(Maybe) somewhat live from the Queen Victoria, Trieste to Barcelona

carlmm

Toulon two days later required the usage of a shuttle boat from the ships pier to the city across the bay. This was well organized, maybe just 100 Meeres to walk, and complimentary.

Toulon may have been the least exciting of the ports for tourists but it has the flair of a friendly southern France town where it might be quite enjoyable to live if you part of the local community.

20240905_151817.jpg

20240905_142602.jpg

20240905_135604.jpg

20240905_134848.jpg

20240905_130706.jpg

20240905_122639.jpg

20240905_121121.jpg

20240905_115254.jpg

• Like 2

Lunch in the Britannia today did not find many guests but was good and served by friendly waiters. 

The signage outside of the dinning room just emphasizes one aspect of why I will stick with traditional fixed dinning.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Any time dining"... as long as it's their time, it's all good!

No thanks.

We disliked "open dining" on Oceania.... it was the old "make yourself comfortable at the bar" and the beeper like in some clinic.  

The old ways are invariably best.  Set sitting, table and stewards.  Not like booking a dentist appointment every single night. And not even magazines in the waiting room. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

New lows this week include

- a man in jeans and just shirt served on gala night, several more without jacket and tie, on smart attire night even with baseball hat

- a man in beige trousers and a loose beige short sleeved shirt on the dance floor in the Queens room on gala night

- a couple bragging that they wear just very casual everywhere, maybe besides the restaurant, because nobody enforces  the dress code anyway

- a women peeling a man's skin in the hot tub 

Highlights include:

- overall almost universal adherence to the dress code in the restaurant and the Commodore club on gala night

- lovely, non-crowded CWC and Senior Officers parties with talkative officers

- an interesting and well orchestrated lunch and learn event in the Veranda

- attentive stewards and waiters who remember one

- a lovely matinee piano and cello concert

20240906_154058.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carl I feel fortunate to have missed your lows but concur fully on the highs you mentioned.

And certainly agree that there is no substitute for traditional dining, the simplicity and continuity are key.

Enjoy the rest of the voyage!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 8:11 PM, Planning to cruise said:

I am pleased to see that there was a matinee classical concert.  We were told on Anne that "all that has gone", to our concern and disappointment.  

Yes, if you count Ludovico Enaudi as classical music.

It was performed by onboard musicians, not any specific classical music artist like there used to be in the past.

Nevertheless, it was nice.

I might fill in some gaps later (or not 😉) but now I am on my way home. Thus I report about the debarkation two days ago:

Well done. One's hand luggage can remain in the cabin while one has breakfast and until one needs/wants to leave. Thus one can use the private bath room  for a last time, too.

No queues to leave.

My suitcases were patiently waiting. Friendly help was available when assistance was needed.

Out of Cunard's control were the long, and I mean long, queues for taxis.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 4

On 9/7/2024 at 7:11 PM, Planning to cruise said:

I am pleased to see that there was a matinee classical concert.  We were told on Anne that "all that has gone", to our concern and disappointment.  

There were several on the QV World Cruise this year, and they were a real highlight. Hoping they continue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1