Bergen - Fjord Cruise

Need help from all of you experienced people....

Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice  Emerald Princess sets sail on Tuesday, June 17, 2025

Cruise Itinerary Map

Bergen (noon to 7PM) being the first port of call, I might be too eager for a Fjord Cruise and looking at options, to which non seem to get us back on ship in time.

Do I simply keep to self guided city tour and funicular / cable car?

Appreciate your guidance.

Which fjord are you trying to visit? The most scenic parts of the Sognefjord around Flåm are a long daytrip from Bergen, and Bergen is a lovely little port city in its own right.

It’s a shame to have so few fjord ports if you’re interested in a fjord cruise, but you will have some fjord scenery on the way in and out of Olden. Are there any excursions to Geiranger from Åndalsnes?

With that timing about your only chance for a fjord tour is something like this.

https://rodne.no/en/fjord-experiences/bergen/fjordcruise-mostraumen/

It leaves from the fish market area so that would give you a little time to look around the most interesting parts of the city.  The funicular is a short walk from there also so you might be able to fit in a quick trip up and back. Only worth it if the weather is nice.

22 hours ago, OverThinker said:

Need help from all of you experienced people....

Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice  Emerald Princess sets sail on Tuesday, June 17, 2025

Cruise Itinerary Map

Bergen (noon to 7PM) being the first port of call, I might be too eager for a Fjord Cruise and looking at options, to which non seem to get us back on ship in time.

Do I simply keep to self guided city tour and funicular / cable car?

Appreciate your guidance.

https://rodne.no/en/fjord-experiences/bergen/fjordcruise-mostraumen/

2pm tour

I took the above cruise this year. It’s not as nice as the other fjords, but interesting at the end of the fjord.   It was about four hours, even though it was advertised as 3.5.  We departed at 1400 and retuned closer to 1800.  But if the ship sells this as an excursion, then you should have time.

Where does your ship  dock?  My guess is the Prima would dock in the area near the fish markets as she is large.   Our cruise left from the Bryggen area across from the Radisson Hotel.  This is about a 10 minute walk.   I do think the website indicated the ferry dock near the fish markets, but that didn’t happen.  You would have some time to explore the town, but probably not the funicular.  Take some snacks, onboard offerings very slim; ice cream shop next to-the Radisson sells snacks. 

You do visit Olden which is beautiful.  

Sorry, my bad, you are on is a Princess ship, but it is still large.  We were on the Sky in late May and used the dock by the fish market.  We also visited pre cruise.  Over two days the ships we saw dock closer to the Bryggen area were much smaller.