Experiences of Bangkok ports.

machotspur

A long shot I know but i'm hoping that there are folk on here that have experience of Bangkok port(s) with Oceania.

We have been informed by O that the planned port for our cruise next year is currently Khlong Toey which is relatively close to the city centre.

(although as with all cruise lines we are informed that this may change). 

However - the 'Shuttle Bus list' sticky at the top of this board shows that the 'usual' port is Laem Chabang, which as some will know is 2 hours drive from Bangkok downtown. (we understand that the Oceania shuttle bus will merely drop us at the port entrance - not the City). 

With our cruise we are only in Bangkok for two 'half days' - PM - then AM. Many of the excursions are listed as being 4.5 hours. If the ship docks in Laem Chabang then this would mean that with the 2 hours E/W journey to the city, the tour would last 30 minutes !

- So - please - any one out there who has recent experience of Bangkok with Oceania ?

- what ship were you on (i'm thinking that maybe the larger ships dock at Laem Chabang, with the smaller further upstream at Khlong Toey) ?

- if you docked in Laem Chabang how did this affect the excursions - if at all ?

- if docked in Khlong Toey where did the Oceania shuttle bus take one to ?

Thank you so much to anyone who can assist me with this.          

If I am at the right port, Khlong Toey had two shuttle buses.  One which took you to the city which I believe dropped you off at the Thompson House and the other took you to a local shopping centre (imho not worth going to)  The close shopping centre was not a long ride, and friends told me the other was about an hour

Posted (edited)

Part of the answer lies as to which ship you are on. We were on the Nautica, a R ship, and went to the port closest to town. The O ships don’t go that far up river, thus the longer bus ride. Even though one poster believes “ details aren’t necessary “, in this case they very much are. Which ship are you on?

Edited by pinotlover

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, machotspur said:

if docked in Khlong Toey where did the Oceania shuttle bus take one to ?

About 6 years ago we docked there on the smaller (R) ship.

About 25 - 40 mins on the shuttle depending on traffic.

Drop off was at a shopping mall ( can't recall the name), but it was a short walk to a nearby BTS Skytrain station.

We caught that to Saphan Taksin station which is on the Silom Line.

This is next to the main ferry stop to catch a boat up the river. You can decide how far you want to travel depending on your plans.

A fun day.

Edited by Tranquility Base

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Part of the answer lies as to which ship you are on. We were on the Nautica, a R ship, and went to the port closest to town. The O ships don’t go that far up river, thus the longer bus ride. Even though one poster believes “ details aren’t necessary “, in this case they very much are. Which ship are you on?

I agree. We were on the Nautica in 2018 which sailed into Klong Toey  but the Riviera, last February, sailed into Laem Chabang. 

45 minutes ago, no fuss travel said:

If I am at the right port, Khlong Toey had two shuttle buses.  One which took you to the city which I believe dropped you off at the Thompson House and the other took you to a local shopping centre (imho not worth going to)  The close shopping centre was not a long ride, and friends told me the other was about an hour

6 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

About 6 years ago we docked there on the smaller (R) ship.

About 25 - 40 mins on the shuttle depending on traffic.

Drop off was at a shopping mall ( can't recall the name), but it was a short walk to a nearby BTS Skytrain station.

We caught that to Saphan Taksin station which is on the Silom Line.

This is next to the main ferry stop to catch a boat up the river. You can decide how far you want to travel depending on your plans.

A fun day.

5 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I agree. We were on the Nautica in 2018 which sailed into Klong Toey  but the Riviera, last February, sailed into Laem Chabang. 

22 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thank you all - that's great insight and consistent with what we had assumed i.e. the smaller R ships go upstream. We are on Regatta so will anticipate being in Khlong Toey (aware that changes may happen of course).

We've previously done most of what we want to in Bangkok & surrounds so a shuttle to Jim Thompsons will suit us fine. 

• Like 2