Easter in Los Angeles for a Silversea cruise.

Bobreg

Hi everyone.

We are Lise and Robert from Montreal.  We will board the Silver Moon in April 2025 on Saturday of the Easter weekend. This will be our second cruise on the Moon and Silversea after our upcoming TA crossing in November.

We are wondering if the Easter weekend is busy in L.A.   

We plan to arrive a few days earlier and we are debating about renting a car or to rely on Uber or taxis.  Are people leaving the city or is there an influx of visitors coming to town.  Are they driving or flying from the LAX airport?  Also, should we stay near the San Pedro terminal or should we stay farther away and go to the port on embarkation day?

We are starting to plan our stay in LA and we would like to ear from people familiar with the city situation during the long weekend (traffic, flights, closures, celebrations, etc...)

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Bobreg said:

Hi everyone.

We are Lise and Robert from Montreal.  We will board the Silver Moon in April 2025 on Saturday of the Easter weekend. This will be our second cruise on the Moon and Silversea after our upcoming TA crossing in November.

We are wondering if the Easter weekend is busy in L.A.   

We plan to arrive a few days earlier and we are debating about renting a car or to rely on Uber or taxis.  Are people leaving the city or is there an influx of visitors coming to town.  Are they driving or flying from the LAX airport?  Also, should we stay near the San Pedro terminal or should we stay farther away and go to the port on embarkation day?

We are starting to plan our stay in LA and we would like to ear from people familiar with the city situation during the long weekend (traffic, flights, closures, celebrations, etc...)

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I'll be in LA for 2 nights and on the Hawaii cruise. There are several hotel choices in the LAX area.  We stayed in one at least once.  We used Uber instead of a hotel shuttle to avoid waiting and trying to find the shuttle.  This time I'm considering staying somewhere between LAX and San Pedro along the coast, possibly Manhattan Beach.  San Pedro is not an area I would recommend for a hotel stay longer than 1 night.  I stayed in Long Beach years ago and enjoyed it.  Queen Mary was open for exploring.  Cabins were musty but could be booked for overnight stays.  There was a tourist bus to get around.  Not sure what has changed since covid.  Driving is insane just about everywhere.  I use Ubers to secure the price and have someone driving who knows the freeways, etc.  Fortunately, we won't be on the roads on Easter Sunday when it may be difficult to get an Uber.  

14 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

San Pedro is not an area I would recommend for a hotel stay longer than 1 night. 

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Can you please give us more details why you wouldn't stay more than a night in San Pedro. We started looking for hotel in the Long Beach area but it quite far from the airport and the San Pedro terminal. Is Hollywood area a better idea or should we stay around the airport?  One thing we would like to visit is the Peterson's museum. We will see you onboard.

I'm on this one too and did not realize it was Easter weekend.Im flying in on the seventeenth. I have a friend in LA and will stay the night there and go to San Pedro for the second night . The Hilton Doubletree has a shuttle to go to the terminal . I am using Lyft to get from LA to San Pedro . I'm staying three nights in Vancouver as I have someone to see there as well at an art gallery . Will see you on board . Love the sea days on this voyage !

2 hours ago, Bobreg said:

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Can you please give us more details why you wouldn't stay more than a night in San Pedro. We started looking for hotel in the Long Beach area but it quite far from the airport and the San Pedro terminal. Is Hollywood area a better idea or should we stay around the airport?  One thing we would like to visit is the Peterson's museum. We will see you onboard.

Hotels in Long Beach are better than in San Pedro.  It's not far from the cruise port.  I use maps and prices for hotels as a rough estimate of the neighborhoods in general.  There are websites to show nearby restaurants, etc.  Decide if you want to be able to walk around in the neighborhood and how you plan to spend your days.  MapQuest can give you estimates for travel time, restaurants, etc.  Be sure to check recent reviews for whichever hotels you are considering.  Parking can be expensive and problematic.  

Edited by Travel2Learn

14 minutes ago, Travel2Learn said:

Be sure to check recent reviews for whichever hotels you are considering.  Parking can be expensive and problematic.

Thanks.

We always check the ratings on trip advisor and I walk around the area using Google map to see what it's like in the neighborhood and the parking spaces in case we decide to rent a car.

7 hours ago, Bobreg said:

We will board the Silver Moon in April 2025 on Saturday of the Easter weekend.

