OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE SEPTEMBER

morpheusofthesea

Really cannot get over how much better the whole ship is being not as crowded. Having been stuck to school calendars has not been as good cruising as we thought it was for years. It is better cruising outside school vacation times. Did not ever realize how much better til this cruise. The crew and staff are friendlier and more relaxed as well. I think this clinches it. Retirement begins the end of this school year.

P.S. It just occurred to me that perhaps cruising outside the YC in steerage might also be better for the "wretched Refuse yearning to (sail) free." Just a cursory walk through the MarketPlace Buffet appears to be more civil.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Really cannot get over how much better the whole ship is being not as crowded. Having been stuck to school calendars has not been as good cruising as we thought it was for years. It is better cruising outside school vacation times. Did not ever realize how much better til this cruise. The crew and staff are friendlier and more relaxed as well. I think this clinches it. Retirement begins the end of this school year.

DH and I cannot wait to retire so we can enjoy cruising outside of the constraints of the school calendar! Seven years for me… 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

P.S. It just occurred to me that perhaps cruising outside the YC in steerage might also be better for the "wretched Refuse yearning to (sail) free." Just a cursory walk through the MarketPlace Buffet appears to be more civil.

I could have told you this...because we never cruise during school vacations. Even 
"lowly Carnival" is fine when school's in session.  You just get a few (as I call them) "gifted students"....who either are home schooled or don't need formal education.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

"lowly Carnival" is fine when school's in session

I wouldn't go that far. The Royalty treatment is still missing on every other cruise line. Tried RCCL Star Class, Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven, Holland America Pinnacle Suite, Regent Seven Seas Grandeur Grand Suite will not sail sail with them again. Can recommend Explora Journeys, minus the Royal Treatment. We are going to try Oceania Vista Owners suite this coming Spring Break. (Might try Celebrity Edge again, but not Celebrity Beyond).

5 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I wouldn't go that far. The Royalty treatment is still missing on every other cruise line. Tried RCCL Star Class, Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven, Holland America Pinnacle Suite, Regent Seven Seas Grandeur Grand Suite will not sail sail with them again. Can recommend Explora Journeys, minus the Royal Treatment. We are going to try Oceania Vista Owners suite this coming Spring Break. (Might try Celebrity Edge again, but not Celebrity Beyond).

I didn't say you'd get Royalty Treatment....just civilized adults without rugrats running all over the place.  We did a CCL cruise last Jan...and really enjoyed it.  We're doing the same one again in November. 

However, DH is 90 and uses a cane.  You'd be surprised how accommodating people are.  On CCL staff went out of their way to service him.  (Off topic...but even in the NYC subway...full of criminals, homeless and migrants...one of the above will always get up to give him a seat.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Which is to say, your own, subjective definition of "Royalty treatment" is missing from every other cruise line, yes?

In a manner to which I have become accustomed on MSC Yacht Clubs.

AI Overview 

"The phrase "the royal treatment" refers to treating someone in a way that is very attentive and elaborate, as if they are very important.

noun. : a manner of acting toward someone that is suitable for very important people : very elaborate and attentive treatment. The hotel gave us the royal treatment."

Just so we are on the same page.

Now after lunch I will elaborate with examples and photographic proof of our experiences. Lunch today is another of my favorites, fish and chips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

. We are going to try Oceania Vista Owners suite this coming Spring Break. (Might try Celebrity Edge again, but not Celebrity Beyond).

A long time Celebrity Retreat cruise is currently doing a Vista suite on an Oceania cruise and posting his live review on the Mail Celebrity Board.  If  you are looking at Oceania you might want to take a look at his review that is currently  in progress. 

If you stop by and say hello to him, please tell him I sent you 🙂 

• Thanks 1

The other day I touched a door button to gain access to the One Pool Deck. On past cruises I needed only to wave my hand within an inch of the door button and the automatic door would open. Alas more sensitive buttons are probably on back order? Anyway I went over to the hand washing station at the entrance of the YC Buffet to wash my contaminated finger thoroughly, scrubbing all 10 fingers and two hands in the process. The touchless faucet worked fine, but no light brown paper towels to dry my hands.

Today at lunch our assistant waiter presented my DW with this masterpiece he created out of light brown paper ? Now knowing the secrets of the @Best Cat Mom' DH using greater quantities of raw material to create more stabile product, DW asked how many pieces of paper were used in its creation....2.

IMG_4196.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Today at lunch our assistant waiter presented my DW with this masterpiece he created out of light brown paper ?

Well at least now you know where all the brown paper towels went.  I bet he has a stash of those hidden away somewhere just ready to pass out to various DW's as the cruise progresses. 

p.s. drink more champage -- BCD needs more supplies to meet the ever growing demand for his wonderful creations. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Well at least now you know where all the brown paper towels went.  I bet he has a stash of those hidden away somewhere just ready to pass out to various DW's as the cruise progresses. 

p.s. drink more champage -- BCD needs more supplies to meet the ever growing demand for his wonderful creations. 

My thoughts entirely.

• Like 1

Here is my proof photo of the reserving of seats ONLY for Officers and Staff at the once a cruise Grand Barbecue on the Regent Sevens Seas Grandeur. I asked my personal butler how does that work when we found out too late to attend? The tables are FCFS basis for passengers. I asked what about accommodations for suite guests...NONE.  Why was I not notified in advance....no answer. We went anyway to check out the situation and commiserated with other passengers upset about the situation as well. This is where I photoed the "RESERVED" tables and an officer seated at one.

This is not anyone's definition of being treated like Royalty. Whereas our personal butler just told us about the upcoming Island Party and if we would like to attend he will reserve us a table on MSC Seascape.

IMG_3751.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I bet he has a stash of those hidden away somewhere just ready to pass out to various DW's as the cruise progresses. 

Yes it is alright for us to be cynical. But for a waiter that we had on the Regent Grandeur to not be able to find my DW some chocolate chip cookies for dessert the last evening of the cruise (had just tipped him before dessert, learned to tip after last meal). We will take any act of kindness, and not try and second guess their real motives. graciously.