Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

@mking8288 Cunard has Starlink and plenty more access points and the wifi is far better than what we had a few years ago. When I was on QM2 in Dec 2022, we couldn't even get a wifi signal in our room which was rather irritating. On complaining we were told that we could just use the internet in a public room. Very helpful when I wanted to browse social media at 3am while trying to resettle my little back to bed!

I've always taken the basic package so don't know exactly what sort of performance you'd get from the top package. It's quite possible that there are fewer passengers using the internet on Cunard so the total available bandwidth goes a bit further and you get a better experience than Starlink on a ship where every man and his dog is on TikTok or Facetime or streaming movies 24/7.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

@mking8288 Cunard has Starlink and plenty more access points and the wifi is far better than what we had a few years ago. When I was on QM2 in Dec 2022, we couldn't even get a wifi signal in our room which was rather irritating. On complaining we were told that we could just use the internet in a public room. Very helpful when I wanted to browse social media at 3am while trying to resettle my little back to bed!

I've always taken the basic package so don't know exactly what sort of performance you'd get from the top package. It's quite possible that there are fewer passengers using the internet on Cunard so the total available bandwidth goes a bit further and you get a better experience than Starlink on a ship where every man and his dog is on TikTok or Facetime or streaming movies 24/7.

I can report from the Alaska cruise that Cunard’s Starlink (both regular and streaming levels) work very well up there. Also, the ship is close to the coastline that we picked up our TMobile signal onboard more often than not. We used our World Club benefit to pay for internet usage. 

• Thanks 1

@mking8288 Safe travels to the Great White North

image.png.1d74b6c9ae6bcf0a43980e0982d03893.png

We are T-minus 23 hrs before arriving at Bean Town, planning on visiting your semi to keep current with my notes but the internet issues on the Gem and other Jewel class ships don't bode well for any surfing or posting.

Jim

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We are T-minus 23 hrs before arriving at Bean Town, planning on visiting your semi to keep current with my notes but the internet issues on the Gem and other Jewel class ships don't bode well for any surfing or posting.

Bon voyage Jim! Still hoping to hear from you on the Gem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@mking8288 We are T-minus 23 hrs before arriving at Bean Town ... 

Thanks Jim and you have a great B2B starting tomorrow, I will be looking for your notes first since we are 7 days out, should be at DENver airport now in 4 days, waiting to board our connecting flight.  

Cheers 🍻 🥂  One of the grandnephew gave us an update from Royal C, and passing along ...  Weather looks good and no early warnings on potential hurricanes in the Atlantic. 

Screenshot_20240822_092300.thumb.jpg.95f5e49f5a64759523d967732da7068a.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All the planning, advice & tips, ideas & suggestions are sincerely appreciated and welcomed.  Brother-in-law has a dark suit & dress shirt, got my dark blazer & dress pants together, ties in black (you do not need to know what we typically wear them for 😉)  as well as regular ones.  Amazon Prime 2 days delivery "rescue" too - bow tie added, and everyone will have the party mask for the gala / themed evening. 

Collage_2024-08-22_15_03_23.thumb.jpg.6e886dc147bcefae3202e2934bf90d3d.jpg

The girls got luggage tags printed at the office, in color (impressed, huh)  Ours, was, in B&W ... and while not everyone is Gung Ho about Amazon's reputation & standing, like FedEx and UPS (DHL in other parts of the world) in shipping services.  Had to return an item to Amazon via the UPS Store and while there, spotted the printing services, B&W and of course, in color.  Bingo - solution and problem solved.  Going to swing by the UPS store again, email the small print job to their account, pay & pickup ... done.  

On 8/18/2024 at 5:25 AM, exlondoner said:

... black and white will do for luggage labels ... easier for the crew ... colour coded for different areas of the ship ... 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

colour coded for different areas of the ship ... 

It makes sense for luggage tags to be color coded for the different areas of the ship. Of course NCL does not do this. As you know the colors are identified with the NCL ship...so helpful. 🤨

24 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

everyone will have the party mask for the gala / themed evening

I might need to borrow one of your masks for my Halloween cruise.

