Comments please……..

suech1970

On 8/30/2024 at 11:18 AM, 555 said:

Well that's what's so great about having a choice in how you dress on a vacation. No one is forced into pleasing the other group.  

I'm still not sure why Princess took so long to convert when all the other cruise lines do so years ago.

Enjoy.

Princess dropped the formal dress requirement about the same time Celebrity did. I have not bothered with a jacket in the MDE on Princess in more than 12 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRLD said:

Princess dropped the formal dress requirement about the same time Celebrity did. I have not bothered with a jacket in the MDE on Princess in more than 12 years. 

Princess has only recently relaxed their dress code while I believe Celebrity did so a number of years back. (not quite sure)

Either way, Princess hasn't required a jacket in a very long time. It been over 20 years since I retired mine to the back of the closet and never considered it again for anything.

I find light jackets eminently practical when on the move whether it be on train, bus or cruise. They have  pockets for tissues, pens, tablets, money, phone, cards, keys and even some of DW's bits.  Light and airy and can even double as smart.  So much better than trouser/shorts pockets for everything.

On 9/2/2024 at 4:38 AM, 555 said:

Princess has only recently relaxed their dress code while I believe Celebrity did so a number of years back. (not quite sure)

Either way, Princess hasn't required a jacket in a very long time. It been over 20 years since I retired mine to the back of the closet and never considered it again for anything.

This depends on how you look at it.  PCL has not actually relaxed their "dress code" (it is actually a section entitled "Clothing Recommendations") at all if you go by the written word.  Unofficially, the accepted clothing has been changed for years now - I just couldn't say exactly when.  I would say that the acceptance of shorts has been much more recent than the expectation of full suits and so forth, but I couldn't pin it down other than likely post-pandemic restart.  Prior to that, men could expect to be sent back to the cabin to change into pants, but women were never turned away no matter how short the dress or skirt AFAIK.  IIRC, the clothing recommendations for women did not include slacks/pants until more recent years.

No judgment or position here - just noting historical fact.  Also, IMO, the reason the clothing discussions still persist is because PCL has not changed documentation to match the reality of the situation on the ships.  The reality is that both Formal and Smart Casual wear are acceptable in all venues on all nights.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This depends on how you look at it.  PCL has not actually relaxed their "dress code" (it is actually a section entitled "Clothing Recommendations") at all if you go by the written word.  Unofficially, the accepted clothing has been changed for years now - I just couldn't say exactly when.  I would say that the acceptance of shorts has been much more recent than the expectation of full suits and so forth, but I couldn't pin it down other than likely post-pandemic restart.  Prior to that, men could expect to be sent back to the cabin to change into pants, but women were never turned away no matter how short the dress or skirt AFAIK.  IIRC, the clothing recommendations for women did not include slacks/pants until more recent years.

No judgment or position here - just noting historical fact.  Also, IMO, the reason the clothing discussions still persist is because PCL has not changed documentation to match the reality of the situation on the ships.  The reality is that both Formal and Smart Casual wear are acceptable in all venues on all nights.

All very true.

I haven't worn a jacket since I can't remember when, even when they did specify that it was required. Maybe that's why they did relax things. To many arguments.