Vista Suite Usable When Underway?

flviking

We are considering a Vista Suite for a Panama Canal cruise.  We're sure it would be awesome for the transit.  We are concerned it may not be very usable when underway either on a sea day or after port departure for a quiet beverage.  Any and all experiences will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

The issue of forward facing balconies is dependent on the wind over the deck.  You might get lucky and have a following wind, in which case, you might be able to enjoy the balcony.  However, you also could have a situation where the wind over the deck is in excess of 30 knots which would make the balcony unusable.   To quote Dirty Harry, "are you feeling lucky today?"

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I believe the only real question is if you can use it during the Canal transit. I believe the answer is yes, due to reduced ship speeds.

At Sea, whether having a tailwind or headway, you always have a headwind at the minimum equal to the ship’s speed. If that is 15-17 knots, it will blow around cushions and other lightweight furniture. If any forward wave action is included, use of the deck is impractical. I believe that after port departure, the staff ties up all deck furniture and removes the cushions to inside the Vista cabin.

I have attended sail away happy hours in a Vista cabin. As soon as we hit open water, the deck wasn’t usable and quickly tied down. While some of we men with major hair deficiency lasted a bit longer, the women were all quick to disappear inside once the ship accelerated. 😂

Edited by pinotlover
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

We always book the Vista Suite and the balcony is NOT usable 95% of the time when the ship is moving.  You do usually have time for a quick cocktail when sailing out of most ports - but that also depends on how close the port is to the open seas. And yes, the balcony furniture is always tied down at sail away time....although I "trained" my cabin attendants to come at the very last minute as that balcony is one of the reasons that we book that suite.  We have also been thrilled to be able to use it at sea a FEW times....but that was usually when we had been re-routed due to weather issues and were basically just putting around at sea at a low speed.  We still love the suite - but the fact that it is not usable when moving is one of the downsides.  The other is that at night you are instructed to keep the curtains drawn in order to not interfere with the bridge and their ability to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Balcony was not usable for us at all. Though we do love the suite. And we were instructed by the captain to have our curtains closed due to what the above post said re interference with the ships navigation. We had guest and they were all surprised. Oh well, still had a ton of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.  I was concerned the very limited usability of the balcony would be the case.  I very much use our balcony to relax on a sea day or in the evening so this would be a big miss for us.  Time to start stuffing the piggy bank for an owners suite.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 5:38 AM, flviking said:

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.  I was concerned the very limited usability of the balcony would be the case.  I very much use our balcony to relax on a sea day or in the evening so this would be a big miss for us.  Time to start stuffing the piggy bank for an owners suite.

Aren't the Oceania Suites aft?  They are cheaper than the Vista Suites and may suit your needs....I have just never seen the allure of that silly tiny room with an additional tv in it....might have been useful when we had to travel with young children....

4 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Aren't the Oceania Suites aft?  They are cheaper than the Vista Suites and may suit your needs....I have just never seen the allure of that silly tiny room with an additional tv in it....might have been useful when we had to travel with young children....

Only 2 are aft I think, they are on deck 11. Most of them are on deck 12 forward of the pool deck. 

19 hours ago, ORV said:

Only 2 are aft I think, they are on deck 11. Most of them are on deck 12 forward of the pool deck. 

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

Actually, only 2 Oceania suites face aft. The rest of the Oceania suites face port or starboard. 

Yes, I said that 19 hours ago. 

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2024 at 5:38 AM, flviking said:

You could try one of the aft Oceania Suites on deck 11 or…
My husband and I were in the aft corner PH1 with the wrap around deck on deck 7 on the Vista, Trieste to Rome, last summer and really enjoyed it.