25 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

ties in black (you do not need to know what we typically wear them for 😉)

I know 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@dexddd  Hold on, I know you can't wait to see & hear how the beans are on the QE ... will get them for breakfast, from what I've read - they are different than the watery ones in a small cup onboard NCL.  

Screenshot_20240822_225109.thumb.jpg.8a2e71dff15c5d92aa36f05cfb29f852.jpg

@Sugar Magnolia  Except, remind me to get them (mail / drop-off ?? for you ... somewhere) either after we get back from YVR, either before we do our RC cruise - forgotten that we can OLCI at 45 days out & all done)   We'll Gmail each other later on, you aren't leaving for your 3 TA until mid/late October anyway - not surprised the Sky "dropped" to fill the remaining inventory. 

We used to have a Staple location near us to do the occasional color printing, didn't matter w NCL's tags but I can see, doing it for Cunard, not b/c of classy.  Rather easier for the crew & porters sorting them, and faster delivery onboard.  UPS Store nearby is just 2 doors from the 7-11 ... a quick run " ---- 2 birds with 1 stone" and get it laminated.  

Memo to self - either bring the micro-stapler along or Scotch tape to secure the tags, although the AirBnB SuperHost in the main house where we are staying probably have them.  Not going to put them on the bags until we get into YVR or else United will likely mis-route our bags into lost-and-found, hahaha. 

NCL'ers following this - we are free to bring bottled water, juice, soda, beer, wine & even hard liquor onboard ... in reasonable quantity & for personal "consumption" in the stateroom; and, restock from the port stops as needed.  That's a good policy ... creamers for coffee too.  First world problem, right.  Cunard'ers, I stand corrected if this is "incorrect" or improper (I don't think we got a lot of spare luggage space for it ... was just telling SIL that we can only fit so much in the minivan with 6 adults and luggage.) 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@Sugar Magnolia  Except, remind me to get them (mail / drop-off ?? for you ... somewhere) either after we get back from YVR, either before we do our RC cruise - forgotten that we can OLCI at 45 days out & all done)   We'll Gmail each other later on, you aren't leaving for your 3 TA until mid/late October anyway - not surprised the Sky "dropped" to fill the remaining inventory. 

That is so kind of you. I have decided to be the Invisible Woman this year for Halloween, so no need for the masks. But Gmail me anyway when you are back after your two cruises.

• Haha 2

@Cruise Liner Fan  slightly off-topics:  does this old, old picture of NY's West Side from 1965 of the cruise ships & ocean liners ... midtown West bring back memories for you (and others)  I remember the elevated West Side Hwy from the early 70's - growing up/living in the Bronx (wow) then - get on to the Cross Bronx Expy (I-95) and zip across & then downtown late night, to Canal Street & get to Chinatown/Little Italy for 3 AM late night food ... in 20 - 25 minutes flat, then drive home to sleep until noon or later. 

Line-Up-of-Ocean-Liners-Corbis-NYC1965.thumb.jpg.d928da629aa3555c5b74f3089ca36177.jpg

Both the QM2 and QE were docked at the "new" (look different) Pier 88/90 in 2010 for the first time after a TA crossing instead of docking Red Hook, Brooklyn (due to some sort of pier damages caused by a different ship using that East River pier.)  

I have a feeling we will either sail Cunard or Prince over in Red Hook, sooner than later - not if but when, maybe a question of whether it's a TA or not, east or west bound.  

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 11:08 AM, D&amp;N said:

The music/singing/dancing is quite good to watch and listen to as well. And shows what a wide range of things can be danced to a cover of The Best.

Eek! There’s some fancy dress and dance styles there!

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/21/2024 at 11:26 PM, Cruise Liner Fan said:

Is that ship the Titanic or is it her sister ship the Olympic?

Lego Titanic.  I actually built it myself surprisingly.  I have another new mib.

