Cruises to New Zealand just got a bit more Expensive

I went to a couple of NZ sites and while the new fees were mentioned, they said nothing about people who already bought their NZeTA. I wonder if this change in fee amounts will be levied only at people who apply on and after Oct. 1. Maybe those of us who already have our visas will be "grandfathered" in?

Edited by applebutter

Wondering?  We are flying in a day early from the US for a April 2025 cruise and staying the night in a hotel near the port. My question, I believe we will have to  get the NZeTA , but do we also need the IVC too?  We would like to purchase these before the October 1 date, so if you  know the answer to this it would great.  Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, galelynn said:

Wondering?  We are flying in a day early from the US for an April 2025 cruise and staying the night in a hotel near the port. My question, I believe we will have to  get the NZeTA , but do we also need the IVC too?  We would like to purchase these before the October 1 date, so if you  know the answer to this it would great.  Thank you in advance.

According to https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/paying-ivl you pay the IVL when you apply for the NZeTA.

14 hours ago, galelynn said:

Wondering?  We are flying in a day early from the US for a April 2025 cruise and staying the night in a hotel near the port. My question, I believe we will have to  get the NZeTA , but do we also need the IVC too?  We would like to purchase these before the October 1 date, so if you  know the answer to this it would great.  Thank you in advance.

Yes, you will need to obtain a NZeTA before you arrive in NZ. Yes, you will also have to pay the IVC too unless you have an Australian passport or passports from some Pacific countries. You are entering the country, even those international visitors who are on cruise ships which stop in NZ have to pay the IVC. 

As far as purchasing them before Oct 1 I suggest you look at the link supplied in the previous post. That will help you. 

On 9/6/2024 at 3:22 AM, possum52 said:

Yes, you will need to obtain a NZeTA before you arrive in NZ. Yes, you will also have to pay the IVC too unless you have an Australian passport or passports from some Pacific countries. You are entering the country, even those international visitors who are on cruise ships which stop in NZ have to pay the IVC. 

As far as purchasing them before Oct 1 I suggest you look at the link supplied in the previous post. That will help you. 

I'm sorry, but I am new to all of this travel and tourist taxes and visas, but I'm not sure what the IVC is that is being referred to. I think I understand and have looked into getting the NZeTA by October 1st for our March 2025 cruise, and I saw the cost is $17 New Zealand dollars, but is the IVC an additional cost or permit to enter the country? 

On another note is this similar to what we need to do for Australia, because our cruise is leaving from Sydney, Australia and making stops in New Zealand?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, stingray310 said:

I'm sorry, but I am new to all of this travel and tourist taxes and visas, but I'm not sure what the IVC is that is being referred to. I think I understand and have looked into getting the NZeTA by October 1st for our March 2025 cruise, and I saw the cost is $17 New Zealand dollars, but is the IVC an additional cost or permit to enter the country? 

On another note is this similar to what we need to do for Australia, because our cruise is leaving from Sydney, Australia and making stops in New Zealand?

Thanks.

Yes, you will need an Australian ETA (electronic travel authority) to enter Australia. The cost is $AU20. This link will help you - How to obtain an Australian ETA. Note: this can only be applied for using the official app which you will need to download from your mobile/cell phone's app store.

Step By Step Guide to obtain an ETA.

The NZeTA is much the same but if you can't apply using the official app, you can apply online (which is under the information on how to obtain your NZeTA).

This link will help -.How to Apply for a NZeTA

The information in the link explains about the IVL which is to fund tourism infrastructure. The IVL ($NZ35) is paid for at the same time you apply for your NZeTA. 

• Like 1