New to MSC - booking questions

DorothyB

I may be booking a cruise on MSC; I am used to sailing on NCL . . . I got all of the way to paying the deposit, but still didn't see anything that verifies the daily gratuity type charge or an option to add internet.  Do those come later?  (Aurea only allowed me to add drink package if I wanted that)  

I did the status matching and am Gold (which I understand might give me a 5% discount on all cruises??)  But I am not sure how to tell that the system knows I am Gold.  I did put my member number in when I signed up last week.  Today (maybe since I started, but didn't complete a booking), every time I try to look at my account, it says Hi Dorothy and then a box comes up "Request Failed with status code 502"

I know I want the browse & stream internet and know that it only works on ONE device, but I can't figure out how to find out the cost?

Thanks!

You should be able to add drinks to any category, not just Aurea. I just booked a cruise and it is the second window that pops up, it is Choose Your Limited Time Offer and you can click either cruise only or add drinks. I see they are not offering free WiFi with the current promotion. When I booked it was add drinks and WiFi.  You can purchase WiFi after you have booked.  Not sure when it shows up but mine right now are not showing anything available for purchase. They have a browse package and a browse and stream package. 

Not sure of the current prices since it could have gone up. Here is a good article on MSC's internet and explains the two packages.  https://cruise.blog/msc/msc-cruises-wifi-and-internet-onboard

Sign in when you go to book, you will still need to add your MSC number in order to get the 5% off. There will be a place to add it during the booking. 

thanks - I was all of the way to payment and didn't have a spot yet, but maybe if I kept going . . . 🙂

I did see the option to add drink package, but I actually mostly drink water.  Worst case, I would drink 10 Dr Peppers and 2 Strawberry Daiquiris so under $70 for 7 days.  More likely would be 7 Dr Peppers and 1 Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri

When you go to book, you need to click this link at the top to enter your voyager's club number in order to get the 5% discount. Right now there does not seem to be a promo that includes wifi, but you can add that after the fact. There is no way to pre-pay DSC online. The only way to pre-pay is to call in. Otherwise, you will be billed onboard.

image.thumb.png.1f0d214a83e8607724c54d74d41b902d.png

If you book 6 months ahead Voyager members get 5%+5% discount.  Booking 12months ahead you get €50obc on top of 5%+5%.  You get all these discount if you book via a travel agent .....we usually get at least another 7-9% discount from the TA.

• Thanks 1

I'm US, but did see something about OBC.  So if I book 12 months in advance, I get 5% + 5% + a little OBC? even if I book through MSC?  Any advantage to contacting the "concierge" vs just booking on-line by myself?

I'm actually looking at Nov 2025 when the Seascape comes to Galveston for the first time.  

I was seeing "deposit non-refundable" and it was making me nervous, but I think that for a 7 day cruise in Aurea (not Yacht Club), if I cancel over 90 days before, I get my deposit back??

If I want to book in the next two months, is MSC kind of like NCL in that they keep having sales, but they all come out basically the same? or should I be watching?  I would want unlimited streaming internet and no drink package (although if a drink package is free or under $5 / day I'd take it)

Thanks!

Choose a good on-line Travel Agent for the best deal. If you cancel you will lose your deposit even before 90 days.  Price drops are extremely rare on MSC as prices are already rock bottom, prices usually increase the near to sail you book.

Choose a YIN cabin if available, Yacht Club is the best cruising experience and sell out quickly.

On 8/5/2024 at 3:12 PM, DorothyB said:

I may be booking a cruise on MSC; I am used to sailing on NCL . . . I got all of the way to paying the deposit, but still didn't see anything that verifies the daily gratuity type charge or an option to add internet.  Do those come later?  (Aurea only allowed me to add drink package if I wanted that)  

I did the status matching and am Gold (which I understand might give me a 5% discount on all cruises??)  But I am not sure how to tell that the system knows I am Gold.  I did put my member number in when I signed up last week.  Today (maybe since I started, but didn't complete a booking), every time I try to look at my account, it says Hi Dorothy and then a box comes up "Request Failed with status code 502"

I know I want the browse & stream internet and know that it only works on ONE device, but I can't figure out how to find out the cost?

Thanks!

Us a TA or transfer to one to avoid any problems going forward.

If you have any issues it's better to have a TA deal with it.

Costs you nothing!!

On 8/10/2024 at 9:28 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Us a TA or transfer to one to avoid any problems going forward.

If you have any issues it's better to have a TA deal with it.

Costs you nothing!!

Two questions:

1) I got an email about upcoming Labor Day sales. I am looking at Nov 2025 cruise so all is greater than 120 days before the cruise.  I am planning to book Aurea experience and am gold status due to status matching.  If I book now through a travel agent, and the labor day sale is better for me, can the booking cost be adjusted? or can I cancel and rebook without losing my cabin?  What about if I opt not to go with a travel agent?

2) I've always booked direct with NCL, but I think I might try a travel agent.  How do I pick a "good" travel agent?

Thanks!

On 8/10/2024 at 6:31 AM, JamieLogical said:

If you book in the US and do not book YC, the refund is most definitely refundable outside of 90 days. I have done it multiple times.

Thanks!  I'd like to get more info on your experiences - is there a way to ask you a question privately?

5 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

Thanks!  I'd like to get more info on your experiences - is there a way to ask you a question privately?

Unfortunately there is no private messaging on Cruise Critic.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Unfortunately there is no private messaging on Cruise Critic.

Thanks - you can see my signature line to see that I haven't sailed MSC before 🙂

I do appreciate all of the questions you've answered for me.

Edited by DorothyB

On 8/11/2024 at 4:55 PM, DorothyB said:

Two questions:

1) I got an email about upcoming Labor Day sales. I am looking at Nov 2025 cruise so all is greater than 120 days before the cruise.  I am planning to book Aurea experience and am gold status due to status matching.  If I book now through a travel agent, and the labor day sale is better for me, can the booking cost be adjusted? or can I cancel and rebook without losing my cabin?  What about if I opt not to go with a travel agent?

2) I've always booked direct with NCL, but I think I might try a travel agent.  How do I pick a "good" travel agent?

Thanks!

MSC rarely drops pricing so I wouldn't worry about that too much and if they did, it would probably be after final payment.

A good TA.... Some of the big ones rebate and they have huge pull due to their volume.

Do a search for cruises and see what pops up. Some TA deal in cruises only so they can get you some good perks.  Pricing is usually set by the cruise line which is why they rebate or give perks.