Also pictured is a MSC 'ME' diffuser just out of box so it always smells like being on a MSC ship.  That's a good thing.

Edited by dexddd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

@Cruise Liner Fan  slightly off-topics:  does this old, old picture of NY's West Side from 1965 of the cruise ships & ocean liners ... midtown West bring back memories for you (and others)  I remember the elevated West Side Hwy from the early 70's - growing up/living in the Bronx (wow) then - get on to the Cross Bronx Expy (I-95) and zip across & then downtown late night, to Canal Street & get to Chinatown/Little Italy for 3 AM late night food ... in 20 - 25 minutes flat, then drive home to sleep until noon or later. 

Line-Up-of-Ocean-Liners-Corbis-NYC1965.thumb.jpg.d928da629aa3555c5b74f3089ca36177.jpg

Both the QM2 and QE were docked at the "new" (look different) Pier 88/90 in 2010 for the first time after a TA crossing instead of docking Red Hook, Brooklyn (due to some sort of pier damages caused by a different ship using that East River pier.)  

I have a feeling we will either sail Cunard or Prince over in Red Hook, sooner than later - not if but when, maybe a question of whether it's a TA or not, east or west bound.  

Yeah, I think I see the Sun and Sky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This is how the Cunard Pier on West side looks now, an awesome elevated park. Also shown is the original arch where the Titanic survivors walked under after rescued by the Cunard Carpathia. 

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

As a little kid living in New Jersey as I do today, though in the 1960s I was living in West New York,N.J. across the Hudson River from Midtown Manhattan where there was a park overlooking the Hudson River where there was a view of the Passenger ship piers. I remember seeing one of the Italian Line ships either the Michaelangelo or the Raffaello docked there more than once and maybe also the 1st Queen Elisabeth. I also remember seeing the SS United States docked at the same piers and also the Holland America Line ship Rotterdam of 1959 docked in Hoboken,NJ once. My parents moved us out of West New York,NJ to where we live now in Northvale,NJ in 1972 when I was 12 going on 13. My father was also a longshoreman in which he had to help unload the cargo ships. He did work on the docks on the NJ side of the Hudson River in Weehawken where the United Fruit Company ships docked carrying bananas. Sometimes he did come home with some bananas.

• Like 2

@dexddd  Good "question" on what to do with the $$ "saved" on DSC - $4 p/p p/d x 2 x 10 = $80.  Sharon @The P hasn't seen this or (hi ...) she's going to suggest shoes for Susan, as long as there's room in the luggage for extras - see below - (enough for 2 pairs if stopping at Ibiza, Spain but this isn't a TA - already booked Barcelona next Fall, forgot the route stops #cough #cough)  For now, "savings" will offset paying for satellite WiFi by the day ... you know how frugal we are, especially that espresso & cappuccino 

20240823_010205.thumb.jpg.b2c31a977f3fa274dfb2aa27799183cb.jpg

Deciding what & how much to bring nearly done, men's dress shoes are heavy (13W) plus comfortable walking shoes, plus maybe a pair of lighter Cros before 6 PM and the monkey suit/tie/bow & masks for the gang. Got the weekend to tightly fit the compression packing cubes & zip everything together ... hoping to not use the smaller 20L backpack (sized to slip thru UA as a personal bag) - medium packing cube inside, including Station Zebra is darn heavy w the electronics, 2 battery pack, cables & adapters and the Sony notebook PC (decided to bring along & not go the Chromebook route this time)

Loading is down to a science with the 24" spinners, generally near 50 lbs / 23 kg depending on content.  Travelpro being used by DW and my eBags, both 22" expandable rollerboards will be heavy but UA sizer-compliant for flights (thankfully, no regional jets like those CRJ's - notorious for gate-checking.)   No room for souvenirs to bring home ... travel vest, going just for the extra pockets. 

Our packing style isn't packing light; not typical of some Cunarders.  Challenging when semi/formal wear or business/smart causal on the final checklist; plus dress shoes (that means, no room for gym shoes ... not when your feet is 13W).  

