Are we going to be sleepless in Seattle???

3Shelaghs

Would appreciate recommendations for downtown or airport hotel. 
Travelling with very beautiful teenage girls who are new to the cruise industry.... aka I'm trying to get things near perfect 🙂

Need reputable clean, safe hotel ideas.(they won't be on their own). Reviews for most are all over the map. Kids don't care along as it's clean, but adults have "creature comforts"....lol

Don't mind spending one night pre cruse at airport as we will all be dead tired, but one night post cruise on a Sunday is the stickler. Trying to find somewhere to stay that will offer proximity to "things to do" to keep them entertained. Reminder, Toronto has the CN tower, the Ripley Aquarium, and the Zoo, and the Jays (sigh), so these types of entertainment is a no go. Anything in the immediate area outside of town so we could rent a car? Or theatre?

Being from Toronto area, we all know where "not to go", but being a newbie to Seattle we haven't a clue....ps this is their grandmother................

Not sure why those activities are a “no go”- you don’t like visiting other landmarks or baseball stadiums?

I’d reccomend Hilton Garden Inn South Lake Union or Courtyard by Marriott SLU. Both are reasonably priced, modern and clean. You’re in walking distance of the Museum of History and Industry (and a great place to watch seaplanes land and take off), the Museum of Pop Culture, and while the Space Needle might not be good enough for the CN tower, the Chulily museum next door is worth a look around. You’re also close to McCaw Hall, a live music venue, as well as KEXP, which  has a lot of music history to Seattle, and Climate Pledge Arena which brings in big names for concerts. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 3

If you do decide to book a hotel in DT Seattle, especially in July, it would be best to book it sooner than later.  And as an FYI, if you are sailing out of Pier 91 (all cruise line except NCL), there are no hotels directly nearby.

You also might consider googling what events, concerts are expected during the two weekends that you will be in Seattle.

1 hour ago, psuboater said:

Not sure why those activities are a “no go”- you don’t like visiting other landmarks or baseball stadiums?

I’d reccomend Hilton Garden Inn South Lake Union or Courtyard by Marriott SLU. Both are reasonably priced, modern and clean. You’re in walking distance of the Museum of History and Industry (and a great place to watch seaplanes land and take off), the Museum of Pop Culture, and while the Space Needle might not be good enough for the CN tower, the Chulily museum next door is worth a look around. You’re also close to McCaw Hall, a live music venue, as well as KEXP, which  has a lot of music history to Seattle, and Climate Pledge Arena which brings in big names for concerts. 

I'm a lover of "it all", but I'm trying to offer something different for them. McCaw Hall sounds great, will keep my eyes on performances. Mariners are away that Sunday, which is too bad as all of them would've loved a game (in a real ball park!!)

Museum of Pop looks good. Are the stores open on a Sunday? And if we stay near airport, is there a mall close by?

Thanks for all the suggestions... and yes, will definitely book this week.

18 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I'm a lover of "it all", but I'm trying to offer something different for them. McCaw Hall sounds great, will keep my eyes on performances. Mariners are away that Sunday, which is too bad as all of them would've loved a game (in a real ball park!!)

Museum of Pop looks good. Are the stores open on a Sunday? And if we stay near airport, is there a mall close by?

Thanks for all the suggestions... and yes, will definitely book this week.

With teens MoPOP would be my pick   I ca spend hours there 

• Like 2

Are the stores open on a Sunday? And if we stay near airport, is there a mall close by?

There's a big mall, Southcenter, a fairly short distance from the airport, but like most malls in the country it's seen better days.  

One thought I had for the Sunday is to stay in the University District, specifically at the Hilton Graduate Hotel - Graduate by Hilton Seattle Hotel near University of Washington

This is a lovely art deco highrise (around 100 years old) that's located a half block from the U-District light rail station, which offers direct light rail trains to downtown and to the airport.  

While I agree MoPop is a good idea, the U District also offers quite a lot - the marvelous Burke Museum of Natural History is a couple of blocks from the hotel on the spectacularly beautiful University of Washington campus.  The campus is terrific for a stroll, with the Suzzallo Library looking like Hogwarts, the Henry Art Gallery with a revolving collection of fine art, and lovely views of Mount Rainier past the fountains.

If you want to go shopping, the VERY upscale University Village outdoor shopping center is walkable (or probably more comfortable in an Uber as its at the bottom of a rather steep hill.)  There are also numerous funky shops and MANY affordable cafes along "the Ave," aka University Way, the district's main drag.  Note there's a fair amount of street life at night on the Ave, but the level of unsavory behavior is way down from years past.  

Home - University Village® (uvillage.com)

Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/QotwTzRZXKLXFZTN9

• Like 2