Are P&O enforcing the new alcohol rules?

Bendown

I am due to take a med cruise and was wondering how the new rules are being implemented. Are the scanners being used onboard the ship at each port? I have no wish to bring spirits onboard but like to pick up a few local beers to drink on the balcony. I don’t feel the slightest guilt as it will not cost P&O a penny as I would not order a pint from room service. I find the outside bars have poor choice and poor service so prefer to escape to our balcony.

please do not put me into verbal stocks for my heinous crime. Thanks for any information given.

• Haha 1

Scanners are used at every port - either in terminal (in which case it’s on you to self declare on ship) or at the top of the gangway in which case depends on crew member.

You get them back if they are confiscated so worst case you have some nice local beers back home.

Lots of booze was confiscated on our recent azura trip. You can bring soft drinks on board, we did, but a few people around us when bording had booze taken at the scanner point, (one women with a really strong irish acent was livid,loud and even i struggled to.understand her)..... mostly the scanners on the ship rather than at the terminals. It was all returned, i believe, the night before disembarkation. 

We did a med cruise earlier this year on Arvia and, from memory, at every port bags were scanned in the terminal and not when you got back on the ship.  So unless you declared it to the ship staff they would have no idea what was in your bag!

If, however, you are on Azura as familycruiseruk says things may be different.

When you disembark at each port try and have a look if bags are x-rayed in the terminal - if they are you'll be ok!

I am on the Arvia so it appears nothing has changed. I wondered if P&O would start scanning more onboard. Where P&O are losing money is the people going out in the evening with drinks from their cabin. I have noticed this a lot on my recent cruises. Also the everlasting bottle of wine where people buy one bottle from the restaurant refill it and take it out again for the remainder of the cruise.

I think that I might ask the bar staff if they can leave the caps on a couple of bottles of beer for my fridge. I certainly have no problem with the price of beer onboard but think the wine is marked up far too much so we now spend a few hundred less than we used to. Thank you P&O for saving me money 😀

We've just come back from a week on Iona and as far as I'm aware our hand luggage bag wasn't checked.  It had quite a lot of liquid in it; beer, tonic, cola, squash etc.

As soon as we arrived in the cabin I ordered a litre of Bombay Sapphire on room service for £28 but no £2.50 delivery charge.

I reckon we could have taken it on board.  But, our steward delivered ice and lemon daily at 4pm and we left the gin on the counter without any guilt!!!

15 hours ago, Derek5001 said:

as far as I'm aware our hand luggage bag wasn't checked.

Are you saying that at no point during embarkation, or when re-boarding the ship, that your hand luggage did not go through a scanner?

51 minutes ago, david63 said:

Are you saying that at no point during embarkation, or when re-boarding the ship, that your hand luggage did not go through a scanner?

It was scanned, but not opened to see what the, mainly liquid, contents were.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:00 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Lots of booze was confiscated on our recent azura trip. You can bring soft drinks on board, we did, but a few people around us when bording had booze taken at the scanner point, (one women with a really strong irish acent was livid,loud and even i struggled to.understand her)..... mostly the scanners on the ship rather than at the terminals. It was all returned, i believe, the night before disembarkation. 

I wonder if you can take non alcoholic  bottles on board like "wine"  "beers" Ive recently been put on strong meds and I cant drink alcohol Im not bothered really just dont want to drink diet pepsi all the time lol  I saw they have a few alcohol free Gin's ( wonder what they taste like?) and a lager on their drinks menus and I quite like their mocktails.  

47 minutes ago, Libby3723 said:

I wonder if you can take non alcoholic  bottles on board like "wine"  "beers" Ive recently been put on strong meds and I cant drink alcohol Im not bothered really just dont want to drink diet pepsi all the time lol  I saw they have a few alcohol free Gin's ( wonder what they taste like?) and a lager on their drinks menus and I quite like their mocktails.  

Obviously I meant to consume in your cabin pre dinner. 

14 hours ago, david63 said:

Non alcoholic drinks are still legally classified in the UK as alcohol as the are 0%. Whether P&O treat them as such is questionable.

I didnt know this thank you for your reply.