I lived there a number of years ago so hopefully this will help a bit.  If the Moon sails the day before Easter, the LA Unified School District is on vacation from April 14-18.  That means that many of the attractions are going to full of families.  As an example, Disneyland just south in Orange County is going to be packed and the beach traffic will be heavy.  That said, I would personally stay in Santa Monica close to the pier or in Venice where the walking is excellent on the boardwalk.

Wilshire Blvd. from the Santa Monica Pier through West LA and Beverly Hill is packed with great restaurants and in Beverly Hills, walking on Rodeo Drive is always a hoot, you never know what celebrities you might see.  That area of LA, driving east and west shouldn't be much of a problem and you shouldn't need to get on the highways.  Outside, a little north, your hotel can give you other ideas of how to get to places like Hollywood or take a tour at Universal Studio or Warner Bros.  They'll be busy but probably not crazy.

Before you leave, you might consider turning in your car and take an Uber to the pier.

38 minutes ago, Fortunate2 said:

If the Moon sails the day before Easter, the LA Unified School District is on vacation from April 14-18. 

If we understand correctly, the kids will be in vacation the whole week before the cruise.  We were not planning to visit the theme parks but instead the Petersen's automotive museum, the Griffith observatory and maybe like you suggested, Rodeo drive.  We should drop the car in San Pedro before noon, so the taxi ride should be short.  Does anyone know what time we can drop the luggage and register for the cruise?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Bobreg said:

If we understand correctly, the kids will be in vacation the whole week before the cruise.  We were not planning to visit the theme parks but instead the Petersen's automotive museum, the Griffith observatory and maybe like you suggested, Rodeo drive.  We should drop the car in San Pedro before noon, so the taxi ride should be short.  Does anyone know what time we can drop the luggage and register for the cruise?

Thanks.

Hello Bobreg

Im somewhat of a local, I live near LA. I would personally chose a hotel in West LA. Century City,  Westwood or even West Hollywod. Stay away from Hollywood. You would be between Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica/Venice area. The Petersen automobile museum is in the West LA area, near LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art), Academy Museum of Motion Pictures and La Brea tar pits. I may also suggest visiting the Getty Center. 
Traffic in LA is horrible, public transport is not convenient. Using Uber can be expensive, so is paying for parking if you decide to rent a car. Walking is not an option. 
hope this helps 

J

FWIW, I'm on this cruise and am flying into Santa Ana airport, taking a taxi to Long Beach, staying there for two days, then taking a taxi to San Pedro.

IMO, and from previous experience, LAX, LA, and San Pedro are best avoided.

I suppose if you haven't been to LA before, areas north and east of LAX may hold some appeal, but this is so true:

"Traffic in LA is horrible, public transport is not convenient. Using Uber can be expensive, so is paying for parking if you decide to rent a car. Walking is not an option"

11 hours ago, quepaquete said:

Traffic in LA is horrible, public transport is not convenient. Using Uber can be expensive, so is paying for parking if you decide to rent a car. Walking is not an option.

Hi.

Following your comments, we reserved a car, pick-up LAX airport, drop off San Pedro area location, but they close at noon on Saturday.  Since we read somewhere that we cannot check-in for the cruise before noon, we were planning to stay close to San Pedro to avoid traffic and congestion (like in the picture) going to the port, even if it would be a longer drive to visit your suggested places.  We figured that leaving the hotel around check-out time of 11:00 and driving half an hour max would allow us to get to the port around noon.

Therefore, we were looking for hotels in the Torrance vicinity, say from Long Beach going west to Wilmington/Harbor city, Carson and the beaches area (Redondo-Hermosa).  Are those areas OK?

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

I-80 accident.jpg

We use Uber.  Parking is difficult a lot of places, plus the traffic issue.  I just prefer to have someone else deal with that stress.

San Pedro is a bit grubby.  I would not stay there.  Long Beach would be fine.  Or West Hollywood.

"LA is a great big freeway

(put a hundred down and buy a car)"

I go to LA rarely. Because the traffic is terrible OP should try to choose one or two things to do and plan around that with the objective of minimizing driving.

If I go there again- I would go to the Getty Museum. Haven't been there yet.

From Long Beach- there are whale watching day trips.

14 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Done Torrance. 
Never been back. 
Nothing there. 

Done Hermosa Beach. 
Never been back. 
Nothing there. 

Hi.

I am not planning to visit those areas, just sleep in those, with a sense of safety at night.

