super annoying that VV created this

Hunger Games: The Restaurant Edit scenario just to eat on their ships.

I was able to in San Juan in January just by standing by the windows closest to the ship. No frantic running involved. I'm not saying anyone is guaranteed to be able to connect, but I could.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

Not in San Juan. But I saw people frantically running all over the place, trying to get reservations …which I found to be super annoying that VV created this

Hunger Games: The Restaurant Edit scenario just to eat on their ships.

I’ve never run around to get any reservations, just boarded the ship, sat in the Dock or Galley, ordered food and a maybe a cocktail and sat down making them while waiting for the food to come. Got the week planned out in half hour or so.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

I’ve never run around to get any reservations, just boarded the ship, sat in the Dock or Galley, ordered food and a maybe a cocktail and sat down making them while waiting for the food to come. Got the week planned out in half hour or so.

Since there are usually two of us, we sit in The Galley and split the work--one of us makes any changes to dinner reservations needed and the other handles any activity stuff (most of which don't take reservations any more).  You don't need to GO anywhere unless you need help.

But the bottom line as to being able to get ship wifi in the terminal is "sometimes" of "it depends."

Edited by cantgetin

Just got back from Barcelona on a Med Rome cruise on Scarlet. We embarked and disembarked at the WTC port.   I could not get the ships WIFI in the terminal, I had plenty of time to try and I was definitely trying.

This was the worst embarkation process I've been part of since before covid.  Stood in the hot terminal for over an hour waiting to board, no clue what the issue was, but it was far from a good experience.

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

Stood in the hot terminal for over an hour waiting to board, no clue what the issue was, but it was far from a good experience.

Out of interest, what arrival time did you have, what time did you arrive at the terminal and what time did you actually board?

1 minute ago, jon81uk said:

Out of interest, what arrival time did you have, what time did you arrive at the terminal and what time did you actually board?

I had a 2:30 arrival time, showed up at 2:15 and were allowed to go into terminal. Stood in there for an hour.  Went straight to cabin at 3:45.

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

I had a 2:30 arrival time, showed up at 2:15 and were allowed to go into terminal. Stood in there for an hour.  Went straight to cabin at 3:45.

That is weird then. The two times I’ve boarded at Barcelona after we did check in we walked directly into the ship.

3 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

That is weird then. The two times I’ve boarded at Barcelona after we did check in we walked directly into the ship.

Last year, same terminal, no issues.

23 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Just got back from Barcelona on a Med Rome cruise on Scarlet. We embarked and disembarked at the WTC port.   I could not get the ships WIFI in the terminal, I had plenty of time to try and I was definitely trying.

This was the worst embarkation process I've been part of since before covid.  Stood in the hot terminal for over an hour waiting to board, no clue what the issue was, but it was far from a good experience.

This is very odd.  We've done 2 Barcelona embarkations, one from each terminal, and they were far smoother than Miami.  We had 1:30 times each time.  At WTC, showed up at 1, went thru security and check in, then boarded about 1:35.  In fact, at 1:30 the woman "in charge" of us went to call her supervisor saying we should have begun boarding by now. She returned within minutes and we boarded. We were in our cabin by 1:45...likely a few minutes earlier, but I didn't look till then..  The second time was similar but at the other terminal, again, quick and easy.

Both of our Miami boardings were a bit of a mess

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Both of our Miami boardings were a bit of a mess

I did my Virgin 3rd sailing out of Miami last June and it too was the most disorganized of the 3. In addition, the porters were pretty, how shall I put it..."abrupt" to some of the passengers too, although, I do carry on only now, so not me.

Edited by Cloud9 Bob

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, WatermelonSugarHigh said:

Is this is a cliffhanger 😂…what happened? 

Because my travel buddy has a medical issue, we travel with a suitcase of medical supplies, braces, etc which  would be a disaster to have lost.  Thus, I always carry it on board. I turned over a suitcase that was intact (but not the medical bag) and it showed up in our room obviously cut.  The porter was really rude when I "only" tipped him $5 for 2 bags and carried the third one myself.  I obviously can't prove that the porter was responsible, only that he was rude.  But it wasn't like the suitcase "exploded " or ripped, it was obviously slashed.

Edited by cantgetin