Deckside Digest - YC Edition: Volume 24 Episode 1 (MSC Seascape 8/17-8/24)

MonsterJoe

Posted (edited)

With that said, I do need to update that list. I have a white suit for white night that will also bring.

The rest of the formal stuff is not technically formal...it is a combination of suit separates that I will mix and match all week for dinner..i will also mix some of my long sleeve collared linen shirts underneath my jackets to keep packing lighter...the exception being a black suit and tie for Elegant night.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 3:58 PM, MonsterJoe said:

DW is particularly looking forward to daily crepes and gelato, and we’re all excited about the copious amounts of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Where do you find crepes and gelato onboard? I don’t recall seeing crepes or gelato on the menu in YC. We’ve only cruised twice w/ MSC in YC so may have missed it.

7 minutes ago, SeasideMemories said:

Where do you find crepes and gelato onboard? I don’t recall seeing crepes or gelato on the menu in YC. We’ve only cruised twice w/ MSC in YC so may have missed it.

I was talking about for cost, outside the YC.  'Where' depends on the ship, and I am not sure about Seascape yet.

8 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

DW has been doing a wonderful job as usual, making sure we've got everything ready. I stay out of the way and do what is asked - mostly because work really rides me hard when I'm about to go on vacation.

Here's our working list - it's not exhausting, just what I can remember at the moment.

Travel Documents & Essentials

• Passports
  • Cruise Documents, Boarding Pass, Luggage tags
  • Travel Insurance Details

Carry-On Bag

• Change of Clothes 
  • Medications
  • Electronics & Chargers
  • Swimsuits
  • Snacks
  • Cruise Card Lanyards/clips

Clothing (emphasis on interchangeable items)

• Daywear (4 outfits)
  • Evening Wear (3 outfits)
  • Formal Wear (2 outfits)
  • Swimwear (2-3 swimsuits)
  • Activewear (2 outfits, easily washable)
  • Sleepwear (3 outfits)
  • Undergarments & Socks
  • Comfortable Walking/Deck Shoes
  • Flip Flops or Sandals
  • Water socks
  • Hat & Sunglasses

Toiletries & Personal Care

• Sunscreen
  • Aloe
  • Makeup & Makeup Remover
  • Hair Stuff (brush, comb, hair ties, straightener)
  • Razor & Shaving Cream
  • Deodorant
  • Diapers
  • Wipes

Beach & Pool Gear

• Beach Tote/Bag
  • Books

Electronics & Gadgets

• Camera & Memory Cards
  • Portable Charger/Power Bank
  • Power Strip and Outlet Adapter
  • Laptop

Health & Wellness

• First Aid Kit: Band-Aids, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers
  • Seasick meds
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Vitamins & Supplements

Miscellaneous

• Travel Laundry Detergent
  • Ziploc Bags (for wet items, snacks, etc.)
  • Small Backpack
  • Card Games
  • USB Fans (room and stroller)
  • Cabin Hooks
  • Door Hanging Shoe Organizer (for storage)
  • Thank You Cards/Envelopes: For the crew

I don't see diahrrea meds....that's the 1st thing in my med ziploc bag! Just sayin'

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

This one especially made me laugh. It's a holiday, no? 😁

Only if you can wear them at the buffet.....with some fuzzy slippers preferably with heals for a formal feel!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

This one especially made me laugh. It's a holiday, no? 😁

That one sounded more formal than I intended. I meant throwing a few pairs of shorts and tshirts in the bag.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 10:04 PM, DaKahuna said:

That is listed as something that a butler will do but we have never had them unpack or pack our suitcases.  I cannot even imagine my wife letting anyone touch her clothes.  I help by sitting the suit cases on the bed, getting out of the way while she unpacks and organizes her things and then open my suitcase and hand her my things to put away. 

When it comes to packing, I ask her what she wants me to do.  Otherwise, I stay out of her way and let her do her thing. 

Smart man! 

On 8/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, Best Cat Mom said:

Bummer! Always nice to meet other CC members. I'm sure you'll have a great time. We'll try not to drink them out of everything good!

Just don't drink all the Stella's or the XO or the Gray Goose! 😄

On 8/9/2024 at 2:11 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

"Originality is nothing but judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another."

Voltaire

Sally forth Oh seeker of truth !   (And please report back to us)

P.S. "Sally forth" is an old-fashioned or literary phrasal verb that means to leave a place in a determined or enthusiastic way, or to embark or get going. It can also mean to rapidly set off on an adventure or outing.

For me Sally Forth will always be equated to the funny pages and what is still burned in my mind decades later is the on and off again discussion of the $400.00,  4 minute potato cooker better known as the microwave 

8 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Just don't drink all the Stella's or the XO or the Gray Goose!

Champagne, Oberon cabernet sauvignon, Hennessy, Cointreau or a "real" bourbon are the ones where we might clean them out, otherwise you're fine. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Champagne, Oberon cabernet sauvignon, Hennessy, Cointreau or a "real" bourbon are the ones where we might clean them out, otherwise you're fine. 😁

Oh dear....not the Hennessy XO and champagne?!?!   You can have the prosecco but not the Champagne! 😳

5 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Please don't.  But what you don't finish on week one, I can try and help with on week two of your cruise. 

