PG QE Deck 4. Any problems.

buchanan101

Looking at an Alaska cruise and deck 4 is way cheaper for PG than upper PGs. I know Deck 3 is a main public area but it doesn’t seem to be areas that’d be particularly noisy. 

Thoughts?

Also this cruise says “free cabin upgrade” but it doesn’t give you a QG if you buy a PG. I assume it means that PGs are supposedly priced as BCs. It’s £5.3k for 10 nights which does seem cheap for a PG but expensive for a BC

$820 OBC which is nice…

The only downside I experienced was a little smell of smoke from the prom deck. It was only very occasionally though so I think it was from rogue smokers not being where they should have been.

• Thanks 1

I love Four Deck P2s... you get a deeper sunnier balcony. But... they can be noisy first thing in port days  as the gantry thingy for the gangway which extends out from the hull is right under Four Deck (especially if you have a cabin close to the midships stairtower).  It's not more than four mins. but you sure can hear (and feel) it being deployed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just to clarify a bit, it's not just the PG suites on deck 4 which are cheaper. It's all the P2 suites on decks 4, 5 and 6 which are cheaper than the P1 suites on decks 7 and 8.

I have to say at this point, I have no real experience pricing PG suites. But I will say I was a bit surprised to see the markup to go from P2 to P1 on 2025 QE Alaska cruises. I've spot-checked a few of them and the markup I'm seeing is in the range of 25% to 35%. The cruise you are looking at is probably the one I found toward the upper end of that range. The markup from P2 to P1 I'm seeing on QE Australia and Caribbean itineraries is more like 10% tops.

Regarding the "Complimentary stateroom upgrade" promotion, the Terms and Conditions are as you surmised. They state "To redeem, book a Club Balcony stateroom (grade A2) and you’ll pay the same price as a middle grade Balcony stateroom (grade BB) or book a Princess Grill Suite (grade P2) and the price will be the same as a Club Balcony stateroom (grade A1) or book a Queens Grill Suite (grade Q6) and the price will be the same as a Princess Grill Suite (grade P1)."

I suspect that "Complimentary stateroom upgrade" promotion might have something to do with the disparity we are seeing between P1 and P2 prices on the 2025 Alaska cruises (where that promotion applies) compared to the other cruises I looked at (where that promotion does not apply). They may have raised the prices of the P1 suites relative to P2 suites on the 2025 Alaska cruises in order to facilitate offering Q6 suites for the price of P1 suites.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

We had no issues with our PG cabin on Deck 4.  As "WantedonVoyage" said the balconies are bigger.  All PG cabins are midships, no matter what deck.  We found ours to be very quiet - no noise from the deck above or below. 

Ah yes. It’s 4,5,6. And there’s very little take up. And almost none on 7 and 8 

The 8th Sept cruise, which is cheaper as late season and I’m looking at it as it’s 10 night rather  than the 7 day that follows ending the season. Go all the way to Seattle and all the way from Seattle to Alaska and might as well do it properly

£2669pp on 4,5,6. £3599pp for 7,8. 34.8% uplift, way higher than any P2>P1 elsewhere. 

So if I do go… deck 4,5 or 6? 

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

The 8th Sept cruise, which is cheaper as late season and I’m looking at it as it’s 10 night rather  than the 7 day that follows ending the season. Go all the way to Seattle and all the way from Seattle to Alaska and might as well do it properly

£2669pp on 4,5,6. £3599pp for 7,8. 34.8% uplift, way higher than any P2>P1 elsewhere. 

This premium is probably for higher decks with better views of Alaska cruising by. But that’s a steep premium. The views from the Three Deck Prom Deck were just as good got our seven Deck Q4. Old school way of identifying decks…

13 minutes ago, NE John said:

This premium is probably for higher decks with better views of Alaska cruising by. But that’s a steep premium. The views from the Three Deck Prom Deck were just as good got our seven Deck Q4. Old school way of identifying decks…

Deck 6 to 7 doesn’t get you a 35% better view. 

It’s because P2 are priced as BC (supposed though I don’t fully believe that) and  P1 are priced as P1 as @bluemarble says. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Further pricing details for the 8th September 2025 10-night QE Alaska cruise to show the "Complimentary stateroom upgrade" promotion in action. These prices are per person, double occupancy from the Cunard UK website.

Balcony BB/BA = £1,959

Club Balcony A2 = £1,959

Club Balcony A1 = £2,669 (uplift from A2 = 36%)

Princess P2 = £2,669

Princess P1 = £3,599 (uplift from P2 = 35%)

Queens Q6 = £3,599

Queens Q5 = £4,199 (uplift from Q6 = 17%)

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Further pricing details for the 8th September 2025 10-night QE Alaska cruise to show the "Complimentary stateroom upgrade" promotion in action. These prices are per person, double occupancy from the Cunard UK website.

Balcony BB/BA = £1,959

Club Balcony A2 = £1,959

Club Balcony A1 = £2,669 (uplift from A2 = 36%)

Princess P2 = £2,669

Princess P1 = £3,599 (uplift from P2 = 35%)

Queens Q6 = £3,599

Queens Q5 = £4,199 (uplift from Q6 = 17%)

And still bookings are poor. At least looking at PGs. Is it worth the £1400 cabin uplift from BC A2? The usual Cunard question…

My TA is offering 5% off as usual. Just rearranging the OHs shifts…

Or 3 weeks earlier for £400 more. Better weather but August travelling.. holiday season. Usually like to go a bit off peak..

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 5:20 PM, buchanan101 said:

Those are great prices. I just checked the lowest US price and it is considerably higher than the offer that you have. 
If you can get your PG on decks 5 or 6, I would suggest that you do that. 
We have always been on Deck 4 PG, but the last few times we did experience a lot of noise when the ship either dropped anchor or docked. The balcony is much bigger on deck 4. 
We will be in a Q6 8180 for the cruise. Look forward to meeting you in the Grills lounge. 
We are using this cruise as a preamble to the next one which is 28 days back to Miami. We have a home in Florida and one in Indiana. 
And oddly, the US sites, at least the retail ones that I have access to, seem to be selling well. BUT, the cabins might be in the hands of travel agencies. 
I hope that I see a drop in my price. My 28 day one dropped earlier in the summer. This one does not seem to want to for me at this point. 

Edited by bananavan

@bananavan very few PG are showing as sold on any deck, so it’ll be which deck. Larger balcony sounds good

its basically a 10 day cruise for the price of 7.  It’s the same price as the QA fjord one we’ve just done and the QM2 fall New England 2026 we have booked. 

• Like 1