Definitely going use of free onboard self-service laundry, complimentary detergent and cloth dryer, especially when nearest one ... just down the hallway/corridor.  Will miss NCL's complimentary next day free laundry turnaround; but, will survive.  Don't have to ask for ironing - the compromise, call that a "win".  

P.S.  Samsonite hardshell 24" rollerboard (expandable but not used) coming in at 49 lbs / within 22 kg, just under the max permitted limit for UA checked in purposes.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@dexddd  Good "question" on what to do with the $$ "saved" on DSC - $4 p/p p/d x 2 x 10 = $80.  Sharon @The P hasn't seen this or (hi ...) she's going to suggest shoes for Susan, as long as there's room in the luggage for extras - see below - (enough for 2 pairs if stopping at Ibiza, Spain but this isn't a TA - already booked Barcelona next Fall, forgot the route stops #cough #cough)  For now, "savings" will offset paying for satellite WiFi by the day ... you know how frugal we are, especially that espresso & cappuccino 

Deciding what & how much to bring nearly done, men's dress shoes are heavy (13W) plus comfortable walking shoes, plus maybe a pair of lighter Cros before 6 PM and the monkey suit/tie/bow & masks for the gang. Got the weekend to tightly fit the compression packing cubes & zip everything together ... hoping to not use the smaller 20L backpack (sized to slip thru UA as a personal bag) - medium packing cube inside, including Station Zebra is darn heavy w the electronics, 2 battery pack, cables & adapters and the Sony notebook PC (decided to bring along & not go the Chromebook route this time)

Loading is down to a science with the 24" spinners, generally near 50 lbs / 23 kg depending on content.  Travelpro being used by DW and my eBags, both 22" expandable rollerboards will be heavy but UA sizer-compliant for flights (thankfully, no regional jets like those CRJ's - notorious for gate-checking.)   No room for souvenirs to bring home ... travel vest, going just for the extra pockets. 

Our packing style isn't packing light; not typical of some Cunarders.  Challenging when semi/formal wear or business/smart causal on the final checklist; plus dress shoes (that means, no room for gym shoes ... not when your feet is 13W).  

Definitely going use of free onboard self-service laundry, complimentary detergent and cloth dryer, especially when nearest one ... just down the hallway/corridor.  Will miss NCL's complimentary next day free laundry turnaround; but, will survive.  Don't have to ask for ironing - the compromise, call that a "win".  

P.S.  Samsonite hardshell 24" rollerboard (expandable but not used) coming in at 49 lbs / within 22 kg, just under the max permitted limit for UA checked in purposes.  

Henry, I'll remind you about shoes for Susan when you go to Barcelona. If I was traveling Cunard, I'd need TRUNKS!!! Have a great cruise!    Sharon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Bravo @mking8288! That looks quite efficient considering all the extra accoutrements you had to pack for your fancy galas.

For last year's B2B on the Jewel to Alaska, I packed all of my heavy equipment (camera, lenses, binoculars, laptop, etc) in my backpack and all of my clothes in my carry-on. At Canada Place I decided to check in my carry-on because the backpack alone was becoming unmanageable. Well, I did not see my carry-on for more than 24 hours as it was sitting somewhere else on the ship. And I have to say...I really didn't care. 😂

• Like 2

FYI post for mostly non-seasoned Cunarders, as a FAQ:

Owned CCL or Carnival shares for quite some time now and since Cunard is under Carnival's umbrella, finally get to claim $100 OBC or Onboard Credits to use & combined with other OBC that should be in the account.  Niece acquired NCL shares and put the OBC to good use with almost no coaching, and upon advice ... brought 100 shares & submitted the digital claim.  

StockPerks-OBC-Carnival-Cunard-2024Alaskacruise.thumb.jpg.a60228909d68811d42b05157e72700fe.jpg

Steps are different, no forms to download or sign, brokerage statement w sensitive info redacted to upload/email, acknowledged and wait - sometimes, needing to chased or hunt down its status over at Norwegian, once onboard desk claimed they have no record of the $250 OBC (15 days) - haha - thankfully, paper trail showed them otherwise but had to get Miami HQ involved.  

