Ketchikan Landslide

1 hour ago, Menocchio said:

What I've been hearing is more along the lines of "stay off the road until it's clear". Which frankly is just good sense. One person I saw even asked those going north from the dock to cancel their excursions, but noted those going south were still welcome and appreciated. 

They will eventually figure out what will be safe.  Staying off the roads is indeed good sense until they’ve fully evaluated what further risk, if any, there might be.  Ketchikan is a lovely community and I hope people can still safely visit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mertziek said:

Your opinion only - tourism being just one of the factors those in charge need to consider.  Once they assess with their geologists where/if there is additional risk, the community can best decide what is in its best interest.  I never advocated “poor people need to be left alone for the rest of the season.”  If there is risk of additional landslides - and there are credible reports that is the case, they will have to decide how best to protect everyone and minimize liability if further events occur, including protecting tourists wanting to visit.  Once they’ve done their risk assessment, they will also be better able to decide on if any further restrictions are needed.

And just for your information, I live in an area that depends heavily on tourism for most of the year so I actually come from a tourism-based economy and know of which I speak.  Yes, tourism dollars are very important to local economy and survival BUT protecting people and minimizing further risks takes priority for community leaders.
Have a nice day…..

Ditto .. Tourism is a huge industry in Ireland and we all found out the impact it has on our daily lives when Covid happened. Pretty much every place with a substantial tourism industry knows exactly the impact of stopping tourism will have after what happened with Covid in the very recent past. So if the locals are saying they don’t want cruise traffic until they’ve sorted out the impact of a natural disaster I’d be inclined to listen to them. 
They’re not saying stop forever, they’re asking for a temporary stop until the risk is reduced. 

• Like 5