Pride of America Hilo Rental Car?

JMQRSQ

We are cruising Pride of America in February and I am wondering about getting a rental car when we are in Hilo.  We are there from 8am to 6pm and the ship offers an 8 1/2 hour excursion that offers most of what we want to see, but not all.  I am wondering if anyone has experience renting a car.  Is it easy to do?  Would we have enough time to rent car and explore and get back to ship?  It makes me nervous to rent a car and not stay with an excursion...

1 hour ago, JMQRSQ said:

We are cruising Pride of America in February and I am wondering about getting a rental car when we are in Hilo.  We are there from 8am to 6pm and the ship offers an 8 1/2 hour excursion that offers most of what we want to see, but not all.  I am wondering if anyone has experience renting a car.  Is it easy to do?  Would we have enough time to rent car and explore and get back to ship?  It makes me nervous to rent a car and not stay with an excursion...

Hello @JMQRSQ and welcome to the Cruise Critic website and our message boards!

Thank you for your first new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Ports of Call - Hawaii forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live in the area or have sailed there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on our various forums, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry message to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention the cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your inquiry message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

Be sure to check if there is an existing Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your specific cruise line, ship and sail date. If not, feel free to start one! And don't worry about any responsibilities in starting a Roll Call thread. Roll Calls belong to everyone; there is no designated leader or owner. It does not matter who started the thread. Roll Calls are for Cruise Critic members on the same cruise. They get to know one another online before their cruise so there will be all kinds of discussion in the Roll Call thread for their cruise!

Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

The specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that may have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted share requests that may interest you. 

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads on the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. As with other forums on our boards, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are soooo glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

We rented from Enterprise at Hilo Airport. We got off the ship at 8 am, grabbed the first taxi from the line of waiting taxis (I think I gave him $17) and got to the Enterprise office in about 10 minutes. We got the car, drove to Volcanoes, with a stop at a 7-11 for some lunch musubis to eat at the park. (I brought a soft cooler along).

You do not have enough time to see the entire island, but we were at Volcanoes National Park by 9:15 am. We had the annual National Parks Pass, so entering was fast. I had us do the park in sort of reverse: Lava Tube first, the Kīlauea Iki Overlook, then Devastation Trail, then back to the main visitor center and the steam vents and Cauldera overlook trails. We didn't do the Chain of Craters road because I wasn't sure I can go that long without access to a restroom.

We drove back to the airport, dropped off the car, walked across the roadway to the Ride Share pick up and called a Lyft. Back to the ship by 4 pm.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 8:58 PM, JMQRSQ said:

We did this in May, as @Ellis1138 mentioned get off the ship 1st thing and get to the airport to rent a car, we used Uber to Alamo at the airport, very easy. You can spend all day in the park, forget about the rest of the island, if you drive it yourself get a guide app, like Guide-along. We had our 3 park park pass from our Maui stop and used it for Volcano park as well. We drove all the way down the chain of craters road to the sea arch and back, you have time. We did a few short hikes as well, and a number of "stops" suggested by the Guide-along app, but you've got to mind the time. The short trail from the Kīlauea Iki Overlook to the Thurston Lava tube was fairly easy and gave great views of the Kīlauea Iki crater, ironically the overlook itself has crappy views, so walk up the trail a bit, and given the parking squeeze at the Lava tube, you might be better off doing the hike all the way to the lava tube, I think it was about a mile round-trip. BTW the Lava tube is a wet dark cave, we didn't find it all that special.

As a side note, I too was concerned about renting a car with a 1 day stop in Hilo, in fact, our plan was to take a volcano ship excursion, but as we continued planning, we got more confident in the rental process (thanks CC boards) and ended up renting a car at each port (except Kona), you will not be the only cruise passengers renting a car. Keep in mind that missing a ship is usually a pretty big deal, but for the Hilo stop, you just need to get to Kona on the other side of the island to rejoin the ship, no plane flights, no customs, etc.

Also check the park status before you go, there were plans for construction at the visitor center, we didn't pay attention because it was after our visit.

Edited by DCwom
  • Like 1

Addendum to missing the ship at Hilo: If the PoA doesn't make Kona (too windy to tender or something), you will then need to fly to Kauai. But yeah, of all the cruises to miss all aboard, this is the easiest one to catch up to.

Happy to see this thread because we are on POA soon and planned to rent a car in Hilo to see Volcano National Park. Last time in Hilo in 2022 we did a ship excursion and it was very disappointing as well as expensive. We have  the GuideAlong app and look forward to that. One word of advice, get the collision damage waiver. I had an accident in a rental car this summer without it and it was a big hassle with my auto insurance company and credit card company. Well worth the extra money.

Have you looked at Turo Car Rental?  Turo brings the car to you so you do not have to take a taxi or shuttle to a rental office.  I know they rent in Hilo so maybe take a look.  Cherie  

• 2 weeks later...

Rented car in Hilo today from Hertz at airport. Off ship around 8:10, taxis waiting at terminal. $25 ride to car pick up, nice lady driver, gave us her phone number for end of day pick up. Drove to Volcano NP arrived around 10:00. Not much traffic, easy drive. Stopped at visitor center and talked to intern about our itinerary, very helpful. Parked at Kilauea Ike overlook, spaces available when we got there, pretty competitive later in day. Did the Kilauea Ike trail through crater. Very unique, fantastic hike. Also went through Nahuku lava tube. Also very unique and short detour off trail. Total hike around 4 miles. Stopped along way for many pictures so took close to 3 hours. Went to Volcano House on way out and hit gift shop and took in fantastic view of Kilauea caldera. Wonderful day. Left around 2:45 and was back at car rental by 3:45, had to stop for gas. Called taxi driver and she picked up around 4:00, had us back to port by 4:30. Altogether a wonderful day. Weather was great. Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 11:06 PM, philv said:

Rented car in Hilo today from Hertz at airport. Off ship around 8:10, taxis waiting at terminal. $25 ride to car pick up, nice lady driver, gave us her phone number for end of day pick up. Drove to Volcano NP arrived around 10:00. Not much traffic, easy drive. Stopped at visitor center and talked to intern about our itinerary, very helpful. Parked at Kilauea Ike overlook, spaces available when we got there, pretty competitive later in day. Did the Kilauea Ike trail through crater. Very unique, fantastic hike. Also went through Nahuku lava tube. Also very unique and short detour off trail. Total hike around 4 miles. Stopped along way for many pictures so took close to 3 hours. Went to Volcano House on way out and hit gift shop and took in fantastic view of Kilauea caldera. Wonderful day. Left around 2:45 and was back at car rental by 3:45, had to stop for gas. Called taxi driver and she picked up around 4:00, had us back to port by 4:30. Altogether a wonderful day. Weather was great. Life is good.

Sounds like a great day!  Did you notice if any of the rental car companies had shuttles to take you back and forth from the pier?  Or are taxi's our only option now?

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Just did the Hilo rental from Hertz this past week. Had almost the same experience as philv  above. It was very easy to do and would recommend that you do it without having to worry.

Did you take a taxi / uber from the port to the rental pick up?  Or did you take the Hertz shuttle (if it was offered)?

Hertz doesn’t offer a shuttle. Some of the others do but I’m not sure which ones.

Taxis were waiting outside on the pier and we had no problem getting one for either direction. Cost was about $20 plus tip for each direction. We were two couples and so split all of the costs.