The “entitled” vs the crew

On 9/6/2024 at 10:16 AM, GMIAC said:

Here's an idea. Let's all carry a couple of $20 bills with us, and when we see someone being a jerk to a crew member, send a little love their way. I know I'm going to.

It'd be a lot more fun - and probably more effective - if we could also carry cattle prods to, uh, 'remind' the boorish guests about manners and how to treat everyone like a human being.

On 9/7/2024 at 2:55 PM, kevingastreich said:

It seems to me that all the "free" booze only contributes to the problem.  Some people turn nasty when they drink alcohol.

I think alcohol is more of an amplifier than a cause.  If you're a good person sober, you're generally a good person drunk.  But if you're an ass sober, you'll be an ass to the third power when you're drunk.

I tend to drink more when I'm on a cruise, and not once in 120+ nights on board have I EVER talked down to crewmembers or caused a scene.  I know that for a fact because if I had, my wife would remind me of the fact incessantly.  🙂

But fortunately, these people are relatively rare.  Do the math - in like 13 cruises, with 600-700 pax per cruise or so that's around what, 8,000-9,000 people we've sailed with?  And I can think of maybe 5 or 6 who I wanted to punch.

Pretty good odds.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

It'd be a lot more fun - and probably more effective - if we could also carry cattle prods to, uh, 'remind' the boorish guests about manners and how to treat everyone like a human being.

It'd be worth at least $50 per incident if I could use the cattle prod. Now to figure out how to get it through airport security.  😜

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

It'd be worth at least $50 per incident if I could use the cattle prod. Now to figure out how to get it through airport security.  😜

I wonder if George's would fit in his checked bag. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I wonder if George's would fit in his checked bag. 

Unlikely. But maybe a mousetrap hidden in the breadbasket offered to the offending guest would work. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It’s been about two weeks since we’ve been home and never in a million years would I have predicted such a varied and large number of responses. Please know that it was only one “lady” who was a jerk and as most of the online community has mentioned, the vast majority of Regent cruisers are very well-mannered, which is why we always enjoy the cruises so much. Happy cruising, fellow travelers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2024 at 10:57 AM, KenzSailing said:

Office etiquette seems to be off the clock, with people complaining about stolen lunches, spandex attire, a lack of hygiene and more"

Oh well, at least they didn't mention deck chairs.

They're probably the ones who wear jeans to Compass Rose.

• Haha 1