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2024 at 5:09 PM, MonsterJoe said:

I have a professional career in knowledge work, but I work at home, so I look forward to getting gussied up...same with DW

I like your list and may steal it after customizing it for us. 

I wore a suit for work for years and never really felt comfortable wearing them.  I've put on a little weight since retiring two years ago and don't think I could button the collar on my dress shirts.  

I know a lot of people enjoy getting dressed up that's just not us. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I like your list and may steal it after customizing it for us. 

I wore a suit for work for years and never really felt comfortable wearing them.  I've put on a little weight since retiring two years ago and don't think I could button the collar on my dress shirts.  

I know a lot of people enjoy getting dressed up that's just not us. 

You are in similiar company 👍

We will stay away from ties, jackets and Rhinestones..My DH will wear a collard button down shirt with nice slacks

I will wear nice slacks with dressy top and costume jewelery.

Decided it was best to leave the Bolex watch and cubic zirconia at home.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 6:00 AM, MonsterJoe said:

That one sounded more formal than I intended. I meant throwing a few pairs of shorts and tshirts in the bag.

Just throw on a billed hat and you are ready for formal night! 

Shoes optional.

• Haha 1

Yesterday was travel day. I have to say it was the single best travel day I've ever had.

Got to logan with no traffic...checked our bags at the curb and we zoomed through everything and checked into the skyclub lounge in about 10 minutes total.

The flight was a dream, zero turbulence, landed in FLL early and we found our turo car without getting lost.

I'm convinced that people who call Boston drivers the worst have never driven in Florida.

Arrived at Yotelpad around 8 ordered some tacos and went to bed.

We are considering breakfast or just driving to the port and waiting on the pool deck since it shouldn't take long to get on the ship.

Does anyone know why cc sometimes attaches images sideways?  I will hold off on posting any until I figure that out..

1 hour ago, MonsterJoe said:

Yesterday was travel day. I have to say it was the single best travel day I've ever had.

Got to logan with no traffic...checked our bags at the curb and we zoomed through everything and checked into the skyclub lounge in about 10 minutes total.

The flight was a dream, zero turbulence, landed in FLL early and we found our turo car without getting lost.

I'm convinced that people who call Boston drivers the worst have never driven in Florida.

Arrived at Yotelpad around 8 ordered some tacos and went to bed.

We are considering breakfast or just driving to the port and waiting on the pool deck since it shouldn't take long to get on the ship.

Does anyone know why cc sometimes attaches images sideways?  I will hold off on posting any until I figure that out..

Let us know your thoughts when you check in. Hope it's as I picture in my mind!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Let us know your thoughts when you check in. Hope it's as I picture in my mind!

DD2 is napping while DW and DS are out exploring.

We opted to just get on the ship.

Checking was a breeze. Terminal C was 8 minutes from our hotel. The YC tent is aft, just like YC, so when you loop around in the street, it is immediately on the right after the stop sign. Don't miss it.

They whisked everyone but me through security while I parked at the C garage, which is about 100 yards from the tent.

The same man, Jean Juil, who told us what to do was waiting for me to come back so he whisked me through security too and into the yc waiting area where I was reunited with my family after a grueling 10 minutes apart. 🙂

We were done in there in under 5 minutes and brought on the ship and to our muster station in a group of about 30 others...and another 10 minutes we were in top sail with prosecco and 10 more our room was ready 

Dani is YC Director...he seems very kind and helpful as I have already had several interactions with him.

No luggage yet.

lunch on the pool deck was simple but nice. Kevin is a great server, but he's going home in three weeks.  I asked for some chili flakes and that immediately launched us into a spirited conversation about his food at home.

I recommend the white pea soup. Have already had several wonderful interactions with crew.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, MonsterJoe said:

DD2 is napping while DW and DS are out exploring.

We opted to just get on the ship.

Checking was a breeze. Terminal C was 8 minutes from our hotel. The YC tent is aft, just like YC, so when you loop around in the street, it is immediately on the right after the stop sign. Don't miss it.

They whisked everyone but me through security while I parked at the C garage, which is about 100 yards from the tent.

The same man, Jean Juil, who told us what to do was waiting for me to come back so he whisked me through security too and into the yc waiting area where I was reunited with my family after a grueling 10 minutes apart. 🙂

We were done in there in under 5 minutes and brought on the ship and to our muster station in a group of about 30 others...and another 10 minutes we were in top sail with prosecco and 10 more our rook was ready 

Dani is YC Director...he seems very kind and helpful as I have already had several interactions with him.

No luggage yet.

lunch on the pool deck was simple but nice. Kevin is a great server, but he's going home in three weeks.  I asked for some chili flakes and that immediately launched ys into a spirited conversation about his food at home.

I recommend the white pea soup. Have already had several wonderful interactions with crew.

I'm so jealous!

3 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

lunch on the pool deck was simple but nice

You skipped the grilled tournedos in the YC restaurant? We love those on day 1 for lunch. And I love the octopus soup. (I think the hamachi and avocado carpaccio has a cult-type following on CC as well.)

• Like 2