What to do in Norfolk, VA?

Derbie

My DH and I are open to suggestions on the best sights to visit in Norfolk. I checked the Princess excursion section on their page, but there are only a handful of choices.  All of them (except for one) are approximately $225 pp. I don't mind paying this, if it is truly a do not miss excursion.  We did consider renting a vehicle and heading out to another nearby town.  I will gladly await your great advise! 

34 minutes ago, Derbie said:

My DH and I are open to suggestions on the best sights to visit in Norfolk. I checked the Princess excursion section on their page, but there are only a handful of choices.  All of them (except for one) are approximately $225 pp. I don't mind paying this, if it is truly a do not miss excursion.  We did consider renting a vehicle and heading out to another nearby town.  I will gladly await your great advise! 

Hello @Derbie

Thank you for your new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the North American Homeports - East Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that live in the area or have sailed from Norfolk frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

I appreciate the directive.  I did look at this forum several times, but it clearly shows east coast departures, so I thought there was a glitch with the system; since, we are not departing or arriving in this port by plane or car. 

Hopefully, we will get some advice.  Regards,

40 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I appreciate the directive.  I did look at this forum several times, but it clearly shows east coast departures, so I thought there was a glitch with the system; since, we are not departing or arriving in this port by plane or car. 

Hopefully, we will get some advice.  Regards,

Yes, but the forum title also has the following: Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia 

Those ports have the most information from members regarding the best sights to visit in this forum.

I used this forum's Search feature for you and found the following 4 pages of posts by fellow Cruise Critic members where Norfolk is mentioned: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Norfolk&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=317&updated_after=any&sortby=newest

And hopefully, something in them will be helpful to you! 🤞

• Like 1

We visited Norfolk in June.  We took a taxi over to Virginia Beach and did a Dolphin Watching with Rudee Tours.  It was a great trip, saw lots of whales.  Afterwards we walked along the beachfront, had lunch at a cafe and then called a taxi to go back to the ship.

What are your interests?

If you want a beach day, go to Virginia Beach. If you’re into American history, the Colonial Triangle of Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown isn’t far (it isn’t necessarily close either…). If you’re interested in Naval history, the USS Wisconsin is at the Nauticus. There are tours up the James and Elizabeth Rivers that sail by the fleet in port. 

I think a lot of people, including me, visit the Colonial Triangle and Virginia Beach and just drive through Hampton Roads and Norfolk. What excursions are you looking at?

On 8/16/2024 at 12:50 PM, Sarnia 432 said:

We visited Norfolk in June.  We took a taxi over to Virginia Beach and did a Dolphin Watching with Rudee Tours.  It was a great trip, saw lots of whales.  Afterwards we walked along the beachfront, had lunch at a cafe and then called a taxi to go back to the ship.

Thank you.  I think we are wanting to do more of the land type of tours, etc.  

On 8/16/2024 at 7:36 PM, markeb said:

What are your interests?

If you want a beach day, go to Virginia Beach. If you’re into American history, the Colonial Triangle of Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown isn’t far (it isn’t necessarily close either…). If you’re interested in Naval history, the USS Wisconsin is at the Nauticus. There are tours up the James and Elizabeth Rivers that sail by the fleet in port. 

I think a lot of people, including me, visit the Colonial Triangle and Virginia Beach and just drive through Hampton Roads and Norfolk. What excursions are you looking at?

We are just now reviewing excursions.  We considered renting a vehicle, and just taking ourselves around the area.  We have a fairly long day in port.  I may review the Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown option.  I think my husband would like a tour of a big military ship, so we will see.  Many thanks for the directive!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few ideas if you wish to stay in Norfolk.  The USS Wisconsin is a great tour, you will see it parked next to the cruise ship.  You can tour the top deck and interior spaces, cabins, galley, etc.  And Nauticus itself is interesting.  There is a naval museum inside.  You can also hop on a Norfolk Naval base tour from the water. That boat docks next to the pier on the opposite side of the Wisconsin.
 If you’re a walker there is a lovely historical neighborhood along the riverfront beyond the Wisconsin. You will pass a statue of a sailor in crackerjacks and a tribute to local Medal of Honor recipients, then an Oriental garden and pagoda. Keep walking along the riverfront through a historical neighborhood, stopping for coffee or a local beer at Cure or Virginia Cheese shop for a gourmet snack and wine. From there you can walk across a walking bridge to the Chrysler museum.  The glass exhibit is outstanding along with everything else o. Display. It is a very short taxi ride back to port if your worn out

If you go in the opposite direction from the Wisconsin towards waterside you may find a few restaurants and a bar open but it is more an afternoon and evening place. Next to waterside is a relaxing park to escape the heat, or take a paddle boat ride to Portsmouth and back.  It takes about 15-20 min each way.  You may get off at North Landing/2nd stop and walk 7 minutes to Fish and Slips raw bar and restaurant. If you sit on the outside elevated deck you get a breeze and an awesome view of the Norfolk waterfront. 

• Like 1