left luggage? can i visit NYC?

Our flight back to the UK from JFK is 6pm but cruise docks at Bayonne in the morning. We don't know what to do in the time between arrival and departure? 

Can we taxi to Manhattan to visit a couple of places and leave our suitcases safely somewhere? 

Anyone got any help or tips for this please?

thanks

4 hours ago, cambridgegirl said:

Our flight back to the UK from JFK is 6pm but cruise docks at Bayonne in the morning. We don't know what to do in the time between arrival and departure? 

Can we taxi to Manhattan to visit a couple of places and leave our suitcases safely somewhere? 

thanks

There are luggage storage websites such as Bounce and Luggage Hero that contract with various types of retail stores that will store your belongings in a back room at their locations. You have to check their locations and hours of service carefully to see if they meet your needs.

For a more formal luggage storage facility Amtrak has storage available at $20 per item for those without an Amtrak ticket at the Moynihan Train Hall at New York Penn Station.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:38 AM, cambridgegirl said:

thanks

Have you checked your cruise’s “shore excursion” offerings? Sometimes the cruise lines offer a disembarkation day excursion by bus, where they keep your luggage in the bus’s baggage compartment underneath. Then the excursion ends at the airport. (Be sure it ends at JFK, not Newark or LaGuardia, of course.)

• 3 weeks later...

go to viator.com and look for private tours that would allow you to just take your luggage with you.  The other option is to use the Bounce app to find a place to store your luggage.  When I cruised out of Baltimore I had a late flight home.  I found a UPS store downtown that was part of the Bounce program.  I took a cab there, dropped my luggage and spent the day in the Baltimore.  Then picked up the luggage and took an Uber to the airport later.  It worked great!

On 8/2/2024 at 10:38 AM, cambridgegirl said:

You don't have as much time as you might think. Let's say you are off the ship at 8am-- you'll be in Midtown Manhattan by 9. Most folks are going to tell you to get to JFK 3 hours in advance for an international flight so you would have to leave Manhattan no later than 2, possibly 1:30 if its a weekday. 

You might actually be well served by hiring a car service by the hour which will take care of your transportation as well as the luggage issue. Carmel and Dial 7 can be as low as $40 per hour for this service and you would essentially need 5-6 hours. You'll have to also pay for tolls and tip but you're looking at something at or slightly above $300 and you can tell them to go anywhere you want to sightsee in NYC and they'll wait for you. What's crazy is this can sometimes be close in cost to a cruise company's transfer as long as you have 2-3 people.