Solo passenger placement on large tables set time second seating on Queen Anne

Lakesregion

Back in the day Cunard seeed to be very good at placing solo passengers at large table (at their request) with other solo passengres of close to similar age and not with groups of couples or one large group that is not really interested in outside guests.

How is the current mix being handled on the QA for such solo folks (Males in particular). On my last two cruises on other lines, I have ended up dining solo because the diningroom could not find sufficient other guests to join in the fun of a large table.

5 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Back in the day Cunard seeed to be very good at placing solo passengers at large table (at their request) with other solo passengres of close to similar age and not with groups of couples or one large group that is not really interested in outside guests.

How is the current mix being handled on the QA for such solo folks (Males in particular). On my last two cruises on other lines, I have ended up dining solo because the diningroom could not find sufficient other guests to join in the fun of a large table.

I was placed on a sharing table when I checked it on embarkation day but declined it straight away as I prefer a solo table to my self - I am female and in my sixties for reference. I was swopped to a two top to myself. I can’t comment how they work out the composition of groups but I don’t suppose they have access to your age etc.. when allocating your table. I have never had a problem being allocated a solo table but these last two cruises QM and QA have initially been assigned to a table of six. Going to check my table is part of my embarkation day ritual and am always there when they open. Even if your checked you were on a sharing table you won’t know who your other companions are until you dine for the first time.  The solo meet ups may help you meet other solos. Again not my thing so have never been so can’t comment on how useful they are. I suppose it depends on as you say how many similar solos there are for you to join with. There are several other solos on here who may give you more useful advice. 

On Queen Anne in May I was allocated anytime dining and was informed I would not be able to share a table for the entire voyage. I was very unhappy with that arrangement as I enjoy the company of others at dinner.

The restaurant were not interested in changing the situation but reception kindly changed me to late sitting on a table for 8.  Ironically the table I was given was one of the very best in the Britannia restaurant and we are all still in touch.

• Like 3

On Queen Anne, I was on a table for six, but only one other diner showed up. (Winifred22, I wonder if we would have been tablemates?) My companion was fresh off Victoria and on her way to Mary, and reported that she'd had the same problem on Victoria - assigned to a large table but nobody showing up.

I suspect part of the issue was that these were a hot weather cruises, so a lot of people were choosing to spend a bit more time enjoying the sun, rather than heading inside to dress up.

• Like 1

I think people who ask for a large table are interested in other people and having company at meals. Cunard should make sure that happens. There are enough solos on a Cunard voyage that it shouldn't be hard to do. I have been very lucky with shared tables on Cunard. In fact, I asked the F&B manager how they put tables together so well. She said "it's an art," which didn't answer my question. Here are my last three experiences.

On QV, we were at an oval 10-top way at the back on the upper level, fixed dining. 8 singles and one couple. Five countries. Age range from 40s to 70s. I don't see how some algorithm would put us together, but it was a fantastic table. Each night, we just filled in as we arrived, so no set seats, we sat next to different people each night. After dinner, most of us migrated to the show as a group, then on to the Queens Room, or sometimes Commodore Club. I joked that it was good we were way at the back because we were the rowdy table, always laughing at something.

On QA in PG, it was a 6-top, all singles. Three countries, ages ranging from 40s to maybe 80. Very pleasant, good conversations, only a little loud laughing one night when Janette and I got to singing "He had it Coming" from Chicago because I had been the murderer at the Bright Lights show the night before.

On QE in PG, it was a 6-top, 2 singles, 2 couples. US and UK. Great group, lots of interesting stories, plenty of laughter. This was my Alaska cruise, when the weather was dreary EVERY day, but the evenings were always bright because of my dinner companions. 

• Like 2