134% Solo Supplement! Really?

DavyWavey70

I Was just looking at a Muse Sailing in January (Aukland to Sydney) and the rate for P2P is £4400 pp so that's £8800 per couple or £10,300 for a solo. Even the D2D is cheaper for a couple at £14000 than a solo at £15500. How on earth can they justify that with one less air ticket? Luckily there are other lines out there that do want solo travellers but Silversea apparently don't want our business. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Those prices are truly ridiculous!  You don’t think they might be a misprint?  (BTW, I think you mean the solo supplement is 234%.)

Coincidentally, yesterday I decided to check the current price of a 2026 Silver Ray transatlantic cruise I booked back in the beginning of December last year.  The solo supplement was only 125% at the time. Today the cruise price has doubled, with the solo P2P fare only a few hundred dollars less than twin occupancy.

If Silversea is really going to charge solo cruises 200% or even more, there is a huge market they will be losing!

• Like 7

Those numbers make no sense at all and are extremely likely to be due to a website hiccup.

It's easy enough to call up and inquire. Worst case OP could book for a couple and let the other person be his cello.

Welcome to the RoyalSilverCelebritysea pricing shenanigans game. Royal and Celebrity have been fleecing solos for some time. Sounds like it is bleeding over to Silversea as well.  RCG Corporate bean counters do not want your solo business and are saying so with their pricing shell games. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Was just looking at a Muse Sailing in January (Aukland to Sydney) and the rate for P2P is £4400 pp so that's £8800 per couple or £10,300 for a solo. Even the D2D is cheaper for a couple at £14000 than a solo at £15500. How on earth can they justify that with one less air ticket? Luckily there are other lines out there that do want solo travellers but Silversea apparently don't want our business. 

That is insane! I just looked at the US website and it's $10800 for two but $12800 for one (P2P). Maybe we should book a cabin and take you along in our suitcase? This cruise includes Chris's birthday so it would be fun.

If we didn't already have the WC segment coming up at the end of January, for which we already have our plane tickets...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have noticed the occasional anomaly as DW mentioned but has anyone tried to actually book one of these cruises to see what the solo supplement really is? The SS website is well known for not being fully accurate.

Having just been on a cruise and so availing myself of the 5% onboard booking discount, I have put a deposit down on three cruises - none of them from the few remaining 25% special section nor being the usual sort of lower solo supplement itineraries (ie repos) - and each one has had only a 50% solo supplement.

So high solo supplements are not necessarily the norm.

BTW lower solo supplements only apply to Vista and Verandah cabins - any higher category is always a 100% supplement. But this is better than for example Crystal where the solo cabins are only Oceanview and in a poor location.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

I've noticed the Moon voyage I booked in April has doubled in price . Another disadvantage of higher supplement prices is the chance of less solo voyagers and hence no group cocktail party and no solo group dining together. That is always fun and something to look forward to . We have always had great participation and fun . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jpalbny said:

That is insane! I just looked at the US website and it's $10800 for two but $12800 for one (P2P). Maybe we should book a cabin and take you along in our suitcase? This cruise includes Chris's birthday so it would be fun.

If we didn't already have the WC segment coming up at the end of January, for which we already have our plane tickets...

I'm currently booked on Az in January JP around South Africa but I'm reckying alternatives in case the Mpox situation gets much worse. 

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I have noticed the occasional anomaly as DW mentioned but has anyone tried to actually book one of these cruises to see what the solo supplement really is? The SS website is well known for not being fully accurate.

Having just been on a cruise and so availing myself of the 5% onboard booking discount, I have put a deposit down on three cruises - none of them from the few remaining 25% special section nor being the usual sort of lower solo supplement itineraries (ie repos) - and each one has had only a 50% solo supplement.

So high solo supplements are not necessarily the norm.

BTW lower solo supplements only apply to Vista and Verandah cabins - any higher category is always a 100% supplement. But this is better than for example Crystal where the solo cabins are only Oceanview and in a poor location.

That was on the Book Now part Jolly not the Request Quote, so I'm assuming live pricing. I Didn't go any further through the process.

RCG also punished solos (~225%) on Celebrity last year and earlier this year.  Seems the bean counters have zeroed-in on Silversea now.  At least Celebrity appears to have gone back to the usual 200%.  I feel fortunate I was able to book three 2025/6 Silversea cruises earlier this year @ 50% before they upped the ante.  Definitely wouldn't have booked my cruises at their current solo rates.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Davey -

It's just their little way of saying "Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out!"  😛

No Chance WWFT. At this rate it may be many years before I get to back on SS. 

• Like 2