Dinner Reservations

ggo85

We haven’t sailed on the new Crystal, though we had quite a few cruises on the “old” line.  There appear to be 3 options for non-room service dinner - is that correct?  Which require reservations?  Is it just one free reservation and then a fee after that? How much is the fee?

Would also welcome thoughts on whether the one(s) with fees are worth doing more than once. I recognize food is subjective, but open to opinions. 

There’s a fourth option, which will either be Tastes or the Beefbar, depending on when you go.

Plus once per cruise there might be a Vintage Room dinner, and there might be the Supper Club event. VR is pricey and people rave about it. The Supper Club is no additional charge and a nice, unique experience. It requires an advance reservation, which you can request at Osteria or the hotel desk, on embarkation day (Serenity only).

Indeed you will be able to make one Umi Uma and one Osteria d’Ovidio reservation prior to embarkation. Some people definitely think it’s worth going again, at (I think) $50 pp. On shorter cruises, additional reservations are often not readily available.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, May B said:

The Supper Club is no additional charge and a nice, unique experience. It requires an advance reservation, which you can request at Osteria or the hotel desk, on embarkation day (Serenity only).

When you say the "hotel desk" does that mean Reception?  Or the Hotel Manager of Serenity?

Many thanks,

49 minutes ago, loriva said:

When you say the "hotel desk" does that mean Reception?  Or the Hotel Manager of Serenity?

Many thanks,

Reception.

• Thanks 1

There are some additional options to reserved the Supper Club if it is offered on your cruise. This includes asking the butler to make the reservation for you or seeing the Restaurant Manager.

Keith

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, May B said:

There’s a fourth option, which will either be Tastes or the Beefbar, depending on when you go.

Plus once per cruise there might be a Vintage Room dinner, and there might be the Supper Club event. VR is pricey and people rave about it. The Supper Club is no additional charge and a nice, unique experience. It requires an advance reservation, which you can request at Osteria or the hotel desk, on embarkation day (Serenity only).

Indeed you will be able to make one Umi Uma and one Osteria d’Ovidio reservation prior to embarkation. Some people definitely think it’s worth going again, at (I think) $50 pp. On shorter cruises, additional reservations are often not readily available.

I was not allowed to make a reservation in Osteria once I had made one in Uni Uma. So I only have one res for each of our 2 legs.

31 minutes ago, Txcotn said:

I was not allowed to make a reservation in Osteria once I had made one in Uni Uma. So I only have one res for each of our 2 legs.

You can make one reservation for Osteria and one for Umi Uma for each of your two legs.

If the system is not allowing you to do this either you or your TA can contact on board guest services for them to make them for you.

Keith

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You can make one reservation for Osteria and one for Umi Uma for each of your two legs.

If the system is not allowing you to do this either you or your TA can contact on board guest services for them to make them for you.

Keith

We’re on for 20 days, so what would be our allowance? And is there any chance of booking Osteria twice if we don’t want to go to Umi Uma?

2 minutes ago, DrTee said:

We’re on for 20 days, so what would be our allowance? And is there any chance of booking Osteria twice if we don’t want to go to Umi Uma?

If it is one long cruise it would be 2 inclusive reservations per restaurant which you can make one each ahead of time. If two back to back cruises 20 at each but you could make all of them ahead of time.

If you want to dine at Osteria twice instead of one each once on board you can ask if there is availability at Osteria for the two in lieu of Umi Uma.

Keith

OBGS was a bust, I think they misunderstood and called out my ONE reservation on each leg so thus no more for me! (Kinda like the soup ***😁). So I contacted my TA who had it all settled within the hour! NC still doesn't have things up to snuff in the home office.🙄

Many will not agree with me but Umi and Osteria once per cruise is enough. Their menus are unchanging. 
Waterside is our favorite and menus always have something new and sometimes exciting. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Txcotn said:

OBGS was a bust, I think they misunderstood and called out my ONE reservation on each leg so thus no more for me! (Kinda like the soup ***😁). So I contacted my TA who had it all settled within the hour! NC still doesn't have things up to snuff in the home office.🙄

I actually think that on board guest services is quite good.  

I needed their help even on the first two cruises last year to create reservations at Tastes for four people rather than two and it worked well.  Is it perfect? No.  Who is.

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Many will not agree with me but Umi and Osteria once per cruise is enough. Their menus are unchanging. 
Waterside is our favorite and menus always have something new and sometimes exciting. 

We are ones who view them as special so we don't go too often. If we did, they would not be special.

We tend to adjust this based on the length of the cruise. For example, on the cruise that is just wrapping up with 8 nights one time at each specialty restaurant and at Tastes was fine. If this was a 18 day cruise we would only go once to Tastes but we might go to one or both of the specialty restaurants one additional time.

Although the menu does not change there is a sufficient number of items for us to choose from that we could dine at both and other than the sushi/sashimi at Umi Uma not repeat items.

As I often say choice is good. There are plenty of dining options and each person can easily decide what works best for them.

For sure no one will starve on a Crystal Cruise.  🤣

Keith

• Like 4

We are looking forward to the just announced Michelin chefs coming soon to Osteria. Hopefully there will be more diversity. In the meantime no one should feel deprived if they wind up in Waterside every evening. And let’s not forget the beautiful breakfasts there. Nothing beats a Waterside French toast or waffle with all the condiments. White tablecloth, seat by the window. Ahh. Paradise. 

• Like 7

Personally, I hope they don't take the Osteria d'Ovidio concept too far from it's roots...  I LOVE the idea of a modernist Italian restaurant onboard -- that's something I can't get (OR easily make) at home, and something that excites me 10x more in concept than something like the old Prego (in any of its iterations).  Just my view.

Vince

• Like 11

Exciting news for Osteria.  We enjoyed our dinner in July and are dining first night onboard in September.  We love that Crystal is always innovating. The variety in all the dining venues is incredible.  I am always grateful when menus are posted!  Can’t wait to be back on Serenity!

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I find the menu ordinary. Pasta not hand rolled and sauces bland. Certainly would not rate a Michelin star. But I live in Manhattan, home of Italian cuisine. 

Yep, I wasn’t talking about the menu at all, they can change that all they want (and continuously do)…. I didn’t try any pastas so I can’t comment on them, but none of the sauces I had with any courses were bland, thankfully.  YMMV though for sure.

Being from a large Italian family though, I AM shocked to learn at my advanced age that the home of Italian cuisine is Manhattan.  😆 

Vince

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I find the menu ordinary. Pasta not hand rolled and sauces bland. Certainly would not rate a Michelin star. But I live in Manhattan, home of Italian cuisine. 

Oh, that's great satire.  My hat's off for that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is there any update on just when the Serenity will be converting to the Beefbar?  Sail in November this year and was hoping to experience the new restaurant.  When checking out the options to make reservations one still finds Tastes as an option and no mention of Beefbar. 

59 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

Is there any update on just when the Serenity will be converting to the Beefbar?  Sail in November this year and was hoping to experience the new restaurant.  When checking out the options to make reservations one still finds Tastes as an option and no mention of Beefbar. 

It doesn't look like they have a timeline that's ready for public consumption yet... Their most recent press release on dining still said something to the effect of "later this year" re: Beefbar.  I defer to anyone with inside knowledge of tentative dates though.

Vince

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

I've heard time frames mentioned but I don't want to get ahead of Crystal when they announce it and better to wait for them because things can always change or I could have misinformation.

I would make the Tastes reservations and if it convert by Beefbar by then they would convert your reservation to the new dining venue.

Keith

• Like 2