Butlers

We are returning on the Splendor in 2 weeks. We have always been tight with our butlers as they 

can make a cruise that much better. Prem was like family to us and we also  loved Raju. Looking

forward to meeting Nithy!!

Interesting,  can you change if you know you don’t like them?  Lol!  We will have a butler for the first time in a couple of weeks,  not sure what they will do for us.  As long as we have plenty of ice and cold water I’m happy!  Maybe pigs in blanket or a shrimp cocktail as a snack!  

8 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

We will have a butler for the first time in a couple of weeks,  not sure what they will do for us.

They'll do whatever you want.  Like you, we are "low maintenance" when it comes to butlers.  But they will bring canapes every night between 5 and 6 if you wish, and they'll mix drinks or deliver drinks if you wish. They'll be the person you contact for any issue, collect and deliver your laundry, bring you any room service, make extra dining reservations if available, cancel shore tours if you decide not to go, etc.  When we were in the South Pacific we often had 2 tours in a day, one being beach and one being shore tour.  Usually we'd have less than 2 hours to change after the morning tour.  So we would have our butler place lunch in our cabin at a specific time so it was there when we got back and we could eat while changing for our next tour.  VERY helpful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

They'll do whatever you want.  Like you, we are "low maintenance" when it comes to butlers.  But they will bring canapes every night between 5 and 6 if you wish, and they'll mix drinks or deliver drinks if you wish. They'll be the person you contact for any issue, collect and deliver your laundry, bring you any room service, make extra dining reservations if available, cancel shore tours if you decide not to go, etc.  When we were in the South Pacific we often had 2 tours in a day, one being beach and one being shore tour.  Usually we'd have less than 2 hours to change after the morning tour.  So we would have our butler place lunch in our cabin at a specific time so it was there when we got back and we could eat while changing for our next tour.  VERY helpful. 

Thank you!

We will also have a butler for the first time in a couple of weeks and couldn't think what a butler could do that's above and beyond what a room steward does.

I guess a butler would have fewer cabins than a room steward so more time.

How many cabins does a butler typically have?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

When we were in the South Pacific we often had 2 tours in a day, one being beach and one being shore tour.  Usually we'd have less than 2 hours to change after the morning tour.  So we would have our butler place lunch in our cabin at a specific time so it was there when we got back and we could eat while changing for our next tour.  VERY helpful. 

What a great idea.  Filing away for future reference.  🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, chamima said:

Not exactly sure how many cabins the serve, but they are very reachable by phone, and the two times we had one, were very responsive.  It's really nice to have a "go to" person for anything that you need.  And remember, they love the job and really want you to use them.  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Thanks 1

And to add...  Butlers have to take breaks like anyone else.  If you need service during a time when your butler is on off-hours, a stand-in butler will be serving you.  They work as a team and cover each other.  You will not go unattended.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 8:16 AM, chamima said:

Thank you!

We will also have a butler for the first time in a couple of weeks and couldn't think what a butler could do that's above and beyond what a room steward does.

I guess that we are considered low maintenance also.

We tried a penthouse our last cruise. The butler was nice, but we really thought that, for what we need/want, he was no different than what the room steward provides.

Really, laundry service, requests for wine, soda pop was about the same as before. (We leave a note for room steward)

We did order a shrimp cocktail most afternoons which he delivered, but we could have ordered from room service. And that you can do spontaneously whereas the butler asked to be notified in the morning.

We made our specialty reservations ahead of time, and my husband did add one by stopping by the desk in the lobby.

So (at least in our opinion) one might want the bigger size of a penthouse or above, but the butler didn't change much.

Theory question. If the butler unpacks your clothing and some items need to be pressed.  Will they take care of that?  I wondering if they think and surprise you, or do you need to ask and explain?  

3 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

I guess that we are considered low maintenance also.

We tried a penthouse our last cruise. The butler was nice, but we really thought that, for what we need/want, he was no different than what the room steward provides.

Really, laundry service, requests for wine, soda pop was about the same as before. (We leave a note for room steward)

We did order a shrimp cocktail most afternoons which he delivered, but we could have ordered from room service. And that you can do spontaneously whereas the butler asked to be notified in the morning.

We made our specialty reservations ahead of time, and my husband did add one by stopping by the desk in the lobby.

So (at least in our opinion) one might want the bigger size of a penthouse or above, but the butler didn't change much.

ah, you must have had our butler 🙂  He wanted canape reservations in the morning, when I asked him around 11, he told me that it was too late, but I could ask room service later. I did...and guess what...he was the one delivering it. Thought this was weird...

On 8/10/2024 at 1:16 PM, chamima said:

Thank you!

I guess a butler would have fewer cabins than a room steward so more time.

I asked our butler this question just a week ago on the Voyager. He said he had 12 cabins. He was very good in that if we forgot to order canapés, he would arrive with something anyway. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gcto said:

ah, you must have had our butler 🙂  He wanted canape reservations in the morning, when I asked him around 11, he told me that it was too late, but I could ask room service later. I did...and guess what...he was the one delivering it. Thought this was weird...

Do all butlers want your canape order in the morning?

7 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

Do all butlers want your canape order in the morning?

Yes. There’s a canapé selection menu in your room and it has on it to contact your butler before 11am with your choices for the day. As mentioned, we did forget several times over our 15 night cruise but our butler always brought something anyway. 

• Thanks 1

We have always booked the PH-for the layout. Before our first cruise we also wondered if a butler would be more of a nuisance as we are also very low maintenance.

In general they are fine and can be helpful if you have an issue (the best aspect we’ve found is on disembarkation day we order breakfast in the room and they seem to prioritize early delivery).

on our last cruise our Cabin Stewardess was awesome and we used her more often. If you have any issues though they are a single point of contact…

• Like 1