Taking a scooter on an excursion

We are seriously considering renting a scooter for our upcoming cruise on carnival celebration. We have stops in Costa, Cozumel and Roatan. I think Roatan is not going be much of a problem, but the piers at the other two are long enough let alone if we wanted to go on an excursion. Will a taxi or a bus take my scooter or will they let me store it at their office and then I could do the excursion with a cane? 

Most entities that run excursions don't usually have an office at the pier, maybe a kiosk, and they are not manned the entire day.

There are no advance guarantees that a taxi or bus will accommodate your scooter, especially if it is not highly collapsible. Additionally, you may find many destinations not friendly to wheels, unfortunately.

19 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Most entities that run excursions don't usually have an office at the pier, maybe a kiosk, and they are not manned the entire day.

There are no advance guarantees that a taxi or bus will accommodate your scooter, especially if it is not highly collapsible. Additionally, you may find many destinations not friendly to wheels, unfortunately.

Thanks. Kind of what I feared. Those piers are no joke.  They are all over 1100 ft. 

Special Needs Group (formerly Special Needs at Sea) rents a folding scooter.   You can see if they can have one available for your cruise.  

I ended up buying a folding scooter because it fits so easily in my car and now I don't have to rent one everywhere.   

You'll want to either check with Carnival or schedule in advance with a private tour company and confirm that they can accommodate you.  There are some that have vans designed to transport disabled passengers, but they aren't common

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gadaboutgal said:

Cozumel pier has bicycle taxis from ship to land.  They are no fee, but tips are requested.  

That’s fantastic. Thanks. 

After everything I’ve now read I feel a lot more confident about everything. 😁

THANKS EVERYONE 

On 8/7/2024 at 4:58 PM, Mimie03 said:

We are seriously considering renting a scooter for our upcoming cruise on carnival celebration. We have stops in Costa, Cozumel and Roatan. I think Roatan is not going be much of a problem, but the piers at the other two are long enough let alone if we wanted to go on an excursion. Will a taxi or a bus take my scooter or will they let me store it at their office and then I could do the excursion with a cane? 

Hello

I have to mention that if you are looking to go on excursions, a mobility scooter makes it extremely difficult. 

If you have some mobility and there is someone in your party that is capable of pushing you, you would be much better off taking a "folding" wheelchair. With that you will be able to navigate the streets in most Caribbean island. You will certainly be able to easily put it in a taxi, and I have found that some excursion operators are able to accommodate a wheelchair on their bus. (call them and ask when you are booking)

have a wonderful cruise

1 minute ago, Nic6318 said:

Hello

I have to mention that if you are looking to go on excursions, a mobility scooter makes it extremely difficult. 

If you have some mobility and there is someone in your party that is capable of pushing you, you would be much better off taking a "folding" wheelchair. With that you will be able to navigate the streets in most Caribbean island. You will certainly be able to easily put it in a taxi, and I have found that some excursion operators are able to accommodate a wheelchair on their bus. (call them and ask when you are booking)

have a wonderful cruise

We are looking into a walker that can double as a transport chair, if necessary. I think that would give me more flexibility.  I can walk, with a cane, but my foot can’t handle long distances. (Surgery in January) Thanks for your response. It’s pretty much my thoughts too.  

18 minutes ago, Mimie03 said:

We are looking into a walker that can double as a transport chair, if necessary. I think that would give me more flexibility.  I can walk, with a cane, but my foot can’t handle long distances. (Surgery in January) Thanks for your response. It’s pretty much my thoughts too.  

Hi

I understand. That would be my second choice, but whichever works best for you. Either way, you will be able to go places and enjoy the islands.

😀

• Like 1

Many of the convertible rollators don't donsonwell as wheelchairs over rougher terrain. They are OK on indoor flooring, but may be a little hard on uneven pavement and bricks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On my last cruise I rented a scooter for the first time from Scootaround. Part of the fine print in the rental contract (that I only saw after I had paid) said the rented scooter could not be driven up or down the gangway. If that contract is standard, you either breach it or you don't get to take your rented scooter on excursions.

21 hours ago, LakeSideKen said:

On my last cruise I rented a scooter for the first time from Scootaround. Part of the fine print in the rental contract (that I only saw after I had paid) said the rented scooter could not be driven up or down the gangway. If that contract is standard, you either breach it or you don't get to take your rented scooter on excursions.

The key word in the contract is "driven".  It can be pushed by the crew without issue, as they are not driving it up/down the gangway.  The weight of a person puts additional stress on the motor, battery, and brakes of the scooter.

• Like 3

It depends on the excursion.  I've gone on private excursions with my scooter.  It folds up and goes into the trunk and we get it out when I need it.  Some stops are just photo ops or something and others I need to go a distance.  I've been more leery of ship excursions because I'm never sure what kind of bus they're using and some of them absolutely have no room for anything but the passengers.  I've had many, many taxis take my scooter so that's not a problem.  We've been to hop on hop off busses all over the place and they have a dedicated place for scooters and wheelchairs.  I do remember one tour bus that let me leave my scooter with them while we were gone.  I was startled to come back and it was just sitting there and no one was really paying attention.  I mean, I do have the key but I thought they'd be paying a bit more attention! 

14 hours ago, casaloma said:

It depends on the excursion.  I've gone on private excursions with my scooter.  It folds up and goes into the trunk and we get it out when I need it.  Some stops are just photo ops or something and others I need to go a distance.  I've been more leery of ship excursions because I'm never sure what kind of bus they're using and some of them absolutely have no room for anything but the passengers.  I've had many, many taxis take my scooter so that's not a problem.  We've been to hop on hop off busses all over the place and they have a dedicated place for scooters and wheelchairs.  I do remember one tour bus that let me leave my scooter with them while we were gone.  I was startled to come back and it was just sitting there and no one was really paying attention.  I mean, I do have the key but I thought they'd be paying a bit more attention! 

I think what we’ve decided to do is get one of those Rollator walkers that can convert into a transfer chair. That way if I’m too tired to walk coming back, my husband can push me.  That way, I am certain that I can go on any excursion. This will also work for being on the ship.  I just purchased the Foster to the fun for carnival.  That will get me into shorter priority lines instead of the long line where the other 5000 people will be standing.  Joke. I know they aren’t all boarding at the same time but but I hear that disembarkation can be brutal so this should help.  

I agree with you that they should’ve paid closer attention to your scooter. You may have had the key, but that thing could’ve been damaged and that would’ve been a huge problem for you. Luckily, it turned out well for you.  

On 8/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, Nic6318 said:

Hello

have a wonderful cruise

We have a foldable scooter that will fit in the trunk of even a small taxi. Many buses can accommodate this type scooter.  Also, have found that it will go most places.

Edited by Syd58