Flying into KEF

SusieV

Posted (edited)

On the way home from my cruise we have a stopover in Iceland for two nights. I didn't realize that we fly into Keflavik and not Reykjavik.

Is it better to book a hotel by the airport, or to transport to Reykjavik and stay there? Any recommendations in a reasonable budget? I'm having a hard time searching and figuring out the logistics. There are four of us and we'd need two rooms.

We also want to do some sightseeing so unsure what location is better in terms of being able to book tours. My son is hoping to visit the ice caves (we will be there in early January).

Edited by SusieV

Did you post this same question on TripAdvisor?

Get a hotel in Reykjavik.  There is very little around the airport, and the vast majority of tours start in Reykjavik.

What time does your flight land?  You'll get a much better selection of tours from Reykjavik than from Keflavik.  There is nothing around the airport hotels so unless it's to save money or you're getting in late there's not much point in staying there.  You might consider renting a car at the airport and doing the exploring on your own if you're brave enough to do that in winter.  It's a long way to the ice caves from Reykjavik.

I feel compelled to say that driving in January has nothing to do with bravery and everything to do with knowing how to frequently and accurately asses road conditions and weather, and being 100% willing to abort or change plans.  With very limited daylight, unless the OP has significant extreme winter driving skills, I would not recommend car rental as a first choice.  They could wait until they arrive, take a look at the 1-2 day forecast, then possibly drive themselves but only for day trips as they should be back in Reykjavik night 2 to ensure they make their flight out.  I would not recommend driving yourself to look for NL's.

Tours are by far the safer choice, both literally and time wise.

yes because the international airport is a good hour away. What you want to do is take the FLYBUS to the downtown airport and transfer to a taxi or UBER from there. They may even be running a local bus ... they run a bus route that hits all the major hotels, you just transfer bus at the down town airport. We did a couple of days on our own after a cruise and this is how we got to the airport ....https://www.re.is/tour/flybus/

image.thumb.png.44c2984f59c51a8e812624bf7ddd6282.png

4 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

yes because the international airport is a good hour away. What you want to do is take the FLYBUS to the downtown airport and transfer to a taxi or UBER from there. They may even be running a local bus ... they run a bus route that hits all the major hotels, you just transfer bus at the down town airport. We did a couple of days on our own after a cruise and this is how we got to the airport ....https://www.re.is/tour/flybus/

image.thumb.png.44c2984f59c51a8e812624bf7ddd6282.png

Thank you. I’m traveling with two seniors with walking difficulties.  Not sure this is doable with them and luggage.  

well as the flybus page shows a 'private ride' all the way is $$$

image.thumb.png.2875ca2f69dbf098e200316a6c0a0718.png

39.900 isk is $291.25 at today's exchange

the transfer bus from airport to downtown airport is a big fancy bus with the under storage for the bags. You may want to ride it to the downtown airport then get a taxi. Else, yep it is $$ ... how do you feel about renting a car?  Most folks feel Iceland is very easy to drive . . 

32 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

well as the flybus page shows a 'private ride' all the way is $$$

image.thumb.png.2875ca2f69dbf098e200316a6c0a0718.png

39.900 isk is $291.25 at today's exchange

the transfer bus from airport to downtown airport is a big fancy bus with the under storage for the bags. You may want to ride it to the downtown airport then get a taxi. Else, yep it is $$ ... how do you feel about renting a car?  Most folks feel Iceland is very easy to drive . . 

Thank you!  I don’t want to rent a car.  I appreciate the suggestions. 

On 8/27/2024 at 10:13 AM, Worldtraveler22 said:

I see online that the taxi prices are exorbitant.  Can it really be $200 US for a taxi from the airport to the Reykjavik cruise ship terminal?

Hi. We just returned from Iceland and we booked a private car to and from KEF airport. Yes it was expensive but so much more convenient. Around $160. 

Some taxi services also are available for around the same price. 

Flybus is about $35 pp and you usually have to transfer to a city bus to get to your hotel's closest bus stop and then carry your luggage to the hotel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wookie78 said:

Hi. We just returned from Iceland and we booked a private car to and from KEF airport. Yes it was expensive but so much more convenient. Around $160. 

Some taxi services also are available for around the same price. 

Flybus is about $35 pp and you usually have to transfer to a city bus to get to your hotel's closest bus stop and then carry your luggage to the hotel.

Do you have the name of the car service?