Seperating Kids Between Staterooms

Hi.  We are cruising with my in-laws in December on Utopia.  I've been watching the price everyday and have already received two price decreases.  We currently have 2 adults and 2 kids in one boardwalk view stateroom and two adults in another boardwalk view stateroom.   Today I noticed it had become sizably cheaper if I put 2 adults and 1 kid in two ocean view balcony rooms.  What are the implications of doing so?  Would there be any negative with this as far as boarding and such?  Would the one staying with the in-laws need a document stating they can travel with grandparents?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrinkPackageDestroyer said:

What are the implications of doing so? 

The cabin with just a kid needs to be next to or across the hall from the one with the adult. You would need to call for such a booking. Nothing else would be needed and no affect on boarding. 

Edited by Biker19

It would be just fine, since I am guessing the children will be boarding with parents, it won't be an issue. That said, you might only have bed space for 3 in each cabin if the kids want to bounce around. I can't think on a downside if everyone is good with this arrangement. Don't forget to look at the possibility of 3, 2 passenger rooms though kids would need to be next to parents room. We usually do 2 balcony rooms but the kids are teens. Our upcoming cruise, I got a 2 bedroom suite that was only slightly more than 2 ocean view balconies, when you include the value of the suite perks. Downside of 1 kid with grandparents would be kid not wanting to stay in that room, grandparents wanting a break, and other family expectations that are a personal decision.

Posted (edited)

I think OP meant 1 kid in their room & 1 with the grandparents (please correct me if I’m wrong). I see no issues with this as long as the grands are good.  If you ALL check in together there should be no issues with 1 kiddo being with the grands.  You are right there to vouch for them.  Thinking this is probably pretty common.

Edited by poocher

No one is doing a bedcheck.  The only problem might be if the room doesn't have accommodations for four people to sleep and then the grandparents would end up having to have a child in their room instead of you having both kids in your cabin.  

6 hours ago, DrinkPackageDestroyer said:

Hi.  We are cruising with my in-laws in December on Utopia.  I've been watching the price everyday and have already received two price decreases.  We currently have 2 adults and 2 kids in one boardwalk view stateroom and two adults in another boardwalk view stateroom.   Today I noticed it had become sizably cheaper if I put 2 adults and 1 kid in two ocean view balcony rooms.  What are the implications of doing so?  Would there be any negative with this as far as boarding and such?  Would the one staying with the in-laws need a document stating they can travel with grandparents?

Many rooms now only hold 3.  Make sure thst you go a mock booking for 4 guests and see the same room as you select for 3 otherwise the grandparents are going to have a kid sleeping in their room.

We have a similar setup for our upcoming Harmony cruise. Royal Caribbean automatically emailed me a Consent for Minor Child to Travel form which my daughter and I have had notarized. Our reservation is linked with my daughter/SIL/and older granddaughter's cabin, the younger (12 yo) granddaughter is assigned to our cabin. I didn't think I'd really need the form since her parents will be with us, but since granddaughter's last name is different than ours, we decided to go ahead and bring the notarized form. I'm usually a better safe than sorry kind of person! 

• Like 1