Just not wanting to be in traffic the morning of boarding the ship.

Thanks.

I've changed my mind and am thinking of staying in West Hollywood both days and visit friends . I am going to hire a private car service to go from LAX to WEHO and the same service to go to the cruise port leaving at around noon on that Saturday . I've noticed that the only other ship in port that day is the Discovery Princess. My check in time  on Moon is 2 pm and I think that will work fine and get there in plenty of time . Jolly ..I was on your trivia team one time so I am looking forward to saying hello again .  😊

11 hours ago, Bobreg said:

Hi.

Following your comments, we reserved a car, pick-up LAX airport, drop off San Pedro area location, but they close at noon on Saturday.  Since we read somewhere that we cannot check-in for the cruise before noon, we were planning to stay close to San Pedro to avoid traffic and congestion (like in the picture) going to the port, even if it would be a longer drive to visit your suggested places.  We figured that leaving the hotel around check-out time of 11:00 and driving half an hour max would allow us to get to the port around noon.

Therefore, we were looking for hotels in the Torrance vicinity, say from Long Beach going west to Wilmington/Harbor city, Carson and the beaches area (Redondo-Hermosa).  Are those areas OK?

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

I-80 accident.jpg

Sorry for the delay response. 
those areas you mentioned are okay, but I wouldn’t recommend them. There is not much to do there, and you would be far from everything.  I know you want a place to sleep, but you also need a place to eat. You would have more options closer to LA. Archipelago mentioned WeHo, and i agree with that choice. Hotels are more expensive, but you it would be safer for walking around if you feel like it. 
By the way, on your original post, you asked it people leave the city, or if there is an influx of visitors for Easter weekend. I would say both! But on the Saturday that you leave, traffic should not be too bad.

11 hours ago, quepaquete said:

Sorry for the delay response. 

No need to apologize, your advice is welcomed anytime.

12 hours ago, quepaquete said:

those areas you mentioned are okay, but I wouldn’t recommend them. There is not much to do there, and you would be far from everything.

We are going to look in Long Beach and WEHO as you suggested since the traffic should be light on Saturday as you mentioned to go to the port.

Thanks again all and see some of you onboard, maybe at trivia???

Post number 8 is closest I see that offers good advice.  Mine would be to study Google maps.

LAX to Petersen.  It's hard to give advice to a stranger visiting LA area for first time.  Too many options.  There is a Marriott Courtyard walking distance to museum.  2.5 miles and you're on Rodeo Drive with lots of nearby nice, pricey hotels.  Just for location, hard to top Beverly Wilshire and their room service breakfast.  You could entertain yourself for two nights in this area and save renting a car.  

Riviera Beach area of Redondo Beach.  I've had more good times here.  And not much has changed since forever.  If you're under 50, I'd consider this area.  Safest, cleanest place to stay and play.  Not to be confused Redondo Beach Pier area, which is the tourist spot.  If you do this after the museum, renting car works best.  And if you choose to stay in Redondo, take Palos Verdes Drive to San Pedro.  

On 9/14/2024 at 7:58 AM, jollyjones said:

FWIW, I'm on this cruise and am flying into Santa Ana airport, taking a taxi to Long Beach, staying there for two days, then taking a taxi to San Pedro.

IMO, and from previous experience, LAX, LA, and San Pedro are best avoided.

I suppose if you haven't been to LA before, areas north and east of LAX may hold some appeal, but this is so true:

"Traffic in LA is horrible, public transport is not convenient. Using Uber can be expensive, so is paying for parking if you decide to rent a car. Walking is not an option"

Hope to see you aboard. We are considering the first leg from FLL too if i can convince DrSpins to go aboard for that many days, i will pack the Thorazine mist.

22 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Hope to see you aboard. We are considering the first leg from FLL too if i can convince DrSpins to go aboard for that many days, i will pack the Thorazine mist.

Excellent news Spins, I'll look forward to it.

I might have considered the Canal leg too but I just did it this past April on the Nova - in fact, it was going ashore in San Pedro on our way to Vancouver that reminded me all over again why I stay in Long Beach.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Excellent news Spins, I'll look forward to it.

I might have considered the Canal leg too but I just did it this past April on the Nova - in fact, it was going ashore in San Pedro on our way to Vancouver that reminded me all over again why I stay in Long Beach.

Just booked it. See you in April!!!