Cunard (Carnival, Princess, etc.) is simple, using the "Stockperks" App ... process is fairly simple to follow & the whole sign-off took about 4 working days, maybe 3.  Ditto for the niece.  Over the last 2 decades, our "tax-free" OBC from all the NCL cruises taken truly added up.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lodging / place of stay while we are in Vancouver, BC (Richmond, south of the city ... to be more precise) - notes & thoughts 

While AirBnB and similar ones have millions of faithful that swear by it ... due diligence and care has to be front & center ... it is not that different than booking international (or, highly-rated boutique ones) even after checking reviews on sites like TripAdvisors, Google & what not locally, to avoid unwarranted surprises.  Originally, we had a different booking for our stay in Richmond, BC ... flying into YVR with the numerous hotels near the airport - fortunately, AirBnB cancelled & gave us a full refund, and we're able to find & rebook with plenty of time. 

As of this moment, everything looks good.  This is the other unit that we will only be staying for 1 night, post-cruise (going from Canada Place back to Richmond) and the host has agreed to allow us to drop off / leave our luggage there after 11 AM if the unit isn't ready, or else, allow us to self check-in then instead of after 3 or 4 PM (using "Smart" lock system) 

Collage_2024-08-24_00_37_46.thumb.jpg.88f8f7f51d07c5f7e04c8e7444b6cc0f.jpg

This is near the elevated SkyTrain station, about 7 to 10 minutes walk and near the area's commercial area, shopping mall, restaurants & shops - super convenient & walkable, as we will not be renting a minivan.  Most likely, hail 2 taxis from the ship terminal and go direct vs. walking 2 blocks with all that luggage to ride the SkyTrain ... but, we might do that at some point during our short stay in the city.  Apple Pay & Google Pay/Wallet, etc. accepted so it's tap-n-go, nice.  

Collage_2024-08-24_00_43_33.thumb.jpg.3a949b3c61cd6533069bf1db3320b84c.jpg

The apartment or "flat" isn't exactly an oversized suite.  3 bedrooms w 2 full baths, a full kitchen, dining area, living area, TV set, WiFi and apparently, a printer to use (bonus) - a pretty good deal.  On-site (underground) parking included.  

What if's:  we do have a back-up if there is a last minute "change" due to unforeseen circumstances and/or cancellation by the host, etc.  Think positive.  Travel insurance - it should cover us ... Money saved to pay for those $$ shorex ... fingers crossed that the weather will give us a break.  Not spending $300 USD x 3 rooms to stay at a La Quinta Inn ... as we will be up early the next morning and wanted to be at YVR by 7 AM for our mid-morning flight.  No breakfast until we are air-side and fully checked in, LOL.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Sugar Magnolia  Thanks, taken notes & learning from others ... like you 😁 and to walk to Pier 88 for the TA with just carry-on and a backpack (which was likely still rather heavy)  

Color scheme - dark grey, navy blue and black, a bit of light grey & dark purple ... mix-n-match, 2 travel vest out-n-about and before 6 PM, that should be adequate.  No Bermuda shorts at all.  Barely making it and it isn't finalized, almost ... need to move the heavier non-liquid into the carry-on, too "light" and UA don't care about them being heavy as long as we can lift it overhead ourselves.  Going to check not 1 bag at the cruise terminal but all 3 bags, and keep that medium packing cube w. absolute essentials in the small (and heavy) day pack ... Airtags will alert as to their movement & whereabout.  Our lost/delay luggage coverage is up to $2,000 each after 24 hours ... not really worried, unlike a TA.  

T minus 2 days to "wheels up" from LGA ... you aren't going to pop out of nowhere, right.  Room service breakfast to look like this, OMG ... imagine that on NCL for a moment (well, maybe Haven class)  This is getting real, still got other loose ends to take care while and before we go away.  

Collage_2024-08-23_14_59_50.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1