Bow Access on Any Celebrity Ships?

LEMJMcC

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If a real emergency happens and they need to get a large number of passengers off via helo, landing a helo is the faster way to accomplish that. 

What? I figured they would just drop multiple ropes down from the helo.  It looks easy on TV.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

If a real emergency happens and they need to get a large number of passengers off via helo, landing a helo is the faster way to accomplish that. 

By the time they've dealt with all of the rigging above and surrounding the helo pad to secure the area for landing, you could probably have hauled up two or three with a basket.  It's a big damned deal for sure.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

By the time they've dealt with all of the rigging above and surrounding the helo pad to secure the area for landing, you could probably have hauled up two or three with a basket.  It's a big damned deal for sure.

Last time I looked, on Millennium, it was a matter of pulling a couple of pins to lower the pole up front on the bow, disconnecting the wire, and pulling the wire up to a higher deck.  Then again, I could be wrong as I really never put a lot of thought into it.  

We only had that issue on the Navy ships I was on when we had the ship rigged for dress (signal flags being flown from a wire that stretched from bow to stern, over the masts). 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Last time I looked, on Millennium, it was a matter of pulling a couple of pins to lower the pole up front on the bow, disconnecting the wire, and pulling the wire up to a higher deck.  Then again, I could be wrong as I really never put a lot of thought into it.  

We only had that issue on the Navy ships I was on when we had the ship rigged for dress (signal flags being flown from a wire that stretched from bow to stern, over the masts). 

There's the line from just above the bridge to a mast forward of the helo pad.  Then two? masts have to be lowered.  Then the 8 or so 'park benches' would have to be moved.  Then I believe all of the 'guardrail' wall around the outside has to be folded down to the deck.

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

the “fence” you can see here folds  down as does the mast/flagpole which goes into a hatch 

For years I didn’t think that helicopters actually landed on the helipad and then I finally saw it happen.

IMG_5317.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1